William Hillcourt Biography ?

Not being a local William Hillcourt and his works were new to me. Having read some / a lot of what he wrote I really like it and think that his take on Scouting and the Patrol Method are about the best.

I was wondering is there a biography of him in print? Some of the stories that I have heard lead me to believe that he was a real character.

Eamonn

It never occurred to me that he wasn't flesh & blood, but then I grew up reading Boys Life in the sixtes/ seventies. My guess is that there were other scouts who thought their own leaders were cool but that Greenbar Bill would be "Excellent!" Hi monthly column was always interesting & often offered a different side of scouting.

The following link is from a Scouter netcompass search. I haven't checked it out yet.

Bob

Category: compass/Scouting History/People/William Hillcourt

http://pinetreeweb.com/godollo.htmem

Green Bar Bill was a very real person, Eamonn. I never met him, but have a picture of my father getting his autograph on a Scout Handbook. I don't know of any biographies written about him, but I haven't looked either.

Unc.

I have read "Two Lives Of A Hero" and visit the Green Bar Bill web site from time to time.

I have also read what Terry has written in the site dedication.

Eamonn