This may not be a disability per se, more of a physical limitation question.

I have an adult scouter who because of past injuries, surgeries and arthritis creeping in, can't bend his pinky to make the scout sign.  Not a bit deal, but he's wondering if he should: 1. Bend his index finger, so that he's still performing the sign with 3 fingers, or 2. hold his whole hand up to make a 4-fingered sign.

Thanks in advance.

We have a long time Scouter in the same situation. Due to injuries, and also arthritis as a result of the injuries, He does the best he can with the right hand. He can bend the thumb, but not the pinky.

After my accident and surgery, my right arm was either in a sling or immobilizer, and I could not move the arm at all. For three months, I had to use the left hand. Once out of the immobilizer, I had a hard time making the sign with the right hand, and did my best. Thankfully rehab was my friend, despite the "Pain and Torture." ;)

• Honor God and Country
  • Help Others
  • Obey the Scout Law[

Three fingers symbolize those three points. I don't think the thumb holding down the pinky was meant to symbolize anything - it was just a way to draw attention to the other fingers. So, I like option 1.

1 hour ago, Pale Horse said:

... 1. Bend his index finger, so that he's still performing the sign with 3 fingers, or 2. hold his whole hand up to make a 4-fingered sign. ...

• 1 year later...

Here is a thought - have HIM lead a discussion with the scouts and get their thoughts. Even younger scouts can be quite insightful. And thy will then know why the leader is doing the sign differently. 

• Thanks 1

It is the attitude that is important.  If he had no hand at all? 

I would make sure he had a cuppa later for being a Scouter.  Right hand? Four fingers:   God, Country, Others,  Self.    Those are the Parts of the Scout Promise I mention and remember.   Three fingers?   Cub Scouts use two, ScoutsBSA now use three, adults hold a whole hand open, thus showing they can be trusted and are not holding a weapon (old history/tradition, yes?)

1tree has a nice idea...   a Scoutmaster's minute about the symbology of the Scout Sign. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...