James E. West Fellowship

Message added by LeCastor

This thread on the James E. West Fellowship was taking away from the OP about displaying awards earned in other countries' Scouting programs, so I chose to move this to Council Relations.  The James E. West Fellowship is an endowment given to a council, not advancement and therefore not equivalent to an Eagle Scout Award.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two shirts in my closet with West knots. One for me and one for my wife. Are you all seriously going to troll a family that gives to Scouting?  We decided to do it while we were in our 30's s

Oh baloney.  We are going to our library's wine tasting party next month and sponsoring a table.  (It's not very expensive to do so.)   A local liquor store and their vendors donate all the wine and s

Yes, I agree with you about the "too much US and THEM" on this forum.  Very often when reading everyone's definitive answers I can't help but think of The Dude's quote from The Big Lebowski: "Well, th

55 minutes ago, Back Pack said:

There’s a knot for giving money? What message does that send to scouts. 

The message of a charitable giving knot IMHO: A scout is thrifty. He manages his finances for that rainy day ... and so that he can return some of his earnings to the people who he sees doing good in the world.

But, this knot may also be given to the person who inspired a donor to act.  From http://councils.scouting.org/Council440/Donate/James West Award

Who can become a James E. West Fellow?

Organizations or individuals may contribute an award in honor of someone -- an Eagle Scout, a Silver Beaver recipient, Council, District or unit Scouter, or in memory of a departed loved one. There can be no finer honor paid to a Scouter than to be named a James E. West Fellow, indicating that the nominee is in the same spirit and dedication to Scouting as was James E. West. Those who are recognized by the James E. West Fellowship Award will cast their own "lengthened shadow" as they help ensure the Scouting legacy by helping create the financial stability needed to carry Scouting in the next century.

So when you see someone with that knot, ask more about their story. Find out who made the donation in order for them to wear it and why.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, qwazse said:

So when you see someone with that knot, ask more about their story. Find out who made the donation in order for them to wear it and why.

I have a James E West knot and I have no idea who donated the money for it. I put it on my uniform as a way to say thank you to the donor. So please don't assume it's someone that wants to buy recognition.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

One should ask the question why good Scouters would seek recognition for charitable giving. 

Scouts only get service hours for their charitable work. Many volunteer Scouters and parents give generously of their time and money regularly and get nothing but a thank you in return.

I would really like to see less adult recognition in the form of knots, trophies and such UNLESS it is for something very significant (e.g., retiring unit leader, cherished volunteer, etc.). This "do this and get that" culture BSA has for adults only reinforces that same notion with the youth. Talk about (purchased) participation trophies.:rolleyes:

(Note: @MattR, this is nothing against your gesture. It is more against BSA even having this in the first place.)

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

One should ask the question why good Scouters would seek recognition for charitable giving. 

I agree with everything you said, except the charitable giving part. Buying bling isn't the same as charitable giving.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, David CO said:

I agree with everything you said, except the charitable giving part. Buying bling isn't the same as charitable giving.

I agree. To me charitable giving of any kind should come without (tangible) recognition. Maybe that's just me.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

I agree. To me charitable giving of any kind should come without (tangible) recognition. Maybe that's just me.

Oh baloney.  We are going to our library's wine tasting party next month and sponsoring a table.  (It's not very expensive to do so.)   A local liquor store and their vendors donate all the wine and spirits, and local restaurants donate all the food, and it's a wonderful event, and the names of the donors are on the tables.  It's a great way to do fundraising.  Some charitable giving is quiet, other giving is not quiet.  Neither is wrong.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
14 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Oh baloney.  We are going to our library's wine tasting party next month and sponsoring a table.  (It's not very expensive to do so.)   A local liquor store and their vendors donate all the wine and spirits, and local restaurants donate all the food, and it's a wonderful event, and the names of the donors are on the tables.  It's a great way to do fundraising.  Some charitable giving is quiet, other giving is not quiet.  Neither is wrong.

What you describe is a charity fundraiser. What describes is a charitable gift. Those are two distinctly different things. Giving to pbs and getting a towel is not the same as just sending them $100 without getting anything.