Concerns with coed rules, leadership, liability

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You keep asking that question and we answering it. The program changed a lot with the admittance of women leaders. There didn't appear to be a lot of changes from the outside, but it was obvious from

In Europe the school system and mothers work very hard to soak young boys in feminine values like accepting responsibility for household chores, being caring, understanding and attentive, and bend to

I would slightly differ in that view.  BSA National and pretty much every interview CSE has had emphasized and at times over emphasized family.  He talks about families doing things together, that fam

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

This was your training in California, right?   I'm midwestern and I don't want to pick on your state too much, but California sometimes gets a reputation for being a little ... special.

Your training in Wisconsin has a bit of a reputation in my neck of the woods. See how that works? ;)

For the record, if you trimmed off the coastline of CA and let it fall into the ocean all that "specialness" in CA would magically go away.

• Upvote 2
34 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

page 22 of the Guide to Safe Scouting has this to say about family camping. And since 'OUTING is three-fourths of ScOUTING," I think this will apply to 'Family Scouting"

Family Camping
Family camping is an outdoor experience, other than resident camping,
that involves Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing program elements in
overnight settings with two or more family members, including at least one
BSA member of that family. Parents are responsible for the supervision of their
children, and Youth Protection policies apply. (emphasis added)

I just did a quick search and came up with these examples. Then I got depressed and quit. The first one may be the worst.

Cascade Pacific Council
Girls' Camp at Butte Creek and Camp Clark
Many, many parents of Scouts attending our resident camps have said "it'd be wonderful if I could bring my daughter, too. She'd love it!" Now you can! Bring girls age 8-13 and their girl-friends to Butte Creek or Camp Clark for the same great program as the regular Scout camp.

Long Beach Area Council
Family Camp at Camp Tahquitz
 A camping opportunity tailored for your family.
DATES: May 25-28, 2018
Parents, we invite you to bring your scouts, significant other, siblings, family members, and friends to camp at our very own Camp Tahquitz in the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains.

Spirit of Adventure Council
Family Camp
Camp Norse, Kingston MA
 Family Camp us open to:
ALL (Boy Scout and Cub Scouts, Venturers too) registered Scouts and their families
Parents, siblings, and unit leaders are encouraged to join in the FUN!

• Confused 1
14 minutes ago, cyphertext said:

The infographic is interesting that it shows the coed Pack as the "Family" choice, because both male and female siblings can join the same pack.. thus "Family Scouting".  At the time, the pitch was separate but equal at the troop level, but I expect this will change and soon we will see the age 11-17 line mirror the 6-10 line, for the many reasons we have discussed here.

And yet I have seen documents speaking of "Family Scouting dens" by which they mean girl dens.  That doesn't make any sense to me.  It is yet another example of the BSA throwing around the phrase "Family Scouting" to mean different things - and none of them really correct, because they are only adding girls.  "Family Scouting" would mean, at least, adding parents and girls - and they do not seem to be increasing the role of parents in the program.  They are opening membership in certain programs to girls.  That is what they should say.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Oldscout448 said:

Their technique consisted of placing the acts on top of the log taking a second log and beating the back of the axe head until the disappeared then they beat on the handle.  I told him they're going to break the handle they told me they knew but it was the only way they were allowed to use the axes.

Not to mention they might break the axe head. I have a really nice 1/2 axe that is a joy to use. It has a very hard and sharp head. The manual that came with it very clearly say don't use it as a maul. Mauls are designed for hitting the back of the head. Axes are not.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled .... whatever.

1 hour ago, EmberMike said:

Changing back to all boy means actually kicking out girls already in Cub Scouts. It would be PR suicide. Never going to happen.

Well, not really.  The change back could just as easily be, existing members can continue at their will, but we will no longer accept new female members.

14 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Well, not really.  The change back could just as easily be, existing members can continue at their will, but we will no longer accept new female members.

You’ll make hundreds of these VERY happy with this strategy.  

66D1F4F2-4974-4CAF-B3F5-DDA1934BBA56.jpeg.a935b941b4567e0c2c1391c2ccd29bf0.jpeg

The level of speculation in this thread is astonishing.  Now we are up to, what happens if the admission of girls (which has just barely started, and in only one of the two programs in which it will occur) does not work and the BSA tries to change back, what will happen then and what if someone sues?  Perhaps we should next consider if, after all of this happens, a huge asteroid collides with the Earth and destroys all life on our little planet.  What will the BSA's policy be then?  I mean, if you're going to speculate, you may as well speculate.  :)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

The level of speculation in this thread is astonishing.  Now we are up to, what happens if the admission of girls (which has just barely started, and in only one of the two programs in which it will occur) does not work and the BSA tries to change back, what will happen then and what if someone sues?  Perhaps we should next consider if, after all of this happens, a huge asteroid collides with the Earth and destroys all life on our little planet.  What will the BSA's policy be then?  I mean, if you're going to speculate, you may as well speculate.  :)

Aliens, man. What if... aliens? 

;)

28 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

Aliens, man. What if... aliens? 

;)

Alien families have clearly spoken and they are the future of Scouting. 87 percent of alien families would join Scouting if given the chance (in separate Dens, of course).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1