Cubmaster Retiring

Our long term Cubmaster is stepping down this April when his son crosses over, so we are working on a send off.  Our Pack financial status is in good shape so our new Cubmaster suggested using some of those funds for a gift card.  I’m pushing back as I don’t think it is appropriate and it feels like it would be against policy.

First... is there anyone who thinks this would be appropriate?  I think he was just throwing out ideas (he is a good leader), but it didn’t strike me as right.

Second... any good examples of gifts/sendoffs for Cub Masters?  I definitely want to give him something, but from a dedicated collection from the Pack’s families.

I'm not aware of a policy that would be against it.  Giving a gift card would be appropriate in my book.  It's not really any different than the pack buying him something.

Myself - I'd prefer a gift that said something about Scouting and my time in the pack.  A card signed by everyone, something special special to your pack, or something from my time as Cubmaster.  Maybe a picture of me from my first pack meeting or camping trip.  Or perhaps something practical I'll use everyday.  Years ago someone gave me a ridiculous key chain.  I use it everyday and think back fondly to when it was presented.

I think I'd sit around with some leaders and brainstorm about memorable stories about the Cubmaster.  See if anything neat pops out of that.

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

Our long term Cubmaster is stepping down this April when his son crosses over, so we are working on a send off.  Our Pack financial status is in good shape so our new Cubmaster suggested using some of those funds for a gift card.  I’m pushing back as I don’t think it is appropriate and it feels like it would be against policy.

It might be against our policy, too. Money raised by the unit should be used only for scouting purposes. You didn't say if he is intending to volunteer for the troop. I wouldn't see anything wrong with your Cub Scout unit offering to pay for his training for a troop position or activity. 

I agree with the plaque idea; in fact the Scout Store offers a number of examples that would be perfect, appropriate gifts. Have it engraved with a lovely message and relevant information regarding his tenure, and it would be just the thing. 

Regardless of whether it's entirely appropriate or not, I feel a gift card is the gift that says you don't know me. A nice plaque or even a statuette is a dignified memento he can put among his personal effects in a place of honor. I would go with that if possible.

• Upvote 1

My church gives its employees a cash gift every Christmas.  But it is a dedicated donation from the members, and it's clear that it is not a tax deductible donation to the church.  Checks are made out to the person collecting the money.  That being said, I agree $600 is outrageous.  Dedicate a Pack Meeting to his honor...similar to a Blue and Gold banquet...have each den have a skit ... have lots of fellowship and signed cards from the scouts.  If the Pack leadership wants to take he and his wife out for a nice dinner and adult beverages, that would be nice too...on their own nickel.

$600 does seem a might steep. 

We had a long term SM retire.  We did not even entertain a gift card.  We gave him a troop flag folded into one of the display boxes with the troop numbers showing, also we dedicated a portion of the scout area at the CO in his name.  We did invite many of the scouts from his tenure to come to the meeting, then we passed the microphone around and they shared brief memories and thank you's.  That was the best part.

Edited by Jameson76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I should note that he was talking about a $600 gift card.

[spits tea all over his keyboard and screen]

Six HUNDRED dollars!

Plaques and other engraved things are a good idea. Or you could buy something for the pack, and put a name plaque on it, and have a photo with the cubs and the thing framed for the cub master. To be facile, if they liked cooking, a new big metal ladle with "Bob's ladle" down the handle. One of our local huts has "Sue's Kitchen" but then she was the group scout leader and it was In Memoriam so slightly different.

There's some nice stuff in the world scouting shop.

agreed..... and I'd add tacky.  Put a little more thought into it if he's really worth that much money to the pack!

I've thought about this very thing a few years back...both from the context of what to get someone and also what i would like to have received when I stepped down.  Well in the end I received nothing, nor did the previous guys.  And that is ok.

I think most things such as plaques or certificates or collectibles are only really enjoyed by a few certain types of people.  To most folks they have no place to hang it, no need, and they become clutter.....so if that route I think smaller is often better.

On the lines of a plaque or collectible, I thought it might be nice to receive a small recreation of the pack flag, like index card sized, framed or mounted somehow, maybe with a  small tag perhaps listing dates of service...or written right on the flag.  I could hang it in my office.  Too big though & I would't have space for it and honestly I'd think it tacky.

A picture of the scouts, or a card that they made, etc........ well that really only is from the current pack.  You said he was long term.... that doesn't really touch on all those other scouts he remembers.  A memory book, well maybe if it were possible to get a collection of photos and documents through the years.  get cubs from years past that are now grown to write letters for the book.  But still, it's a dust collector.

A really nice pocket knife, engraved with dates of service.....well maybe.

Honestly, I think a nice tribute would be good enough.... maybe like a mini-Blue and Gold type thing.  Not a huge big deal, just some simple food or some cake, a slide show if you can get pictures from throughout his tenure.

Great ideas, thanks.  I agree, the $600 amount caused me to push back.   We are planning on thanking him during our Blue and Gold and I’m trying to get several Boy Scouts who were Cubs under him to attend as well.  I love the flag idea and several others.  I’ll continue to push back on the gift card, and it will definitely not come out of the Pack budget.