Adopted sites in Council Camp?

Is anyone on here familiar with camps that may have units adopt a site or two in a council camp and make sure it is maintained as needed?  I could see, with the right parameters, a win-win arrangement.  Units would get reduced fees, depending on the level of their involvement, and the camp would possibly have more consistently maintained sites.  Years ago, when our camp was new, our unit was involved in a major way in its development, and they had their own spot when they went there.  That has long since gone away, but some variable of this might be an incentive, not only for camp upkeep, but also a guaranteed spot to camp a couple times a year at low or no expense.  I am sure this idea is ripe for a tug of war of opinions.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Our council used to, maybe still does, allow a unit to care for a cabin at one of our camps in return for a reduced or free weekend rental.  Seems pretty easy concept to apply to a campsite.

In our area the concept died on the vine for a few reasons.

First, council was really bad at making camp availability easily known. Units had a hard time finding out when they could go to camp to conduct upkeep. You couldn't just show up and start working. The ranger had to know and be willing to allow you on property. Next, with four council camps there was no intelligent distribution of sites for units to serve. We have one camp north of the city, one just south, one two hours west and one two hours south-east. Council would assign a unit in the north a camp site at the western camp, or a southern unit a camp in the northern camp instead of assigning the closest units to their closest camp. Lastly, when units did perform maintenance some did a great job whereas some were so bad that they actually made things worse. Anytime a unit wanted to "upgrade" or really fix something, council would require 10,000 forms and months of waiting only to have them say "no". So it got disheartening to participate.

Hope other councils have better luck than we did.

Edited by Col. Flagg
20 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

Heard good things about that camp. Nice promo too. Wish our council did something this nice.

No camp is perfect but they were really good. Was impressed at how loyal the staff was to the camp and how many years some of them have been coming back. Good signs. Were very accommodating to special requests if they were reasonable.

• Upvote 1

The small local camp in my district does indeed have units that sponsor the campsites. Long story short, there was a time when the council invested as little as possible into the camp. Only way the camp survived was troops, posts, and crews taking responsibility for a campsite. Local OA chapter has, and continues, to invest a lot of time and money into the camp.

What got the council back interested is that it is the only council camp that Cub Scouts can do boating activities on.

Another council camp, the one where camporees are held, also has troops taking care of sites. In fact troops are responsible for any and all improvements: waterlines, latrines, shelters, etc. One reason why troops refuse to move from campsites is because they have invested time and money into them.

There's a nearby troop here that has had a sponsored campsite at the council summer camp for probably 30 years. Looking at their website, it seems they still have that site today. 

I think part of it is so that they have a guaranteed same site at camp every summer, in a prime location. Troops that don't get a say in where they camp end up way down the road and have to do the long walk to the dining hall for each meal. 

Somewhere in my recollection is a weekend camping trip at the main camp of another council, in which there was some evidence of units having "adopted" sites for upkeep purposes.  I do not know how well it worked out, or even whether it was still in effect at the time I was at the camp.

3 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I heard a rumor that was at Camp Raven Knob, NC. Some units go to the same campsite for summer camp for decades so they invest in better improvements, etc.

I've seen adopted camp sites at several NC camps, including Raven Knob, Grimes, and Daniel Boone. Some get pretty elaborate, with shelters, power, engineered fire pits, hammock stands, and benches. These camps all have online registration for weekend camping, so it's easy to reserve your favorites.

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, Rock Doc said:

I've seen adopted camp sites at several NC camps, including Raven Knob, Grimes, and Daniel Boone. Some get pretty elaborate, with shelters, power, engineered fire pits, hammock stands, and benches. These camps all have online registration for weekend camping, so it's easy to reserve your favorites.

I never was a scout, but it sounds like there are more amenities than the traditional state park.  The family and I camp, but we prefer a more primitive opportunity.