Dive watch selection for Florida Sea base.

I was reading through the participant handbook and noticed they want all scuba participants to have a dive watch. What has everyone else been using. Just want a low cost option that works ok at the depths we will be seeing. Thanks for any help. 

1 hour ago, Duhawk49 said:

I was reading through the participant handbook and noticed they want all scuba participants to have a dive watch. What has everyone else been using. Just want a low cost option that works ok at the depths we will be seeing. Thanks for any help. 

Pretty much any 200M watch is sufficient for Scuba diving.  I wouldn't get less than 200m, because of basic ruggedness.  Casio makes affordable ones.

• Upvote 1

As a SCUBA instructor I agree with @perdidochas. I recommend a watch with no less than 100m waterproof rating, 200m is better. I had a Casio as a backup to my dive computer for over 20 years. I now have  Timex.

A couple of things to keep in mind when shopping. 

1) Can the buttons be pushed underwater? Some styles will flood if the buttons are used underwater. 

2) Can the battery be changed by the local watch store/repair person or jeweler ? If the battery can't be replaced locally it can get expensive. Waterproofness (if that's a word) can be compromised when the battery is changed. Not an issue now but could be in the future.

3) Is the wristband long enough to go over a wetsuit top? Is it short enough to wear as an everyday watch? Band length can be an issue if it fits on land it may not fit over a wetsuit top. I have very slim wrists, to get something for daily wear I can wear it over my wetsuit. So I get around this by attaching it to my BCD on a chest strap. It's secure and easy to see there. For safe measure I work a tie wrap into the buckle so I don't lose my watch.

4) Can the face of the watch be read underwater and in love visibility? It does you no good if you can't read it. Is it big enough to see, but as above not so big that it looks/feels awful on land?

5) If it has a bezel (the rotating ring around the face) it should only rotate in one direction, counter clockwise. This is a safety feature. Counter clockwise will rotation will decrease dive time not extend it if accidentally bumped/twisted not increase it. This make your bottom time less in reality and less chance of decompression illness. 

Unless you are going to become or are an avid diver less is more here. Get what you can afford that does the job you need it to do. As beginning or occasional divers you probably don't need one of the $$$$ watches. $50-$60 should get you a really good beginning watch for your purposes and maybe a milkshake for after shopping.

Happy Diving!! A little jealous as I sit here in the sub-freezing weather getting ready to shovel the driveway yet again.

• Upvote 1

I have never been to Seabase. My son was but did the sailing adventure. Frankly I could not afford to send two boys and myself on all these expensive trips.

As for a dive watch I have no idea. (My everyday watch is an old basic under $20 Casio. It has been around the world and on many adventures and I noticed my jeweler wore one!)

• Haha 1

I purchased one of these dive computers. Simple and works well. I'd only get this if you see more diving in the future. Otherwise the simple dive watches described will do.

Of note, all the reefs are shallow, and I don't recall being any deeper than 30ft, with most of the time above that depth.

Edited by revdmv