Philmont offers Family Scouting this summer, Bechtel next

...this year one of the organization’s four “high adventure bases” — Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico — will begin hosting family scouting for families with girls or boys. Similar family programs are under development at the Summit Bechtel Family Reserve in West Virginia, says Al Lambert, an assistant chief scout executive for BSA, who leads outdoor programming efforts.

“It’s an exciting time for us . and our efforts in supporting girls and families, as well as boys,” says Lambert.

“We’re adapting to changing times.” Lambert says many young families want to experience camping and have their kids learn outdoor skills, but would like to do so as a family, with a few more creature comforts than Boy Scouts are traditionally used to.

In some parts of the country, Boy Scouts of America-run programs open to both genders include those involving local schools or community organizations.

The Spirit of Adventure Council (Boston, MA) has done this. Camp Sayre was rebuilt/rebranded into the New England Base Camp. It is open to public.  -RS

“Around 50,000 boys and girls have visited our camps through school groups, and 85 percent are not registered with the Scouts,” says John Andrews, scout executive of the Northern Star Council of Minnesota. “It’s a great way of showing the community what we do.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/more-boy-scout-camps-will-be-open-to-girls-this-summer/2018/02/06/d7f52cfe-0b49-11e8-998c-96deb18cca19_story.html?utm_term=.736a5651a66f

Edited by RememberSchiff

While this is a very cool experience, there are still dangers at base camp. I've seen rattlers and bear in camp, and bear protocol in base camp is required as a result. I think it was 2016 they had to put down 3-4 bear that year, one of which was a repeat offender (I think it was the old 3-legged bear) that kept coming in to base camp looking for freebies.

I would hope that the families get the same training (and adhere to the rules) that the visiting crews do. Otherwise I think I just heard BSA's insurance rates going up.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

While this is a very cool experience, there are still dangers at base camp. I've seen rattlers and bear in camp, and bear protocol in base camp is required as a result. I think it was 2016 they had to put down 3-4 bear that year, one of which was a repeat offender (I think it was the old 3-legged bear) that kept coming in to base camp looking for freebies.

I would hope that the families get the same training (and adhere to the rules) that the visiting crews do. Otherwise I think I just heard BSA's insurance rates going up.

(and adhere to the rules) <<<<<<< This part.

I would be surprised if Phimont is not teaching them, but for those who have never spent time in the back country it is questionable if it will take root. Not to mention, what they forget about and leave in their vehicles.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

(and adhere to the rules) <<<<<<< This part.

I would be surprised if Phimont is not teaching them, but for those who have never spent time in the back country it is questionable if it will take root. Not to mention, what they forget about and leave in their vehicles.

I highly doubt they are teaching non-trek participants about smellables and in-camp safety. They didn't when I have been at PTC. Kids were chasing deer, plugging up mini bear holes with garbage, destroying ant mounds and generally running around untethered.

For my money if they are going to double down on the whole family retreat approach, I'd rather they build a seperate place across the road for families. Crews go to Philmont because it is the pinnacle of their high adventure dreams. The last thing they want is to see a bunch of families around the dining hall or cantine.

Anyone who has been to Philmont knows the peace and solitude you can experience even with all those crews rustling about. There's a respect that is (usually) shown that allows you to really enjoy and engage with nature. Unless they are going to 1) train the families on a code of conduct, and 2) enforce it strictly, they are creating a catalyst that may turn Philmont in to The Summit in the blink of an eye.

• Upvote 1
On 2/8/2018 at 11:48 AM, Col. Flagg said:

they are creating a catalyst that may turn Philmont in to The Summit in the blink of an eye.

And Summit has been so wildly successful...let's just emulate that

Image result for rolling eyes

• Haha 1

The family program at Philmont has been around for a while. And from what I hear it’s been pretty successful and well received.

Scouters get to go get some good training and the spouses and children get to have an adventure. 

<sarcasm> Sounds horrible and just plain wrong </sarcasm>

• 3 weeks later...

We toured Villa Philmonte after our 2017 trek. That had us walking pretty close to the PTC. We also drove through the PTC before we hit the road headed home. In both cases we saw a lot more little kids/families roaming the PTC than expected. Looks like a great setup to me.