The current moral panic is bad for males and females

16 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

On the other hand I get the concept of the 'moral panic'; I was almost run out of my church for the comment that "In a broad generality Men and Women experience the world differently". Somehow that made me a troglodyte, transgender-hating (since I brought up only 2 genders), homo-phobic (not sure how that staretd) etc, etc. Glad I didn't  bring up I was a scout leader. 

This is the reality and pain of collectivism.  Doesn't matter if it's a church, community, political party, government, corporation, or charitable organization.  Believe and repeat the narrative or face shaming.  If that doesn't work you will be banished.  Religions have worked this way forever, secular society is quickly catching up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That article ends What we owe all people, including women, is to listen to them and to respect them and to take them seriously. But we don’t owe anyone our unthinking belief. “Trust but veri

There is a lot of real anger and hysteria in America. I think trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient,... scouts and Scouters are part of the solution. My $0.02  

I can't believe what I'm reading here. From Scouters no less. We're an organization that suppressed abuse claims for decades, and now we've got people here suggesting that the current openness and dia

2 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

This is the reality and pain of collectivism.  Doesn't matter if it's a church, community, political party, government, corporation, or charitable organization.  Believe and repeat the narrative or face shaming.  If that doesn't work you will be banished.  Religions have worked this way forever, secular society is quickly catching up.

Yes my "I am so liberal I worked on Jesse Jackson's presidential campaign" bonafides is meaningless. It is harder and harder where it is "can we agree to disagree". 

12 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

An illustration of "momentum," which could be called "me too."

"The McMartin Preschool case...

I'm not sure what that case has to do with the "Me Too" movement.  The differences are too numerous to count, but obviously the most important one is the difference between statements of preschoolers (who, I thought, are presumed incapable of distinguishing fact from fiction, and therefore I am not even sure why their testimony was admitted anyway) who were basically told what to say, and the stories now being recounted by adult women.  The youngest "Me too" accusers (at the time of the alleged incidents) that I am aware of are the 14-year-old girl in the Roy Moore situation and (if we can go back to 2016) the under-age beauty contestants who say the current president came into their dressing room and ogled them while they were changing clothes.  They are capable of distinguishing fact and fiction and their testimony (not that that is going to happen in either case) would be admitted in court. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I was almost run out of my church for the comment that "In a broad generality Men and Women experience the world differently". Somehow that made me a troglodyte, transgender-hating (since I brought up only 2 genders), homo-phobic (not sure how that staretd) etc, etc. Glad I didn't  bring up I was a scout leader. 

out of your church??? 

3 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

out of your church??? 

"Made not to feel welcome" by some in the congregation. (the irony is they aren't as active helping out as I) My denomination is under extreme strain right now. I'd rather move that discussion off-line. I know I brought it up, sorry--I don't want to de-rail the thread too much. (If you care you are free to message me)

I guess my point is that it is getting harder to know where the landmines are now and when you step on one real dialogue seems to stop. And I mean face to face communication. I shudder to think about social media.

Just now, Tampa Turtle said:

"Made not to feel welcome" by some in the congregation. (the irony is they aren't as active helping out as I) My denomination is under extreme strain right now. I'd rather move that discussion off-line. I know I brought it up, sorry--I don't want to de-rail the thread too much. (If you care you are free to message me)

I guess my point is that it is getting harder to know where the landmines are now and when you step on one real dialogue seems to stop. And I mean face to face communication. I shudder to think about social media.

Social media is basically a screaming match where the loudest voices win and only the most invested in a viewpoint participate. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, Tampa Turtle said:

We can end it here, I don't mean to pry or get into things too personal.  

Jordan Petersen, Steven Pinker and Bret Weinstein  and several others have all heavily stated of late how open dialog is becoming more and more forbidden because of the ramifications and accusations of isms that we're regressing and avenues of progress are blocked off because no one can talk to each other any more.  It's not a healthy time to be alive.  

2 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Social media is basically a screaming match where the loudest voices win and only the most invested in a viewpoint participate. 

it's not just social media... TT is talking about in person, at his congregation... that's not social media, that's every day American life. 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

There was an outstanding program on NPR about this very topic a few days ago:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/637/words-you-cant-say

• Upvote 2

If you want to talk about how hard it is just ask any male on campus. We are assumed guilty in everything. People snark at you because of your race or religion. These are the same people wearing T-shirt’s or pins with all sorts of inclusive messages. They just don’t apply if you’re a male or white or catholic or Jewish or a frat member. Sad irony. 

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

An illustration of "momentum," which could be called "me too."

"The McMartin Preschool case ...

Connecting the "me too" movement to a fringe outlier case that would never even be possible today (do you know how much security and monitoring goes on in most modern daycare centers?) is stretching way beyond reason to make a point. 

1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

We can end it here, I don't mean to pry or get into things too personal.  

Jordan Petersen, Steven Pinker and Bret Weinstein  and several others have all heavily stated of late how open dialog is becoming more and more forbidden because of the ramifications and accusations of isms that we're regressing and avenues of progress are blocked off because no one can talk to each other any more.  It's not a healthy time to be alive.  

it's not just social media... TT is talking about in person, at his congregation... that's not social media, that's every day American life. 

He mentioned Social media. I didn't mention his church because he has decided not to share more about it and I'm not going to speculate as to what happened. 

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

He mentioned Social media. I didn't mention his church because he has decided not to share more about it and I'm not going to speculate as to what happened. 

ah, I see the correlation now.  Missed it the first go around.  all good!