“Eagle Scout Canidate” On Resume

2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I’m aware, but just letting others know that I’m not rushing or anything.

Adding onto my own post...

I need to focus on school right now anyway, some Vocational school trades are not always the easiest. I’m juggling a mental health unit and EMR certification course for my Program, which is requiring a lot of  book studying. 

I also want to actually enjoy my time before Eagle. I’m completely fine where I’m right now, I’m not going to wait 2 years and procrastinate. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there's still an opportunity to start a much better discussion than whether or not you'll become an eagle scout. If you were an SPL then talk about some skills you developed in that roll. Team

I would read: "Not an Eagle Scout."  And I was in charge of hiring for my department at the telephone company.   You have, I think, the correct instinct.  Don't stretch the truth.  It may le

Other than the obvious answer of not spelling Candidate as Canidate , I would not put it on my resume.  Would you put Life Scout candidate if you were a Star Scout?  You want your resume to reflect yo

5 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Did you have midterms recently?

My school doesn't have midterm in every class, only in about 5 out of 8 classes I take. I still have at least two to take next week. I also have my EMR state exam on Monday.

3 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

My school doesn't have midterm in every class, only in about 5 out of 8 classes I take. I still have at least two to take next week. I also have my EMR state exam on Monday.

For EMR is that the cognitive or psychometer exam?

2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I also want to actually enjoy my time before Eagle. I’m completely fine where I’m right now, I’m not going to wait 2 years and procrastinate. 

This is mildly amusing to me ... when you say "actually enjoy my time before Eagle," does that mean that most people ... don't? Or that somehow things will change after you earn it? Don't get me wrong, you have a lot going on in school, and you should definitely focus on that for the time being. But that's always the risk boys run with Scouting - every year they get even busier, and for too many boys, 18 comes before they know it and they are left with more hurdles than they expected when they actually get to the application process.

I was talking a few months ago with a 13 year-old Life Scout who was telling me a similar feeling he had; he said he was in no hurry to get his Eagle, and that he wanted to spend time enjoying Scouts before getting it done. The point I made to him then, which I make again now, is that this line of thinking wrongly implies that once the rank of Eagle is earned Scouting somehow "ends." Get your kicks in now Life Scouts, because once you get your Eagle the fun stops and the wilderness is closed and it's time for you to move on with your life! I more or less told him that if he quit Scouting as soon as he got to Eagle, he missed the whole point of it, regardless of how old he was. Fortunately he took those words to heart - he turned 14 last week, and his Eagle Court of Honor is this Friday.

You can and should be happy with where you are at, but at the same time, it does mean that you are choosing to wait before moving forward, which is by definition a degree of procrastination. It isn't saying whether it's good or bad or right or wrong - it's simply that for now, you are putting off your Scouting advancement, and will presumably get back to it at a later time. It is important to prioritize, and right now school comes out on top for you.

For that reason though, I would think it somewhat pretentious to put "Eagle candidate" on a resume. It comes off as an attempt to take advantage of the reputation of Eagle Scouts by stating, more or less, someday I might be one! or not, but still - hire me! The proper term for an Eagle candidate is a Life Scout, but it seems people just want employers to see the word EAGLE in hopes that it will give them some edge over other applicants. It would appear from past posts however that you are more than capable and experienced enough to put out a good resume already; you don't need to pad it by suggesting you are working to become something that, as of now, you are not. Later when you have completed the requirements and pass your Board of Review, you can definitively place "Eagle Scout" among the other honors and awards you have earned.

4 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

This is mildly amusing to me ... when you say "actually enjoy my time before Eagle," does that mean that most people ... don't? Or that somehow things will change after you earn it? Don't get me wrong, you have a lot going on in school, and you should definitely focus on that for the time being. But that's always the risk boys run with Scouting - every year they get even busier, and for too many boys, 18 comes before they know it and they are left with more hurdles than they expected when they actually get to the application process.

I was talking a few months ago with a 13 year-old Life Scout who was telling me a similar feeling he had; he said he was in no hurry to get his Eagle, and that he wanted to spend time enjoying Scouts before getting it done. The point I made to him then, which I make again now, is that this line of thinking wrongly implies that once the rank of Eagle is earned Scouting somehow "ends." Get your kicks in now Life Scouts, because once you get your Eagle the fun stops and the wilderness is closed and it's time for you to move on with your life! I more or less told him that if he quit Scouting as soon as he got to Eagle, he missed the whole point of it, regardless of how old he was. Fortunately he took those words to heart - he turned 14 last week, and his Eagle Court of Honor is this Friday.

You can and should be happy with where you are at, but at the same time, it does mean that you are choosing to wait before moving forward, which is by definition a degree of procrastination. It isn't saying whether it's good or bad or right or wrong - it's simply that for now, you are putting off your Scouting advancement, and will presumably get back to it at a later time. It is important to prioritize, and right now school comes out on top for you.

For that reason though, I would think it somewhat pretentious to put "Eagle candidate" on a resume. It comes off as an attempt to take advantage of the reputation of Eagle Scouts by stating, more or less, someday I might be one! or not, but still - hire me! The proper term for an Eagle candidate is a Life Scout, but it seems people just want employers to see the word EAGLE in hopes that it will give them some edge over other applicants. It would appear from past posts however that you are more than capable and experienced enough to put out a good resume already; you don't need to pad it by suggesting you are working to become something that, as of now, you are not. Later when you have completed the requirements and pass your Board of Review, you can definitively place "Eagle Scout" among the other honors and awards you have earned.

Agreed.

Also, by “wanting to enjoy my time” , I meant that I don’t want any extra responsibility right now, or be expected to do a certain thing that is important when I’m busy with school right now.

And lets say I get eagle in a month (physically not possible), I wouldn’t enjoy the program anymore since I would have more expected of me when I’m busy with school.

Edited by ItsBrian
Just now, ItsBrian said:

Agreed.

Also, by “wanting to enjoy my time” , I meant that I don’t want any extra responsibility right now, or be expected to do a certain thing that is important when I’m busy with school right now.

Understood. That kind of focus will certainly be important after High School when you more on to any kind of university, college, or trade school setting!

On 1/31/2018 at 4:23 PM, The Latin Scot said:

My oldest enjoyed his post-Eagle time more than his pre-Eagle time.  Admittedly, he was the first Eagle in the memory of the Troop that stayed actively involved for more than a few months after getting his Eagle.