Hey there all,

This summer I will be the aquatics director for one of the camps in my council, one of the most important events for Aquatics is our Water Carnival (Aquathon, Aqua Carnival, Beach Party). Recently, I've seen the decline in unit participation and wanted to get some ideas for different events we could do to increase our troop and scout involvement. For reference we have an on our property a 300-acre lake, with three camps, each has two speedboats, one pontoon, about 10 Standup Paddle Boards, 25 kayaks, about 30 Canoes, 6-row boats, an inflatable Iceberg, and about five small sailboats, our swimming area is approximately 50x25 with two floating docks in the far corners. The program is held on Wednesday evening from about 530-830 I can get funding approved for almost anything within reason given I go through the proper channels, and don't go to excessive.

Thank

• Upvote 1

Some ones that are fairly easy

• Match relay - set up a relay with X number of points, first person is given the match, they run into the water, hand it to someone on the dock, they have to get in the water, swim, give it to some else, repeat a few times, strike the match.  Team with lowest time that can get the match to strike wins
  • Canoe relay - 4 or 5 in a canoe, no paddles, out and back, change teams
  • Greased watermelon - be sure to match but weights, it can get brutal
21 minutes ago, Tgstaffer said:

An issue with Water Balloons is we would have to collect all the scraps afterward(quite tedious after a full day) because of leave no trace

Fair enough. Too bad you can't fling indigenous fish.

Canoe swamping competition. They did that at OA (mostly leaders) and when a boat went down they played the death theme from Hunger Games which was pretty funny.

Is the water shallow? We did a obstacle course camp out and the part that was out in the water was the most entertaining part.

1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

A good experiment for Environmental Science merit badge. Do these balloons biodegrade in water, soil, and how long does it take? What happens if wildlife ingests?

Some people said:

A: If they're in soil, and it rains, within 2-4 days. I brought these to college, so I played a bunch of pranks with them... I never really kept track of where they went. But I did launch one fairly close to my dorm, and I didn't see it the next day on the ground... So maybe 2-4 days are an exaggeration. They're worth it tho. Have fun”

People say they use them in lakes, etc.

19 hours ago, CA Scout Mom said:

Sounds like a great camp, BTW?  Where is it?

It's S-F (pronounced S Bar F) scout ranch its a Camp owned by the Greater St. Louis Area Council, the camp I work at is one of only a few patrol method cooking only camps in the country left.

• Upvote 1