Does Sea Base Only Have HA?

I’ve been wondering for a while now, but kept forgetting to ask.

Does Sea Base have anything beside snorkeling?

I did a quick search and all I found in their website was padding in a canoe for 5 Miles that didn’t involve snorkeling I believe. 

You need to search less quickly. There are, quite literally, boatloads of adventures: http://www.bsaseabase.org/Adventures.aspx.

That said, mask, fins, and snorkel are integral to most of the adventures ... sort of like hiking boots at Philmont. Even the out-island adventure that you mention involves snorkeling gear.

There's also fishing, and if you're lucky, seafood.

1 minute ago, qwazse said:

You need to search less quickly. There are, quite literally, boatloads of adventures: http://www.bsaseabase.org/Adventures.aspx.

That said, mask, fins, and snorkel are integral to most of the adventures ... sort of like hiking boots at Philmont. Even the out-island adventure that you mention involves snorkeling gear.

There's also fishing, and if you're lucky, seafood.

Many people in my troop are not fond of swimming, so I was just curious if they only had boating, fishing, etc.

Well, if they've never done any kind of boating on the ocean, there's no comparison. But, yes, every day of every adventure is on water. Some, like Bahama's adventure, involves island exploring, others, like scuba, bring you back to base in the evening.

You don't have to be a collegiate swimmer, but you have to be comfortable swimming a couple hundred yards ... in rather deep water ... with heavily-toothed critters scuttling below out of sight.

• Thanks 1

All of the adventures are different. We did the Bahama's trip last spring and snorkeled 4 or 5 reefs while sailing all over the Abacos Islands. Like Quazse mentioned, you don't have to be a great swimmer to go. They provided life vests, mask, snorkel and fins. We had 2 adults who didn't really swim and after the first reef, they were the first to be suited up and ready to go. 

We fished off the back of the catamaran all day and night. Most of the fishing was catch and release, but we kept the big ones. We got rid of the barracuda, he looked to mean to eat.

The Captain took us to an area where we dove for conch and brought 5 back in for dinner. Great stuff!! 

Sailing is as much of an adventure as drinking coffee while watching the sunrise over the low lying islands. 

Good times!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

Many people in my troop are not fond of swimming, so I was just curious if they only had boating, fishing, etc.

If you’re not a proficient swimmer then skip Seabase. Any of their programs require being. Good swimmer and being able to demonstrate it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1