Back Pack

James E. West Fellowship

LeCastor

This thread on the James E. West Fellowship was taking away from the OP about displaying awards earned in other countries' Scouting programs, so I chose to move this to Council Relations.  The James E. West Fellowship is an endowment given to a council, not advancement and therefore not equivalent to an Eagle Scout Award.

Message added by LeCastor

I don't have the James E. West Fellowship Award, and wouldn't wear it if i did. I already do not wear every knot I have.

I know a number of West Fellows, the vast majority do not wear them. But I certainly do not begrudge anyone who does wear it.

Many of the knots/awards are not "earned." They are recognition for contribution, including the DESA, MOESA, DSA, Meany, Young, DAM, Silver Beaver, Antelope and Beaver.

Others are "earned" by doing the job you should be doing, like Den Leaders Award, Unit Leaders Award of Merit, Training Award and Scouters Key. The Boyce Award is often given to the person that did the least amount of work starting a new unit.

Knots are awards are given for various reasons. Financial contributions help keep Scouting afloat, they always have. We wouldn't have Philmont, Seabase, Northern Tier and most of our Summer camps if not for donations and grants. To think those who have helped create and maintain Scouting from a financial standpoint are somehow less important to the program than those of us who work the program is counter productive and frankly not very Scout-like IMHO.

There is way too much US and THEM in these conversations. Scouters, professionals and financial contributors all have a significant role in Scouting. I think it is appropriate to thank and recognize them, and frankly a tiny piece of cloth is not a big deal in light of their contribution.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Oh baloney.  We are going to our library's wine tasting party next month and sponsoring a table.  (It's not very expensive to do so.)   A local liquor store and their vendors donate all the wine and spirits, and local restaurants donate all the food, and it's a wonderful event, and the names of the donors are on the tables.  It's a great way to do fundraising.  Some charitable giving is quiet, other giving is not quiet.  Neither is wrong.

First, no one is saying it is wrong. What I am saying is that true philanthropic giving does not come with the expectation of receiving anything in return.

Second, and several have pointed this out already, knots are for achievements. When you allow someone to buy a knot you really do water down what they are supposed to mean. Imagine a Scout being allowed to buy an Eagle palm or World Conservation Award through a charitable donation. If BSA wants to recognize folks for giving, then why not a pin or plaque or patch that is distinguishable from those earned through achievement? Their very own West program provides for this. Give a patch that says "1910 Society" or something which is worn in the temporary patch location; not a knot.

Lastly, let's not obfuscate the issue by comparing donations from commercial venues to charitable events. This is done by these businesses to promote their business in hopes of increasing profits while at the same time giving them a tax write off. This is the OPPOSITE of philanthropic giving. So if you truly want "baloney", that's where you'll find it.

1 hour ago, oldisnewagain1 said:

With apologies to Will Rogers...

BSA has the best knot money can buy.

For  $25,000 you can get a Lapel Pin!  Cha-ching!

The Second Century Society
https://www.bsafoundation.org/donor-information/secondcentury/

And for $100,000+  to $1 million gifts, there are other goodies -- Rockwell prints, crystal, etc.  

And probably a lifetime of letters and emails asking for more donations. ;)  

21 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

There is way too much US and THEM in these conversations. Scouters, professionals and financial contributors all have a significant role in Scouting. I think it is appropriate to thank and recognize them, and frankly a tiny piece of cloth is not a big deal in light of their contribution.

Yes, I agree with you about the "too much US and THEM" on this forum.  Very often when reading everyone's definitive answers I can't help but think of The Dude's quote from The Big Lebowski"Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

• Upvote 3