Jump to content
RememberSchiff

Philmont offers Family Scouting this summer, Bechtel next

Recommended Posts

...this year one of the organization’s four “high adventure bases” — Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico — will begin hosting family scouting for families with girls or boys. Similar family programs are under development at the Summit Bechtel Family Reserve in West Virginia, says Al Lambert, an assistant chief scout executive for BSA, who leads outdoor programming efforts.

“It’s an exciting time for us . and our efforts in supporting girls and families, as well as boys,” says Lambert.

“We’re adapting to changing times.” Lambert says many young families want to experience camping and have their kids learn outdoor skills, but would like to do so as a family, with a few more creature comforts than Boy Scouts are traditionally used to.

In some parts of the country, Boy Scouts of America-run programs open to both genders include those involving local schools or community organizations.

The Spirit of Adventure Council (Boston, MA) has done this. Camp Sayre was rebuilt/rebranded into the New England Base Camp. It is open to public.  -RS

“Around 50,000 boys and girls have visited our camps through school groups, and 85 percent are not registered with the Scouts,” says John Andrews, scout executive of the Northern Star Council of Minnesota. “It’s a great way of showing the community what we do.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/more-boy-scout-camps-will-be-open-to-girls-this-summer/2018/02/06/d7f52cfe-0b49-11e8-998c-96deb18cca19_story.html?utm_term=.736a5651a66f

Edited by RememberSchiff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is cool, and perhaps not that different from what Philmont was already doing.  As I understand it,  if a leader was going for training programs, they have programs in place for family members of leaders including girls.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been touted for years as one of the great things about Philmont is as a family destination while one gets ones training. The spouses of the one's I know who went spoke highly of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While this is a very cool experience, there are still dangers at base camp. I've seen rattlers and bear in camp, and bear protocol in base camp is required as a result. I think it was 2016 they had to put down 3-4 bear that year, one of which was a repeat offender (I think it was the old 3-legged bear) that kept coming in to base camp looking for freebies.

I would hope that the families get the same training (and adhere to the rules) that the visiting crews do. Otherwise I think I just heard BSA's insurance rates going up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

While this is a very cool experience, there are still dangers at base camp. I've seen rattlers and bear in camp, and bear protocol in base camp is required as a result. I think it was 2016 they had to put down 3-4 bear that year, one of which was a repeat offender (I think it was the old 3-legged bear) that kept coming in to base camp looking for freebies.

I would hope that the families get the same training (and adhere to the rules) that the visiting crews do. Otherwise I think I just heard BSA's insurance rates going up.

(and adhere to the rules) <<<<<<< This part.

I would be surprised if Phimont is not teaching them, but for those who have never spent time in the back country it is questionable if it will take root. Not to mention, what they forget about and leave in their vehicles.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

(and adhere to the rules) <<<<<<< This part.

I would be surprised if Phimont is not teaching them, but for those who have never spent time in the back country it is questionable if it will take root. Not to mention, what they forget about and leave in their vehicles.

I highly doubt they are teaching non-trek participants about smellables and in-camp safety. They didn't when I have been at PTC. Kids were chasing deer, plugging up mini bear holes with garbage, destroying ant mounds and generally running around untethered.

For my money if they are going to double down on the whole family retreat approach, I'd rather they build a seperate place across the road for families. Crews go to Philmont because it is the pinnacle of their high adventure dreams. The last thing they want is to see a bunch of families around the dining hall or cantine.

Anyone who has been to Philmont knows the peace and solitude you can experience even with all those crews rustling about. There's a respect that is (usually) shown that allows you to really enjoy and engage with nature. Unless they are going to 1) train the families on a code of conduct, and 2) enforce it strictly, they are creating a catalyst that may turn Philmont in to The Summit in the blink of an eye.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 11:48 AM, Col. Flagg said:

they are creating a catalyst that may turn Philmont in to The Summit in the blink of an eye.

 

And Summit has been so wildly successful...let's just emulate that

Image result for rolling eyes

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The family program at Philmont has been around for a while. And from what I hear it’s been pretty successful and well received.

Scouters get to go get some good training and the spouses and children get to have an adventure. 

<sarcasm> Sounds horrible and just plain wrong </sarcasm>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×