I am new to scouting and the committee.  I have recently found out that our Committee Chair has our pack trailer registered and titled only in her name.  She has threatened to leave the pack.  If this is the case where does the trailer go?  She bought it with pack money but she has been in control of the finances for 14 years and our last audit was done 11 years ago.  In short is it safe to assume she owns the trailer since her name is the only one on it and the pack will not be able to get it unless she is willing to sign it over?  Who should the pack trailer be registered, titled, and insured by?

Edited by Redman
Addition
1 hour ago, Redman said:

I am new to scouting and the committee.  I have recently found out that our Committee Chair has our pack trailer registered and titled only in her name.  She has threatened to leave the pack.  If this is the case where does the trailer go?  She bought it with pack money but she has been in control of the finances for 14 years and our last audit was done 11 years ago.  In short is it safe to assume she owns the trailer since her name is the only one on it and the pack will not be able to get it unless she is willing to sign it over?  Who should the pack trailer be registered, titled, and insured by?

The charter organization owns all Pack assets, so if she leaves and takes the trailer she is breaking the law.

Of course, unless there is a way to prove the Pack paid for the trailer (or was with Pack money) you might just be pointing fingers. There are a few lawyers around here who might be coerced in to providing their thoughts.

• Upvote 1

Well not the best news but it was what I was expecting.  So who is the trailer supposed to be registered to?  I would like to see it under the pack or our CO but everything I have read the pack is not allowed to own property.  Is this a law or BSA policy?

52 minutes ago, Redman said:

Well not the best news but it was what I was expecting.  So who is the trailer supposed to be registered to?  I would like to see it under the pack or our CO but everything I have read the pack is not allowed to own property.  Is this a law or BSA policy?

In our unit the trailer is registered to the church but under the troop's name, using the church's address and the COR's name as the contact. It is listed as a multi-use trailer and has several named users (all ASMs and troop committee people). Insurance is done the same way. When BSA says units cannot own property I think they mean land, although any assets the unit buys (tents, stoves, etc.) are CO property, so maybe they mean property in that sense too.

Given that you have not had an audit in 11 years, it makes me wonder what else might be going on behind the scenes. It is suspicious that anyone thinks they can take a group asset when they leave an organization. That's a big red flag in my book.

It usually is under the Charting Organizations name and insurance. I’ve read on here that some COs don’t allow/don’t want them to and end up having to put it under a leader’s or getting a insurance separate. 

I never would’ve let her put it in her name. Maybe under her insurance, but in the packs name.

As said someone above in another post, they have it registered with the CO but under the troops name which is most common.

21 hours ago, Redman said:

Should be registered and titled under the name of the CO.  

• Upvote 1

Should be under the CO. 

If it is in fact registered in her name, then she is on the hook for any damage or liability that arise out of it's use.  Presume she is paying the registration each year and (depending on the state) any ad valorem tax, and maintaining insurance on the trailer.

For our unit the trailer is registered and tagged by the church.  Typically we forget to look at the tag and have in fact been stopped on the way to an outings due to expired tags.  Most officers send us on our way (met a really nice Eagle Scout who was with the State Patrol one time) and we get the sticker from the church.  Also we got a ticket in the HOV lane one time that came to the church.  Good times, we paid the $25