On 2/7/2018 at 8:35 AM, HelpfulTracks said:

There was no Venturing YPT option, and the current YPT does not include much of the material tat was in the Venturing version, so I am not sure if the new is supposed to cover both, (I doubt it) or if the new one is not up.

Oddly, this year I still have access to all my apps, but under Training Center:Requirements. IT shows I have no registered positions, not unit, district or council.

Looks like National is still working out the kinks.

16 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

I had a similar issue. My YPT is good through 2018 so I am not going to waste time taking something that BSA hasn't figured out which one for us to take yet. When they get serious, so will I. In the meantime I have my old, valid YPT.

I just got of the phone with National Member Services. I was told there is only one YPT going forward, and that I am covered. Even though

Even though I have taken the new YPT, online records are not showing me covered for Venturing, just Boy Scouts.

It also concerns me that most of the Venturing info was removed. The old Venturing YPT covered info about sexual misconduct between Venturers, the new one doesn't specifically cover that issue.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Venturing one addresses age related stuff that doesn't match cub scout aged kids and issues to watch for.

I am finding out this process is dragging and dragging.  I noticed on my BeAScout page the option of Boy or Boy/Girl and so when I approached the council about it ( I am a DC) they said they aren't ac

On-line version needs to be scrapped.  Instructions from nice lady at National (after 13 minute wait) began with instruction NOT to select on-line guide  to taking the training as it takes one in a ci

1 minute ago, Back Pack said:

I wonder if the IT department is ahead of the policy people. 

I think it is the other way around. Policy folks seem clear (or at least the ones I talked to), but the all of the online places that show your trained status are not up to date.

29 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

I think it is the other way around. Policy folks seem clear (or at least the ones I talked to), but the all of the online places that show your trained status are not up to date.

I just wonder if the lack of Venturing stuff means that it’s going away and the tech guys got the memo early. 

12 minutes ago, JasonG172 said:

What would give you the Idea Venturing is going away?

My crew is actively out recruiting and many of the girls we talk to that are interested in scouting are holding off joining until they can go in to Boy scouts. 

1 minute ago, Back Pack said:

My crew is actively out recruiting and many of the girls we talk to that are interested in scouting are holding off joining until they can go in to Boy scouts. 

I am finding out this process is dragging and dragging.  I noticed on my BeAScout page the option of Boy or Boy/Girl and so when I approached the council about it ( I am a DC) they said they aren't activating any units yet.  They are testing one and only one for now.  I know in September when I go and do my recruiting for Cub Scouts I am going to have some bites from girls. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

I just got of the phone with National Member Services. I was told there is only one YPT going forward, and that I am covered. Even though

Even though I have taken the new YPT, online records are not showing me covered for Venturing, just Boy Scouts.

It also concerns me that most of the Venturing info was removed. The old Venturing YPT covered info about sexual misconduct between Venturers, the new one doesn't specifically cover that issue.

Indeed puzzling. Making me wonder like @Back Pack whether this is the death knell for Venturing. I am have been hearing rumblings from national and council staff, when asked about things related to Venturing, that "That doesn't matter right now." When someone tells me recruiting (aka, making more money for national and boosting membership numbers) "doesn't matter" when related to Venturing -- but they are pushing it like crack to Cub and Boy Scout units -- is very, very telling.

• Upvote 1

OK, question after the new YPT training.  Older training referred to preference to having to adults for two-deep.  but now it say two adults.   What does that do for the transportation issue of having scouts in cars going to campouts or meetings?  Does that mean you need two adults in the vehicle?   Many times it has been 1 adult and 4 youth in a vehicle.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

OK, question after the new YPT training.  Older training referred to preference to having to adults for two-deep.  but now it say two adults.   What does that do for the transportation issue of having scouts in cars going to campouts or meetings?  Does that mean you need two adults in the vehicle?   Many times it has been 1 adult and 4 youth in a vehicle.

Good question. The old answer was here.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Now called  the next generation of Youth Protection or Youth Protection 2.0 or YPT2 or YPT-2 not to be confused with YPT-2 (circa 2015)  :confused: ... registered leaders  are to complete by Oct 1, 2018 .  But note

Adults accompanying units on activities who are present at the activity for 72 hours or more, must take YPT2.  The 72 hours need not be consecutive. ( The Chicago Tribune reported that these adults , leaders or not, will also require a background checks but I have not been able to confirm. - RS)

Two BSA Positions that are (still ridiculously - RS) exempt from taking YPT2 are institutional heads (i.e., head of the chartered organization) and adult partners in Tiger and Lion programs.

https://www.scoutingvermont.org/uploads/4/7/2/2/47226097/gmc_ypt_updates.pdf

http://www.montanabsa.org/youth-protection-training_ypt2/

Edited by RememberSchiff
23 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Adults accompanying units on activities who are present at the activity for 72 hours or more, must take YPT2.  The 72 hours need not be consecutive. ( The Chicago Tribune reported that these adults , leaders or not, will also require a background checks but I have not been able to confirm. - RS)

This comes from the new policy that adults attending events over 72 hrs in duration have to be registered leaders (so they would have the background check).  I've seen this in a couple of leader guides for this summer's summer camp season.  New policy is in effect June 1 (so, starting this summer camp season).

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Chisos said:

This comes from the new policy that adults attending events over 72 hrs in duration have to be registered leaders (so they would have the background check).  I've seen this in a couple of leader guides for this summer's summer camp season.  New policy is in effect June 1 (so, starting this summer camp season).

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

For those in Texas, I heard that Texas will still accept the old YPT classroom training for camps this summer since the classroom part for YPT2 is not available yet.  I also heard that they are in discussions on if the online version is good enough to satisfy the classroom requirement in the future.  This is from our council YPT champion who is getting it from someone at national.