Cub Scout Behavior Memo

Hey Scouters,

I drafted the following today -- posting for any comments or suggestions.

Background: We have a few vivacious kids and adults in our organization!  LOL!

Pack XXX -- Being a Loyal Scout

Dear Scouts and Scout Families,

The Boy Scouts of America says,  “Young Scouts tend to be noisy, active and full of energy.”  How true it is!  While we honor the boys’ energy and enthusiasm, it’s vitally important that we help them practice good behavior and develop the strong character attributes of Scouting.

The Scout Law

A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent

The Scout Oath

On my honor, I will do my best do do my duty to God and my country, and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

The Cub Scout Motto

DO YOUR BEST!

For Scouts:

• Be Kind -- show respect to everyone

• Be Safe -- listen to instructions and think before taking action

• Be a Good Citizen -- work together to make, learn and follow your Den’s rules

• Do Good Turns -- think about how your actions might  help or hurt others

• Be a Good Role Model -- show your kindness and good manners in the community

• Have fun!

For Families:  

• Be on time to Den and Pack meetings and events.

• Remind kids of behavior expectations before you arrive at activities.

• Communicate with your child’s Den leader -- let them know if you will be absent or late.

• Don’t bring food and beverages into meetings unless it’s for the whole group.

• Avoid chatting with other grown ups when the kids are learning.

• Support your Den leader with extra supervision, set up,  clean up, etc.

• Encourage all the kids in your child’s den to do their best.  Give gentle reminders.

• Praise the kids when they demonstrate great behavior!

• Teach your child about the Scout Law and helping other people.

• Have fun!

Thank you for all you do for Scouting!   

The Pack XXX Committee

This looks good to me.  We also have energetic Scouts and a few tips that helped us:

Parents discouraged from attending den meetings after Tiger.  After Tiger they are just in the way and can distract the scouts.

Having keep busy activities available for the time before Pack meeting starts.  In some cases bins of legos, others Holiday card making, etc.  Something to keep them occupied.

Den Meeting whistle.   Some may frown but Iit works.  I had a den leader forget his whistle one day and it looked as if he had PTSD after the meeting.  

• Like 1

convicted or conflicted? ;)  LOL. This one and the bringing in food were my two biggest pet peeves as a DL.  Kid coming in with a slurpee and seriously, slurping during a presentation -- doh!   For talking parents should be social but they have to keep their voices down or go in the hall so the kids can hear the meeting without distraction.  

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Looks real good. I'd maybe make the families section a little more concise. I feel convicted about the chatting.:o

Agreed. I would put something like “You should listen in to your child’s den leader, you might learn something new too!”

Edited by ItsBrian
50 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Don’t bring food and beverages into meetings unless it’s for the whole group.

You might consider revisiting or clarifying this. I know many parents that travel with their coffee mug glued to their palm. My son's den/pack would often meet in a cafeteria at their local school and us parents would gather at a table in the far corner. It was common for many of us to have a drink in hand.

4 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I hated the whole food thing when I was DL. Eventually the parents demanded a 'snack time' and I relented as long as I had no part of it.

I always had a ‘snack time’ :( ! It was one of the funniest times where we were able to just fool around and have fun at the end.

I view snack time as a tool to keep the kids busy and chewing so they can listen to some boring content from the handbook.   Sometimes you have to give a  short talk, and it's easier for them to listen when they are stuffing their faces.   We did  not always do snack, but when we did snacks, I tried to use the time strategically. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Hawkwin said:

Understood, but you didn't put that section under scouts, you put it under families. Might want to clarify who and what you mean.

I think I should edit out my two personal peeves -- the food and adults talking.   It's cleaner and less about my preferences.  The den leaders can manage these things.

• Upvote 1

Huh. I have never had a designated "snack time," and I haven't had a single comment made about it in the 2+ years I've been the Webelos Den Leader. 

Sure, every now and then I may have extra cookies that I share with them, or extra holiday candy or whatever, but it's never a regular thing, and if anything it makes the boys more eager to work for them whenever treats do somehow materialize. But nobody has ever asked about it, and I don't think it's something I would ever really consider, at least not for boy the age I'm working with. Besides we're usually up and doing so much that there just wouldn't be a convenient moment for them to stop and munch on snacks during meetings.  :laugh:

9 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

I think I should edit out my two personal peeves -- the food and adults talking.   It's cleaner and less about my preferences.  The den leaders can manage these things.

Delegate, yes!

No snacks at my den meetings, we are having too much fun. Send them home hungry for dinner!

Adults yakking ... I don't want to hijack topic. :mad: