The information I've gotten from my council and ScoutingU says the training should be approximately one hour long. This has to do with some states requiring annual or regular youth protection training for any volunteers in their state who interact with youth or who interact with you in overnight-settings.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Venturing one addresses age related stuff that doesn't match cub scout aged kids and issues to watch for.

I am finding out this process is dragging and dragging.  I noticed on my BeAScout page the option of Boy or Boy/Girl and so when I approached the council about it ( I am a DC) they said they aren't ac

On-line version needs to be scrapped.  Instructions from nice lady at National (after 13 minute wait) began with instruction NOT to select on-line guide  to taking the training as it takes one in a ci

On the one hand it is a PITA and I now I have to tell some of our new younger ASM's and MBC (the just aged out scouts) that they will need to take it again when they thought they were good for 2 years. Was hard enough to get them to do it the first time.

Other the hand after looking through the material posted in this thread I thought it was a much more thorough and serious presentation. I was glad they talked about the possibility of older scouts preying on the younger scouts. That was a blind spot for me. It seems like an improvement and the greater good seems served my a deeper presentation even at the risk of losing a few folks by the greater demand on their time.

(But then I am a little biased as when I was in elementary school me and another kid got molested by our coach. If that happened today when I finally reported it maybe something would have happened. {To my father's credit he did not kill the man but I do believe the threat was sincerely made}.)

• Upvote 1

OK, took it and technical issues with module 2 not completing kept me from finishing it.  I have to say I think they did a good job on this.  other than the technical issues.

For Texas residents, there will be in person YPT available by June 1st.  In Texas, by law we are required to have it in person for camps over 72 hours.

Technical glitches aside, this is a much better program than the original YPT, much more in depth.

I did have to do it over the course of 2 days, as module 2 would not make it all the way to the end and kept throwing me back to the starting point.

I would encourage people to take it sooner rather than later.  As for that October date, who knows what may happen if someone puts it off and does not show complete by that time.  I do know that YPT will be a big part of our Commissioner meeting tomorrow.  I do intend to ask if there will be a penalty in that instance, other than not being included in recharter paperwork.

• Upvote 1

Interesting and timely thread.

My Venturing YPT expired last Saturday, so I needed to take it. My Boy Scout YPT shows as still valid until 2019, I retook it last Summer before Jambo. 

However, on my.scouting.org, the Take the Course link for Venturing is gone. So I searched through the training portal and found 2 versions of YPT. One said "Mandatory" the other said "Recommended". Since the recommended version said Status: Complete and the Mandatory version said Status: Incomplete, I postulated that the Mandatory version must be for Venturing, So I took it.

It was longer, I cannot say how much longer it should have been, because the performance was terrible, in fact at one point I had to start over. Hopefully that is resolved soon.

On Scoutbook (linked to Scoutnet) it Venturing YPT still shows expired. It is also that time of year (recharter) when things get wacky in my.scouting.org, where your apps disappear (it seems every year, during re-charter access to Commissioner tools, training manager etc, disappear for a few days to a few weeks).

There was no Venturing YPT option, and the current YPT does not include much of the material tat was in the Venturing version, so I am not sure if the new is supposed to cover both, (I doubt it) or if the new one is not up.

Oddly, this year I still have access to all my apps, but under Training Center:Requirements. IT shows I have no registered positions, not unit, district or council.

Looks like National is still working out the kinks.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Technical glitches aside, this is a much better program than the original YPT, much more in depth.

I did have to do it over the course of 2 days, as module 2 would not make it all the way to the end and kept throwing me back to the starting point.

I would encourage people to take it sooner rather than later.  As for that October date, who knows what may happen if someone puts it off and does not show complete by that time.  I do know that YPT will be a big part of our Commissioner meeting tomorrow.  I do intend to ask if there will be a penalty in that instance, other than not being included in recharter paperwork.

Lucky your module 2 completed, twice through it now with the same error....  grrrr

18 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Will the new training still have the "Too Sexy or Not" uniform quiz? And what is this "Skorting" trend I am supposed to be on guard for--skirt snorts? I am so confused. Do I need to get additional PYT-YPT training now? HELP!

Sorry, uniforming is above your pay grade.  Don't stress over skorts.  The scout shops will have what is proper, and your unit can push the official uniform as their standard. 

• Confused 1
7 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

However, on my.scouting.org, the Take the Course link for Venturing is gone. So I searched through the training portal and found 2 versions of YPT. One said "Mandatory" the other said "Recommended". Since the recommended version said Status: Complete and the Mandatory version said Status: Incomplete, I postulated that the Mandatory version must be for Venturing, So I took it.

I had a similar issue. My YPT is good through 2018 so I am not going to waste time taking something that BSA hasn't figured out which one for us to take yet. When they get serious, so will I. In the meantime I have my old, valid YPT.

Sigh.  Count me as being in the stuck on module 2 club.   I was really hoping to finish it before my council training team meeting tonight.  I would love to see a quick reference guide for the camping regulations.  Hopefully National will get up to speed soon as apparently there are already girls attending meetings and signing up.  

On a side note, is there any change to the BALOO trainings in regards to the girls joining yet? 

1 hour ago, Jackdaws said:

Sigh.  Count me as being in the stuck on module 2 club.   I was really hoping to finish it before my council training team meeting tonight.  I would love to see a quick reference guide for the camping regulations.  Hopefully National will get up to speed soon as apparently there are already girls attending meetings and signing up.  

On a side note, is there any change to the BALOO trainings in regards to the girls joining yet? 

You can go through the other modules and exam just not get credit for finishing it until you get module 2 complete.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Jackdaws said:

Something else I plan on asking about at tonight's Commissioner meeting, as we have BALOO training scheduled next month.

51 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

Something else I plan on asking about at tonight's Commissioner meeting, as we have BALOO training scheduled next month.

They changed BALOO a few months back. Part of it is online now, and that has to be completed BEFORE the actual class/outdoor experience. We were suppose to have a class last year, and that was postponed because  the changes came out 2 weeks before the class.