Jump to content
RememberSchiff

Girl Scout sold cookies outside Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

I didn't see any seedy characters outside that building in the picture.  All I see is a girl selling cookies.  The police are probably watching that place like hawks.  It's probably the safest place in town.

In response to your previous post about Scouts doing things "against federal law":  Nothing she is doing violates any law, state or federal.  She is selling cookies, presumably not the kind of cookies they may sell inside.  At most she might have been violating some rule of the GSUSA, but the story seems to indicate that she wasn't even doing that.

So popcorn sales outside a liquor store, smoke shop, or adult book/movie store would be good in your book?

Legal commercial activity? Yes.

Fitting with the program? No.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Well I guess we are judging her -or more likely the parents-actions on the basis of what we might expect of Boy Scouts. It is Girl Scouting so maybe that is OK-though they has conniptions about Trans-fats but I guess Pot is OK. I guess the real reason she is getting applause is that the main things we appreciate in our culture now are only things that can be quantified or monetized so as long as she sells more that is a win! I mean the goal is sales right?

(This thread may merge with the James West Knot one!) 

Only if the knot is made from hemp.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, if the Girl Scouts disapprove of the sales location, then the profits of having sold 312 cookie boxes there should be donated to a drug treatment program, etc.

My $0.02

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMO, if the Girl Scouts disapprove of the sales location, then the profits of having sold 312 cookie boxes there should be donated to a drug treatment program, etc.

My $0.02

 

 

Given their take on cookie sales that is probably about $12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

Giving away clean needles, condoms or breathalyzers aren't breaking any laws either. HOWEVER, they are within arms length of people violating state and/or federal law. So assuming your litmus test is that they're not doing anything illegal, then the options I put forward would be equally as ethical and ok for Scouts to do. ;)

I'm not talking about any of those things.  I am talking about cookies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of things one might question beyond the product the business sells:

- The young lady is being used, in uniform, in a business advertisement

- In said advertisement she's wearing the business's ball cap

- Said business, at least according to one of the articles, uses the Girl Scout name to sell their product (https://buenos.urbnleaf.com/?product=platinum-cookies)

- Shop owners said she was just "passing by" and they posted to support the cause, but, the post included the name of their business and her in the cap.  Disingenuous at best....  Also said to have posted a picture of boxes of cookies along side their own products implying a relationship.

I guess GSUSA has to decide if they are good with all that.  It does go in some interesting directions though.  

So as to NJCubScouter's question, it seems to be the equivalent of say my local convenience store taking a picture of Cub Scouts, wearing the store's logo hats, showing popcorn arrayed along with the alcohol and cigar display, to use on their social media advertising campaign.  Just trying to help out a cause.  "Stop for some popcorn and pick up your game day needs!"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

I'm not talking about any of those things.  I am talking about cookies.

Right. Cookies, being sold in a questionable location. 

You can simplify it and say "it's about cookies", but it is about more than that. It is about integrity and safety. I am sure you wouldn't advocate she sell cookies in any other area that might have questionable activities going on, so it really isn't just about cookies now, is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

You can simplify it and say "it's about cookies", but it is about more than that. It is about integrity and safety. I am sure you wouldn't advocate she sell cookies in any other area that might have questionable activities going on, so it really isn't just about cookies now, is it?

Point of clarification. While it might be an issue of integrity to some/many, it should not be considered an issue of either safety or questionable activities inside the business. While the feds can't seem to make up their mind on this topic, the state has deemed it legal and is heavily regulating it. There is no reason to assume that the customers that visit that store are any more dangerous or have a desire to be any more questionable than the person that goes to the local grocery store (where they are likely selling GS cookies) to buy a bottle whiskey.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

Right. Cookies, being sold in a questionable location. 

You can simplify it and say "it's about cookies", but it is about more than that. It is about integrity and safety. I am sure you wouldn't advocate she sell cookies in any other area that might have questionable activities going on, so it really isn't just about cookies now, is it?

Generally I wouldn't advocate for or against anyone doing anything anywhere unless it (1) affects me or my family or my troop or my community, or (2) is against the law, which this is not, or (3) violates a rule of an organization that I have some connection to, which I don't in this case.  I am not this girl's father, nor her troop leader.  Those who are can keep her safe, they don't need my help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on the news somewhere the council said they would let the early cookie selling date slide for this one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, my!  I just saw a Girl Scout selling cookies outside a DRUG store!  They have federally controlled substances in there!  Just like medical marijuana.  What's the world coming to???

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pselb said:

Oh, my!  I just saw a Girl Scout selling cookies outside a DRUG store!  They have federally controlled substances in there!  Just like medical marijuana.  What's the world coming to???

It’s not illegal under federal law to sell federally controlled substances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But isn't the issue focused on a moral issue?  The comment was a poke at the word "drug".  We have comments concerning: marijuana stores, tobacco stores,  liquor stores, sexual content establishments, etc. indicating some sort of moral outrage at the term medical marijuana,  Yet Girl Scouts sell outside the local convenience store where they are selling tobacco and liquor by some pretty fine looking clerks, and we don't bat an eye.  If one is going to play the game, they need to be consistent with the rules. "Yes, but..." marijuana is illegal!!!"  And as a history teacher I know that at one point so was alcohol.  I also know how well that worked out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread reflect the us versus them theme from another thread where we have mods and non mods involved. It is about perception and morality. I don’t have kids but I wouldn’t want them selling cookies outside of any of these places. Why are they there in the first place but to take advantage of people with munchies. That’s just wrong. They shouldn’t be outside of liquor stores either. 

Edited by Back Pack
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Back Pack said:

This thread reflect the us versus them theme from another thread where we have mods and non mods involved. It is about perception and morality. I don’t have kids but I wouldn’t want them selling cookies outside of any of these places. Why are they there in the first place but to take advantage of people with munchies. That’s just wrong. They shouldn’t be outside of liquor stores either. 

Agreed, I wouldn’t want to have my child learn that selling outside a weed store makes good money.

It’s not a good influence in my opinion.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×