Volunteering on an Eagle Project, I'm slated to do 90% of work??

19 minutes ago, fred johnson said:

From what I get here is ... a well meaning adult said he'd help ... then that offer grew to be disproportionate with what was originally intended.  IMHO, the adult should simply state his feelings with the scout.  It's the scout's project.  The scout should handle things like this.  And a volunteer should be comfortable saying things like that.  

I think the Eagle Coach and unit/district leaders did this Scout a disservice approving a project where the most he could do was wield a screwdriver, unless his proposal and plan illustrated how he would plan, develop and lead this project. 

11 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

I think the Eagle Coach and unit/district leaders did this Scout a disservice approving a project ... 

I tend to agree.  But at the same time, it is explicitly intended and stated that scouts are given wide latitude in what type of project is acceptable.  We don't to put too many limits on the scout or the country will be buried under the weight of a million picnic tables.  

From what I've seen, the projects that do have trouble at their eagle board of review are as above.  The scout heavily depends on one person or an external resource or essentially gives up control of their project.  

Perhaps that should be an evaluation criteria?  Will the scout be in control of his own project?  Will the scout have the understanding and involvement such that he's influencing the detailed execution of the project.   If he's not, it could be argued it's not his project or that he's just contracting out the project.  We just don't want that.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 3:45 PM, fred johnson said:

We don't to put too many limits on the scout

True, and I have no problem with this.  Unfortunately, BSA doesn't allow too many responsibilities to be placed on the Scout either, which is why I sadly just called it quits as Advancement Chair for my Troop after over a decade and 50 Eagles.  Far too many parents earning Eagle.  When I realized I was ready to tell a couple of parents the Scout store product ID# for an Eagle medal and just go to Council to buy one to save everyone time and paperwork, I knew it was time for me to leave.  

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, DadScouts said:

True, and I have no problem with this.  Unfortunately, BSA doesn't allow too many responsibilities to be placed on the Scout either, which is why I sadly just called it quits as Advancement Chair for my Troop after over a decade and 50 Eagles.  Far too many parents earning Eagle.  When I realized I was ready to tell a couple of parents the Scout store product ID# for an Eagle medal and just go to Council to buy one to save everyone time and paperwork, I knew it was time for me to leave.  

I feel like saying that to a scout in my troop :confused: