Punxsutawney (PA) Phil prognosticates 6 more weeks of winter

Woodstock Willie (Illinois - home of the movie Groundhog Day) is currently hiding in the witness protection program to avoid being whacked by the Chicago mob - they paid him off to not see his shadow and he betrayed them - he saw his shadow.

1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

I don’t see why the it matters since it’s 6 weeks until spring either way.

I figured this out a long time ago.  Six weeks after Groundhog Day is the Spring Solstice.  It has nothing to do with winter weather.  That's just the assumption people are led to believe. :)

It is a much better movie than it is a legend. :)

If this tradition started in Pa., it seems strange because it can snow into April, as it also sometimes does here, so that’s at least eight weeks right there.  And there are places in the U.S. where it can snow into May.  Winter weather ends when it ends, solstice or not.

Hmm, does this make me the Scrooge of Groundhog Day?

Edited by NJCubScouter

Ah, the yearly meteorological meanderings of the marmota monax ...

Remind me why we  get six me weeks of winter if he sees his shadow - doesn't that mean the sun is in fact shining, which should be indicative of impending spring, yet an overcast sky means he doesn't see his shadow, and thus somehow, more winter? 

This is why I would never trust the weather with an overgrown rodent. :laugh:

1 hour ago, The Latin Scot said:

This is why I would never trust the weather with an overgrown rodent. :laugh:

Actually, to be fair to the groundhog, a prediction by a human meteorologist about what the weather is going to be six weeks from now is worth about as much as the groundhog’s prediction.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

It is a much better movie than it is a legend. :)

If this tradition started in Pa., it seems strange because it can snow into April, as it also sometimes does here, so that’s at least eight weeks right there.  And there are places in the U.S. where it can snow into May.  Winter weather ends when it ends, solstice or not.

Hmm, does this make me the Scrooge of Groundhog Day?

Nobody says six consecutive consecutive weeks! :p

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Meanwhile in England...

forecasting-stone.jpg?w=1400

We have that too. Once in camp the forecasting stone was a large bolder with a tripod of huge spars set up on the parade ground in the middle of the night. There is always some new kid who has never seen it and thinks it is hilarious. :)

20 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

We have that too. Once in camp the forecasting stone was a large bolder with a tripod of huge spars set up on the parade ground in the middle of the night. There is always some new kid who has never seen it and thinks it is hilarious. :)

We call it a weather stone :) , our daycamp has one at scout craft. 

• Upvote 2
On 2/3/2018 at 5:59 PM, ItsBrian said:

I don’t see why the it matters since it’s 6 weeks until spring either way.

To quote Tevye (Fiddler on the Roof):   Tradition!

Its just a fun little way of keeping some tradition and history alive - Just sit back and enjoy it.