Why Can't Adults Trust the Scouts

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I stand corrected.   Allow me to rephrase  We seem to have adults who think that the troop exists for their fun and benefit rather than the scouts.

Sadly, my most problematic Scouters have been Eagles.  Others seem to be more willing to not fall back on, "When I was a scout..."

I can't recall if you said the SM was complicit in this or if he just didn't care that he (and his youth leaders) kept getting mowed over by this ASM. But as a former SM I would want to know this situ

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

I've been  down this road twice in the last 30 years. There's a lot I could say but I need to go to a meeting in 10 minutes so to sum up.

We have adults here who think it's their Troop rather than the Scouts troop that's why they're acting like the world's oldest patrol leader I'm afraid your not going to change their minds.

If I were in your shoes I take my boys and as many of the other Scouts as I could and run there's just no point in beating your head against a stone wall. And let the other Scouts know they're what they're getting is not scouting it's just some old guys who enjoy being in charge and are going to stay in charge as long as they can unless you can get them thrown out

13 hours ago, David CO said:

Neither is correct. It is the Chartered Organization's troop. 

8 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

I stand corrected.  

Allow me to rephrase 

We seem to have adults who think that the troop exists for their fun and benefit rather than the scouts.

No OldScout, you are correct, it IS the Scouts troop.

Saying it is the CO's troop is akin to me saying the new jacket my son purchased, with money he earned, is MY jacket. Legally it is mine and I am responsible for him, but it is HIS jacket. Or maybe that the group of people he hangs out with are MY friends, because I provide a place for him to sleep.

• Upvote 2

Interesting conversation last nite with oldest. He was planning to ask the SPL for 5 minutes of time to discuss the matter of the troop doing fundraising, but the Scouts having no input as to purchases. I reminded him that the fundraising committee also asked for some time to get ideas for other fundraisers, and suggested he bring the matter up to them. He's going with that.

Thankfully he's been involved in debate and mock trial. So he can think on his feet. I posed some questions the adults might pull on him, and he countered every single one.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I don’t think he meant it that way, more as who runs it and makes most of the decisions.

I understand that, but there are other people on the forum who do mean it that way.

I don't think the ownership of a unit is a matter of opinion. It is a fact. The CO owns the unit.

2 minutes ago, David CO said:

I understand that, but there are other people on the forum who do mean it that way.

I don't think the ownership of a unit is a matter of opinion. It is a fact. The CO owns the unit.

I’m aware.