Girl Scout sold cookies outside Medical Marijuana Dispensary

16 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

This seems more appropriate:

Consider these Girl Scout cookie and beer pairings

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/02/06/girl-scout-cookie-beer-pairings/311103002/

Yeah, we have you already beat at this game. Cookies -n- adult malt beverages and doughnuts -n- adult malt beverages.

Coincides with unofficial "folks who like adult malt beverages and just happen to be assistant scoutmaster night"

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, my!  I just saw a Girl Scout selling cookies outside a DRUG store!  They have federally controlled substances in there!  Just like medical marijuana.  What's the world coming to???

So popcorn sales outside a liquor store, smoke shop, or adult book/movie store would be good in your book? Legal commercial activity? Yes. Fitting with the program? No.

Only if the knot is made from hemp.

18 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Can anybody explain to me what is actually wrong with what this girl did?

I was actually serious with this question.

I do not see the values issue here, especially in comparison with other things I have seen that are apparently ok.  This is a legal product being sold in a legal establishment, and the girl is standing outside.  My local convenience store sells cigarettes, a dangerous product that cannot be sold to children - in fact, so dangerous that now in NJ it cannot be sold to some adults - and yet during "selling season" there are always Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts right outside the door, selling cookies or popcorn. Is that ok?

On 2/6/2018 at 1:16 PM, Hawkwin said:

Uh oh, she is really going to get it for this:

Started selling before the official start of the sale. What does BSA do when they catch someone selling popcorn before the official start date?

Sign them up as District Popcorn Kernel?

Edited by T2Eagle
3 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I don't see any U.S. Marshals there padlocking the door and confiscating what's inside.

No, but you have seen Sessions act on this issue rescinding the Obama era attempt to legitimize it. Fact is, it is still illegal under Federal law. Good primer on it here.

So what other things against Federal law should Girl and Boy Scouts be allowed to do?

2 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

No, but you have seen Sessions act on this issue rescinding the Obama era attempt to legitimize it. Fact is, it is still illegal under Federal law. Good primer on it here.

I understand that, and yet, there they are.

2 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

So what other things against Federal law should Girl and Boy Scouts be allowed to do?

I don't know.  Maybe they could violate the Emoluments Clause, that doesn't seem to be enforced either.  :)

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, NJCubScouter said:

I understand that, and yet, there they are.

I don't know.  Maybe they could violate the Emoluments Clause, that doesn't seem to be enforced either.  :)

So just because the Federal and state law enforcement groups are at loggerheads, doesn't mean that an organization that prides itself on character should be making money off of the controversy. In fact, they should be staying as far away from this type of controversy as possible.

What's next? Handing out clean needles to addict as a service project? Condoms outside of seedy hotel? Breathalizer tests outside bars? 

Common sense would tell most rational parents that being around such places is not something to expose young children to.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

So just because the Federal and state law enforcement groups are at loggerheads, doesn't mean that an organization that prides itself on character should be making money off of the controversy. In fact, they should be staying as far away from this type of controversy as possible.

What's next? Handing out clean needles to addict as a service project? Condoms outside of seedy hotel? Breathalizer tests outside bars? 

Common sense would tell most rational parents that being around such places is not something to expose young children to.

I didn't see any seedy characters outside that building in the picture.  All I see is a girl selling cookies.  The police are probably watching that place like hawks.  It's probably the safest place in town.

In response to your previous post about Scouts doing things "against federal law":  Nothing she is doing violates any law, state or federal.  She is selling cookies, presumably not the kind of cookies they may sell inside.  At most she might have been violating some rule of the GSUSA, but the story seems to indicate that she wasn't even doing that.

Well I guess we are judging her -or more likely the parents-actions on the basis of what we might expect of Boy Scouts. It is Girl Scouting so maybe that is OK-though they has conniptions about Trans-fats but I guess Pot is OK. I guess the real reason she is getting applause is that the main things we appreciate in our culture now are only things that can be quantified or monetized so as long as she sells more that is a win! I mean the goal is sales right?

(This thread may merge with the James West Knot one!) 

17 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

In response to your previous post about Scouts doing things "against federal law":  Nothing she is doing violates any law, state or federal.  She is selling cookies, presumably not the kind of cookies they may sell inside.  At most she might have been violating some rule of the GSUSA, but the story seems to indicate that she wasn't even doing that.

Giving away clean needles, condoms or breathalyzers aren't breaking any laws either. HOWEVER, they are within arms length of people violating state and/or federal law. So assuming your litmus test is that they're not doing anything illegal, then the options I put forward would be equally as ethical and ok for Scouts to do. ;)

The issue is about exposing kids to potential illegal activity, or benefiting from said activity.

9 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

Giving away clean needles, condoms or breathalyzers aren't breaking any laws either. HOWEVER, they are within arms length of people violating state and/or federal law. So assuming your litmus test is that they're not doing anything illegal, then the options I put forward would be equally as ethical and ok for Scouts to do. ;)

The issue is about exposing kids to potential illegal activity, or benefiting from said activity.

If people leaving an adult book store bought a lot of cookies would it still be appropriate for a Girl Scout to be there? I believe the zoning separations from schools, etc are probably similar. I would argue it goes beyond 'what is legal' to 'what is appropriate'. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

If people leaving an adult book store bought a lot of cookies would it still be appropriate for a Girl Scout to be there? I believe the zoning separations from schools, etc are probably similar. I would argue it goes beyond 'what is legal' to 'what is appropriate'. 

Yes, you said it quite well. I guess I thought that was evident in my post but you spell it out more succinctly.

• Upvote 1