Jump to content
FrankBoss

Am I the only one?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

You guys made me reread the whole thread...

Sorry about that, I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, David CO said:

I didn't raise the point before, but since you have yourself broached the subject of being downright nasty, I must say that I am not the one who is using pseudo-swears or scatological references in my posts.

If you are offended by something that TV sensors deemed non offense 4 decades ago, well sorry.

You calling all things District, Council and National bad/evil, is no different than people calling all teachers incompetent or all coaches and priest pedophiles. Painting with such broad stroke gets a lot of people messy that don't deserve it.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys I've read this and have had discussions with some current and ex scouters in my area. It seem what I've been observing has constantly been creeping in on the districts  since '09. Its just has turned into something that can't be hidden in the last three years. I don't know what the answer is to fix or adjust this. But I know being silent is not helping anyone.

 We need more unit's in our area and those units need support from the district and council.. But it seems there is know one checking on the operations of the councils other than than income...

FrankBoss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My recommendation is for us volunteers to get re-engaged at the district level.  If you really want to improve tbe,program in your area, this is where to do it. Get involved with district program, camping, training, or membership.  Sure, skip the finance part.

The BSA is supposed to be volunteer led, professionally guided.  I'd worry less about what the council employees are saying and just do the right thing for the units in your area.  Maybe we use this forum as a place to brainstorm how to do that?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

My recommendation is for us volunteers to get re-engaged at the district level.  If you really want to improve tbe,program in your area, this is where to do it. Get involved with district program, camping, training, or membership.  Sure, skip the finance part.

The BSA is supposed to be volunteer led, professionally guided.  I'd worry less about what the council employees are saying and just do the right thing for the units in your area.  Maybe we use this forum as a place to brainstorm how to do that?

But you can't change anything at the district or council level. Why? Old Men's and Women's Club. The WB'ers run everything and if you're not a WB'er then your ideas stink. Or you volunteer, spend hours getting your good ideas put together and supported by the unit only to have some district or council leader poo-poo the idea and literally force you to do it their way. I could go on and on and on.

So that's why many of us, myself included, have stopped doing anything for the district. They are like parasites. They will latch on to you and drain you of your energy without any benefit to you or your unit. So I choose to focus on my unit and make it as good as it can be.

I am sure there are good councils and districts out there. I am not fortunate enough to live in one of those areas. Having tried repeatedly to help "fix" things, I realize it is a futile effort and not worth my time and effort.

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

But you can't change anything at the district or council level. Why? Old Men's and Women's Club. The WB'ers run everything and if you're not a WB'er then your ideas stink. Or you volunteer, spend hours getting your good ideas put together and supported by the unit only to have some district or council leader poo-poo the idea and literally force you to do it their way. I could go on and on and on.

So that's why many of us, myself included, have stopped doing anything for the district. They are like parasites. They will latch on to you and drain you of your energy without any benefit to you or your unit. So I choose to focus on my unit and make it as good as it can be.

I am sure there are good councils and districts out there. I am not fortunate enough to live in one of those areas. Having tried repeatedly to help "fix" things, I realize it is a futile effort and not worth my time and effort.

In my current district, the Chairman is a business exec who wouldn't know Wood Badge from wood smoke.  He may attend 10% of the meetings and scarcely says a word. The effective leader is the Program Chair, who has not taken Wood Badge training.  Sorry you were bitten by a Wood Badger at some point,  :p   but you overgeneralize. 

As the SE has unilaterally decided to eliminate districts, the whole "problem" will go away soon.  

I have never seen the SE in uniform, so I don't know if he is a Wood Badger or not.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

Sorry you were bitten by a Wood Badger at some point,  :p   but you overgeneralize. 

I can only speak about the WB'ers in my area. They are so high up on their pedestal they can't see us little folks. Surely not all are like this, but in my area they are rabid, nasty and back-slappingly self-aggrandizing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

But you can't change anything at the district or council level. Why? Old Men's and Women's Club. The WB'ers run everything and if you're not a WB'er then your ideas stink. Or you volunteer, spend hours getting your good ideas put together and supported by the unit only to have some district or council leader poo-poo the idea and literally force you to do it their way. I could go on and on and on.

So that's why many of us, myself included, have stopped doing anything for the district. They are like parasites. They will latch on to you and drain you of your energy without any benefit to you or your unit. So I choose to focus on my unit and make it as good as it can be.

I am sure there are good councils and districts out there. I am not fortunate enough to live in one of those areas. Having tried repeatedly to help "fix" things, I realize it is a futile effort and not worth my time and effort.

We can use your help. What job do you want? I promise you nobody will give you grief or tell you what to do. There are not enough people to do that. We end all of our roundtables by having an after meeting at a bar. If you like beer we have a lot of brew pubs in town. It's very laid back. Do you want to help crews? Training? Help packs recruit? Name it! We can use your help. Can you make tonight? :)

I have heard of the woodbadger mentality you talk about. I have seen it and I appreciate your, um, how can I say this, disappointment with it. I took woodbadge and got a few things out of it but it certainly didn't impress me.

So there you have two extremes, the old boy clique (dead weight) and ready to turn out the lights (a vacuum). It's easier to walk into a vacuum and make things happen. My challenge is keeping it small because I'll be doing most of it. Dead weight is harder. This is an aspect of leadership that is not taught at woodbadge. You have to carve off something that nobody can butt in on. A troop or crew is exactly that and that's what you appear to be doing. There are other ways to do this. If there are other troops or crews in the same situation as you why not have a campout where all of you come together and do something fun? You don't have to call it a camporee but it essentially is. What can the council/district do? If you want to encourage scout leadership and require all PLs to do something before hand, then do it. You've now replaced the camping chair and training. And nobody can get in your way.  I know, it's not very scout like. But if half the troops/crews in your district decide to join you then you've got something.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had some OA types like you describe in my first council.  One day they looked around and discovered no one was paying attention to them any more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MattR said:

But if half the troops/crews in your district decide to join you then you've got something.

That's just it though, we have limited free time so we must choose to fix those things where we can maximize our impact. No successful troops in my district will even touch a district/council position. It is just not worth the time and effort.

I wish I lived in a different area. I would love to volunteer. But having lived here and experienced this since 2003 there is nothing that is going to change. The platitudes of "it starts with a single step" and "you must be the change you wish to see" are all well and good...and we apply that...to our UNIT.

I'd have to be insane to event attempt to try again with our district. I'd love the hours and weeks back I already gave them. But nothing will change here. I wish you luck in your area. Let me know where that is...I might retire there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Col. Flagg said:

But you can't change anything at the district or council level. Why? Old Men's and Women's Club. The WB'ers run everything and if you're not a WB'er then your ideas stink. Or you volunteer, spend hours getting your good ideas put together and supported by the unit only to have some district or council leader poo-poo the idea and literally force you to do it their way. I could go on and on and on.

So that's why many of us, myself included, have stopped doing anything for the district. They are like parasites. They will latch on to you and drain you of your energy without any benefit to you or your unit. So I choose to focus on my unit and make it as good as it can be.

I am sure there are good councils and districts out there. I am not fortunate enough to live in one of those areas. Having tried repeatedly to help "fix" things, I realize it is a futile effort and not worth my time and effort.

 

Sadly my first district was like that. No knots or beads, you were ignored. Fortunately a friend with knots and beads was on the committee, and would repeat my ideas a little later and they were brilliant. We both got a laugh about that.

 

In my neck of the woods, over the past 20 years we have declined. partially due to the "In School Scouting units." But once that mess was cleaned up, we have continued to decline. Of the traditional that were around when quit being a DE:

 all  4 of the units I started no longer exist, (2 packs and 2 troops)

4 additional packs folded

 2 troops folded

2 packs switched COs (1 prior to DALE, the other after the membership policy changed)

1 troop switched COs (troop affiliated with a pack above)

 

As for district committee, it is a joke. Last comm. meeting was 2 people: me and the DE. We don't really have anyone else. We lost a loty of support with the membership policy change. And no one is stepping up to the plate. To make matter worse, we share a DE with another district. I already tendered my resignation on the committee: may 3rd,

  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Col. Flagg said:

That's just it though, we have limited free time so we must choose to fix those things where we can maximize our impact. No successful troops in my district will even touch a district/council position. It is just not worth the time and effort.

I wish I lived in a different area. I would love to volunteer. But having lived here and experienced this since 2003 there is nothing that is going to change. The platitudes of "it starts with a single step" and "you must be the change you wish to see" are all well and good...and we apply that...to our UNIT.

I'd have to be insane to event attempt to try again with our district. I'd love the hours and weeks back I already gave them. But nothing will change here. I wish you luck in your area. Let me know where that is...I might retire there.

We went through a period of district dysfunction.  Some SPLs got together and planned multi-troop campouts with learning events and intrapatrol competition.  Soon the district events were all boy planned.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Col. Flagg said:

That's just it though, we have limited free time so we must choose to fix those things where we can maximize our impact. No successful troops in my district will even touch a district/council position. It is just not worth the time and effort.

I wish I lived in a different area. I would love to volunteer. But having lived here and experienced this since 2003 there is nothing that is going to change. The platitudes of "it starts with a single step" and "you must be the change you wish to see" are all well and good...and we apply that...to our UNIT.

I'd have to be insane to event attempt to try again with our district. I'd love the hours and weeks back I already gave them. But nothing will change here. I wish you luck in your area. Let me know where that is...I might retire there.

I'm not saying fix the district. I'm saying ignore them and work around them, much like what @TAHAWK saw. I'm not talking first step, I'm talking only step. Make the world a little better. Get a couple of SPLs together to plan their own events. If your PLC is up for helping another troop have an ASPL work with an SPL from another troop that would like to see how to do it right.

I'm in Northern Colorado. We're wondering when our council is going to get folded into the Denver Area Council (they have big donors). Our council is so broke they're thinking of having weddings at our scout camp. Imagine the bride, at the outhouse. Yeah, this is really going to happen. I have no idea what the Denver council is like.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×