STEM Scouts continues to grow

“All of them together make this gooey, but not so gooey slime,” explained 10-year-old Jonah Weber, who learned the importance of meticulous measurement and lab safety practices in the pursuit of discovery at the inaugural meeting.

It doesn’t get more hands-on than stretching slime between fingers, adding different levels of liquid to see how it affects the material’s viscosity or sticking it to noses.

“It was fun and creative,” Weber said.

“What’s important is that it helps the Scouts be successful citizens,” Weber said. The scout said that Scout principles and STEM, especially engineering, have a lot in common. “It’s helping people,” he said.

Source:  Coastsiders Experiment with new Scouts Program 

http://www.hmbreview.com/news/coastsiders-experiment-with-new-scouts-program/article_15d3b91e-06e0-11e8-a2c4-83360e14e04e.html

According the stemscouts.org

32 Councils (24 states) now have an least one STEM unit.

Assuming this meets the mission

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

Wonder if the nice lady doing science experiments in her kitchen is aware of the mission, or the Scout oath and law?

I suspect we will be doing sports leagues next, though probably, somewhere, that is happening

Edited by Jameson76
4 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

Wonder if the nice lady doing science experiments in her kitchen is aware of the mission, or the Scout oath and law?

I suspect we will be doing sports leagues next, though probably, somewhere, that is happening

Is that also the mission of STEM Scouts? I ask because while I don't know a whole lot about it, my impression of it is that it is separate from the BSA program. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

What difference does it make?  The scout oath and the scout law are just historical artifacts from a bygone age. BSA doesn't have moral standards anymore.

• Confused 1
5 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

Is that also the mission of STEM Scouts? I ask because while I don't know a whole lot about it, my impression of it is that it is separate from the BSA program. 

Well...apparently not, though to some degree.  Oath and Law are not mentioned in the Mission.  They are mentioned in the BSA Connection detail.  We are just one big tent welcoming all now. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorers, Ventures, STEM scouts, Learning for Life, STBNAALD (Scouts to be named at a later date)

https://stemscouts.org/about-stem-scouts/

MISSION

Using experiential activities and interaction with STEM professionals, the goal of the STEM Scouts program is to help young people grow in character and skills as they explore their curiosity about STEM fields. It is hoped that their growing knowledge will translate into the STEM-related careers that are so crucial to our country’s future economy. While the program focuses on future careers in STEM, it is ultimately designed to be challenging, thought-provoking and, most importantly, fun.

BSA CONNECTION

A coed program of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), STEM Scouts offers a scouting experience with less emphasis on the outdoors. STEM Scouts follows the Scout Oath and Law with the goal of producing young men and women who are leaders, display confidence, realize their skills and limitations, are respectful of others’ opinions, are problem solvers in all aspects of life, look for opportunities to serve others, are good citizens and demonstrate integrity in all phases of life.

5 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

That is so 2000, ;)

Seriously BSA did,  don't know if it is still around, have Scout Soccer from 2000 onwards. 

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-035_wb.pdf

You do in fact learn something new each and every day

Does seem to be in Charlotte, NC and Arizona at least

poster1.jpg

The STEM labs pop up and close down all the time. The San Diego and Santa Barbara ones have vanished. Strange.

I was thinking, if STEM Scouts is a big deal and they are so tiny and take such a great effort and expense to run. . . will Boy Scouts ever die?

Just think the news from 100 years from now might read. . .

Boy Scouts are making a big come back from their low of only 3 troops back in 2067,  they are up to 32 Councils (24 states), each council has an least one Troop! 

59 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

From our church's troop centennial history:

1936: Troop 17 becomes known for its hockey team. Wins are frequent in bloody battles within the St. Paul Scout Hockey League.

I wouldn't mind reading more about this episode in early scouting.

3 minutes ago, cocomax said:

The STEM labs pop up and close down all the time. The San Diego and Santa Barbara ones have vanished. Strange.

I was thinking, if STEM Scouts is a big deal and they are so tiny and take such a great effort and expensive to run. . . will Boy Scouts ever die?

My understanding, STEM scouts in partnership with schools apply and receive government education grants.

58 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

It does. The Oath and Law are very much a part of STEM Scouts.

We have. Part of Varsity Scouts was starting and supporting you athletic programs. As well as other Troops and Post over the decades.

53 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

It is. STEM Scouts is owned an operated by BSA. Councils that are doing STEM Scouts likely have a DE that is in charge of that program.

It was started in the Great Smoky Mountain Council by two PhD's  from Oak Ridge National Laboratory (which was created for the Manhattan Project).

It has been piloted across several councils throughout the U.S.

Having seen it first hand, it is a great program.

Just now, RememberSchiff said:

My understanding, STEM scouts in partnership with schools apply and receive government education grants.

No room at all for expanding or massaging the membership numbers with that plan (what!! I'm registered with who??) ... just move along Citizen Scout, nothing to see here

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

No room at all for expanding or massaging the membership numbers with that plan (what!! I'm registered with who??) ... just move along Citizen Scout, nothing to see here

Oh, should I have said    STEM scout units can partner with schools and apply/receive government education grants. 

I don't know how the charter process works or even if there is one with STEM scouts. I was surprised the unit leader in my OP was running the unit from her house.

Edited by RememberSchiff
Just now, Jameson76 said:

Just now, RememberSchiff said:

Oh, should I have said    STEM scout units can partner with schools apply and receive government education grants. 

I don't know how the charter process works or even if there is one with STEM scouts. I was surprised the unit leader in my OP was running the unit from her house.

STEM Scouts are chartered by schools. They are called Labs.  The volunteers are registered with BSA and are required to have YPT. The youth are registered with BSA and you will see them listed on membership reports for district and council. They fall outside the "Traditional Program" when referenced in reporting.

Their uniform is a lab coat. They do several hands on experiments per year.

It is not an inexpensive program approximately $100 per Scout per year. The experiments use a lot of materials and all of the Scouts get hands on experience. In that regard, they are out pacing many troops I see. Due to the expense, there are a number of funding partners that offer grants and scholarships.

• Upvote 1