All Girl Cub Pack 1920, first in CA

With the help of Boy Scouts of America Sequoia Council, Rodney Blaco, a local father and Tulare County prosecutor created Cub Scout Pack 1920— the first all girl Cub Pack in California.  In 1920, the Women's Suffrage movement led to the 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote. 

On Thursday, Blaco and Sara Parsons, Sequoia Council district executive, met with Visalia Breakfast Rotary Club to discuss a partnership between the two. 

The move to welcome girls into the Cub Scout organization was one centered around family, Parsons said. 

“The idea behind letting girls into Cub Scouts was to create family scouting," she said. "It’s not making girls into Cub Scouts or girls into Boy Scouts, it’s creating an opportunity for families to go to one place for all their kids to receive the same opportunities to grow in their leadership skills, to learn how to make good life choices and to learn how to grow into adults that are going to be productive members of society.” 

More details at source link.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/news/2018/02/01/visalias-all-girl-cub-scout-pack-blazes-new-trails/1086714001/

Edited by RememberSchiff

We had a meeting with parents of some of our new girl members last night.  One of the biggest complaints and questions was regarding separate dens.  The comments were all similar ... why should any girl join if this won’t be coed, why shouldn’t all girls then simply stay in Girl Scouts.  We explained that the Pack would be coed and that seemed like to help a bit.  I wonder what families and supporters of GSUSA will think of all Girl Packs.  Clearly that doesn’t help families go to one organization in terms of planning their time.  I don’t understand how creating a girl Pack is family scouting, and given some of the comments I got regarding separate dens I can only imagine what current GSUSA supporters would think about it.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

...I wonder what families and supporters of GSUSA will think of all Girl Packs.  Clearly that doesn’t help families go to one organization in terms of planning their time...

That did stand out in the article. The primary reason given for forming this pack was the Family Scouting aspect, and yet this is an all-girl pack. Kind of counter-productive if you're going with the "family" program as the leading reason to do it. 

I'm encouraged by these stories of new packs forming and lots of girls getting into Cub Scouts, but I have to admit that I'm a little skeptical about motivations. I hope people aren't doing this just to make a statement or for self-serving publicity. 

1 minute ago, EmberMike said:

I hope people aren't doing this just to make a statement or for self-serving publicity. 

To be honest, when I read this story and saw they person who created the Pack was a deputy DA I thought.... political move.  

• Like 1