Concerns with coed rules, leadership, liability

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You keep asking that question and we answering it. The program changed a lot with the admittance of women leaders. There didn't appear to be a lot of changes from the outside, but it was obvious from

In Europe the school system and mothers work very hard to soak young boys in feminine values like accepting responsibility for household chores, being caring, understanding and attentive, and bend to

I would slightly differ in that view.  BSA National and pretty much every interview CSE has had emphasized and at times over emphasized family.  He talks about families doing things together, that fam

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Right, because heaven forbid everybody should know what is going on.

(That is directed at National, not you.)

Apparently some people shared the video (it leaked).  Those individuals are now being tossed out of the FB group.   The video wasn’t controversial it was simply stating some reasoning behind the June 11 date and clarity of leadership requirements.  

On 4/20/2018 at 4:56 PM, Eagle1993 said:

Apparently some people shared the video (it leaked).  Those individuals are now being tossed out of the FB group.   The video wasn’t controversial it was simply stating some reasoning behind the June 11 date and clarity of leadership requirements.  

at National's request?  Interesting they'll enforce a no link rule, but not a rule on packs/troops running things properly. 

Again, at the very root of this whole mess is the clandestine nature.  Everything is hush hush, top secret.  It's not remotely scout-like, it's not prepared in the least and it gives zero reason for anyone to believe National is trustworthy.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

at National's request?  Interesting they'll enforce a no link rule, but not a rule on packs/troops running things properly. 

Again, at the very root of this whole mess is the clandestine nature.  Everything is hush hush, top secret.  It's not remotely scout-like, it's not prepared in the least and it gives zero reason for anyone to believe National is trustworthy.  

The FB group is run by volunteers and they submitted questions to a National BSA member.  That individual recorded answers (only the female CM/ACM answer was controversial).  I think the admins were upset the video leaked as it means the group may see less direct answers from national.  I didn’t see any evidence that National requested this.  Note that the only info regarding requiring a female CM/ACM for Girl or coed Packs was on that video.  There was a lot of pushback and so far there hasn’t been confirmation that is going to be official policy.   I believe that is also the reason the admins don’t want videos floating around of National BSA members on policies they may be in flux (just guessing).  We are waiting on an update that should be going to executives this week.

14 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

The FB group is run by volunteers and they submitted questions to a National BSA member.  That individual recorded answers (only the female CM/ACM answer was controversial).  I think the admins were upset the video leaked as it means the group may see less direct answers from national.  I didn’t see any evidence that National requested this.  Note that the only info regarding requiring a female CM/ACM for Girl or coed Packs was on that video.  There was a lot of pushback and so far there hasn’t been confirmation that is going to be official policy.   I believe that is also the reason the admins don’t want videos floating around of National BSA members on policies they may be in flux (just guessing).  We are waiting on an update that should be going to executives this week.

I think you just made Gwaihir's point.  We're what, three or four or five months before the full launch (depending on whose information you can believe), why is National still guessing what the program will look like?  Summer Day Camp deadlines have come and gone and nobody has even told us officially when we can accept girls!  Well, technically we've been told mid-September, but, unofficially we've been told other stuff by the same professionals.  My pack isn't an early adopter but it sure would be nice to know the required leadership structure NOW so we can, you know, be prepared for the launch. It's full on amateur hour.

• Upvote 3

As a mom of 4 boys, I appreciated having a club where my boys could be boys. They had a place to develop into healthy young men and foster relationships with other boys their age. I am extremely concerned about the thought of inviting girls into their troop. This will undoubtedly change the dynamic of our troop and prevent my boys from enjoying that comradery they have felt with the other boys. Boys need to have some separation from girls and be rough, wild, and appreciate being raised as boys. This segregated time is very important to their well being. I think one of the problems with our society is that the gender roles are being confused and this is causing obstacles for BOTH genders. I hope the boys eventually create a "new" BOYS ONLY association! Things were fine. The girls had their club, my boys had theirs. 

What is the current official word on the requirement for there to be a female DL/ADL present? I have an overnighter coming up and while the pack has women that are YPT, they have different roles within the pack - and you can't have two different leadership positions as an adult leader so we can't simply ask one of our other female leaders to step in and be an ADL for the camp out.

16 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

What is the current official word on the requirement for there to be a female DL/ADL present? I have an overnighter coming up and while the pack has women that are YPT, they have different roles within the pack - and you can't have two different leadership positions as an adult leader so we can't simply ask one of our other female leaders to step in and be an ADL for the camp out.

For early adopter Packs the requirement is an adult female over 21 YPT must be present.  So as long as one of the female leaders attend you should be ok.

Going into next year the female ADL/DL will be required for every girls den.  I don’t know if that means every female den leader must attend every overnight or if you can simply ensure some female den leader coverage.  I think our pack will ensure we have female ADL or DL for every den and ensure at least 1 of them attends pack overnights to provide the YPT coverage... but I need to obtain my MS in YPT first before I can say conclusively.