Sunday Morning segment on the BSA

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course, it was staged.  It is a national TV program.  Take the positive vibe and work with it, rather than look for reasons to lessen its possible impact and forward moving hope.  Each unit, as the

I think I have said this before, but I wish that the BSA, as its first decision after letting girls into Cub Scouts, had NOT issued a new article of clothing for the girl-Cubs that emphasizes differen

Let's all please call people by their correct names, and not make up nicknames.  The CSE's name is Michael Surbaugh, or if one prefers, just Surbaugh, or if you want to just use his title, he's the CS

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

Agreed. There should been a freeze on any girl uniform items for at least a couple of years. They don't need them, at the cub level the clothing is universal enough to fit a boy or a girl. If they wanted to roll out girl-specific products later, fine. But at the launch of the program, it just sends the wrong message. The opposite message of what we've been trying to express, really, that girls want the boy program as-is, and we're giving them that same program and experience. Except we're not, if you're a girl, you should wear this impractical gender-specific uniform item. :rolleyes:

If you turn out anything like the UK the girls stuff will quietly disappear.

Theoretically there is a uniform skirt. If memory serves I have seen precisely one adult wear it and not one single youth member. The girls just go for the trousers, same as the boys.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

If you turn out anything like the UK the girls stuff will quietly disappear.

Theoretically there is a uniform skirt. If memory serves I have seen precisely one adult wear it and not one single youth member. The girls just go for the trousers, same as the boys.

Was it a Scottish person??

Related image

I know I know...not a skirt

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

Agreed. There should been a freeze on any girl uniform items for at least a couple of years. They don't need them, at the cub level the clothing is universal enough to fit a boy or a girl. If they wanted to roll out girl-specific products later, fine. But at the launch of the program, it just sends the wrong message. The opposite message of what we've been trying to express, really, that girls want the boy program as-is, and we're giving them that same program and experience. Except we're not, if you're a girl, you should wear this impractical gender-specific uniform item. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, it seems that they just saw it as an opportunity to sell more stuff.

If it is all about the money they may be onto a looser. Did a bit of googling and looks like this side of the pond the official uniform skirt is no longer even made it was so unpopular. It's now a case of any navy blue skirt is permitted as uniform if girls don't want to go with the trousers. If they'd been making money out of it they sure as hell wouldn't have stopped making it!

Although I should add a lot of groups here don't even enforce uniform trousers. My troop it's optional. We recommend them as they are quite practical but not many scouts actually have them.

Edited by Cambridgeskip

I worked in national supply when skirts and skorts were available for female Scouters and professionals. Saw skirts and skorts worn only by my manager and assistant manager. Event then, it was once or twice in the 4 years I worked for them . They were never popular, and I imagine the capris will not be popular either.

One unit planning on accepting girls when the time comes has stated the skirts, skorts, and capris will nto be allowed.

1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Do we have the data for past 1999?

Yes, and it represents a 3% year on year decline through 2013. After that the decline doubled to 6% or greater since then. I read a thread around here a while back where someone posted the data from 1999 or 2000. 

1 hour ago, EmberMike said:

Clearly the "we" BSA is supporting is not the "we" in this forum. Whether the skirts are a BSA idea or one from a focus group of early adopters is anyone's guess. But it wouldn't surprise anyone here if it were 1) about money (vis-a-vis increased uniform sales) or 2) poorly planned without consulting anyone who matters. 

I want to say I'm overthinking this, but sadly I'm probably not...

It is more than a tad bit suspicious to me that every girl in the group pictured on the original post is wearing the new skirt, and they're out doing outdoorsy stuff in front of BSA banners. Because we know how easy it is to get every kid to show up in identical uniform and we all make sure to take our regulation BSA banners with us on all outings, right? :huh:

Why do so many of these media pieces reference some girl being the first to register in their area/council/region? What is going on here? 

I wanted to be optimistic about this early enthusiasm we're seeing from girls, but I'm concerned we're getting too many media-opportunist parents as early adopters.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

It is more than a tad bit suspicious to me that every girl in the group pictured on the original post is wearing the new skirt, and they're out doing outdoorsy stuff in front of BSA banners. Because we know how easy it is to get every kid to show up in identical uniform and we all make sure to take our regulation BSA banners with us on all outings, right? :huh:

Why do so many of these media pieces reference some girl being the first to register in their area/council/region? What is going on here? 

I wanted to be optimistic about this early enthusiasm we're seeing from girls, but I'm concerned we're getting too many media-opportunist parents as early adopters.

It did seem a bit like a staged event, complete with happy squealing girls, all in the NEW (available at BSA.com) skirts and uniforms, completed with patches sewn on.   Every single one of them.  I guess they kept the wardrobe trailer out of sight.

Did notice the Male leaders (oh no!!) leading them along the trail with no female leader in plain and conspicuous view, though I am sure she was about someplace so as to be 100% compliant to the Girls Den YPT guidelines.

12 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Did notice the Male leaders (oh no!!) leading them along the trail with no female leader in plain and conspicuous view, though I am sure she was about someplace so as to be 100% compliant to the Girls Den YPT guidelines.

5af1800dbd18b30ced7a98fd63f0fe1f411091a0da880f6bf4dcdd967cce8270[1].jpg

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

There are early adopters, then there are EARLY adopters. :)

There was probably some coordination between BSA National or the local council and the tv show. It isn't like the tv show producers could easily call around to find a pack that is an early adopter. The council or Nationals obviously would want to put their best face forward so it isn't overly surprising that some uniform coordination was likely involved.

And let's be honest, if this was completely staged and choreographed, there is NO WAY they would have used that first boy to comment on what he thinks about girls in scouts. Even the second boy standing next to his sister looked demoralized.

• Upvote 2