“Eagle Scout Canidate” On Resume

2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

SPL, on my 2nd and final term. (They wanted me to continue for a 3rd term because small Troop, almost no senior scouts)

Getting burnt out :confused:

Boy Scout: Life Rank, Senior Patrol Leader

That says it all, and is enough on the resume` to get you an interview from anyone who admires scouts (and no small number of employers who may despise them). At the interview, they will ask how close you are to getting Eagle and what specific responsibilities you took on as SPL. As an employer, I want to know that you'll call a spade a spade. Trust me, Mrs. Q and I are dealing with an elder care situation where staff didn't have the stones to be forthright with us. Their administrators got an earful, and they are none too please to hear about their staff glossing over an incident that could have been settled with an apology.

I'll bet a -1 on this post from you if you don't experience this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there's still an opportunity to start a much better discussion than whether or not you'll become an eagle scout. If you were an SPL then talk about some skills you developed in that roll. Team

I would read: "Not an Eagle Scout."  And I was in charge of hiring for my department at the telephone company.   You have, I think, the correct instinct.  Don't stretch the truth.  It may le

Other than the obvious answer of not spelling Candidate as Canidate , I would not put it on my resume.  Would you put Life Scout candidate if you were a Star Scout?  You want your resume to reflect yo

49 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

I do judge grammar and spelling errors.  It indicates a lack of attention to detail.  I used to have a professional colleague who had business cards printed up listing his name as "John Doe, PhD (candidate)".  There was another one who listed himself as "John Doe, MS, ABD" (all but dissertation).  We laugh at guys like that...and certainly didn't hire them.  Humility is an admirable trait.

People put ms or ba or bs in their titles? Really? That’s lame. 

6 minutes ago, Back Pack said:

It's standard in some industries. Not lame at all.

It is expected in some industries that some certifications appear in titles, or even right alongside someone's name. It's especially common in QA and regulatory jobs in pharma. 

2 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

It's standard in some industries. Not lame at all.

It is expected in some industries that some certifications appear in titles, or even right alongside someone's name. It's especially common in QA and regulatory jobs in pharma. 

Which industries. I’m curious. 

On 1/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, ItsBrian said:

I’m being told by my parents and other troop leaders that I should put “Eagle Scout Canidate” on my resume to present myself better. But, I don’t believe I’m a “Canidate” until I fill out the application, etc. 

I did my project, I am only two merit badges away. 

I wanted other scouters opinions on how they would feel if they saw it.

What MBs do you have left?  Get to work on them. The light is at the end of the tunnel.  If you don't have Personal Fitness or Personal Management, get to work on them immediately.  

On 1/27/2018 at 2:30 PM, ItsBrian said:

I told them the same exact thing as you all said.

I didn’t earn it yet, and I’m not exactly close so why would I put it?

Theoretically, you could finish up in 3 1/2 months or less. Get on those MBs ASAP.  

29 minutes ago, Back Pack said:

It's pretty common in the Educational Technology world. In addition, some expect you to put your highest IT certification as well.  

Edited by perdidochas
18 minutes ago, Back Pack said:

Any organization that does research is going to be curious if you have a PhD. They're going to be so curious that putting it as a title will get them to read past your name. Any organization that teaches is going to be curious as to your education. Anyone that deals with regulatory or any required licensing will also want to know. So, scientists, teachers, doctors, lawyers, civil engineers, ....

My son had a problem with selling himself. He also thought it was lame. Fortunately for him he had an experience where he saw first hand what that did to his prospects. He had two interviews. The first one he barely made the cut because he didn't want to tell his story. He thought it was lame to do so. We talked. On the second one he moved from the bottom to the top. This wasn't for a job so it was not such a big deal but it was something he wanted. It was a good lesson.

One thing that isn't mentioned here is that the resume should lead to stories you can tell in the interview. It really helps if you have something to talk about. Scouts is an excellent source of stories.

"Boy Scout: Life Rank, Senior Patrol Leader"

Outside of Scouting, most folks have no idea what the terms "Life Rank" or "Senior Patrol Leader" mean.  I think this is why the Eagle Scout Project Workbook uses the term "Eagle Scout Candidate".  I think it would be acceptable to say Eagle Scout Candidate or Eagle Scout rank, anticipated winter 2018 (or something similar).  Most folks would understand both of these to mean that you are close to earning Eagle Scout rank, but haven't earned it yet.

This would be similar to applying for a job that requires a degree while you are still in college.  Something like: John Smith, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, expected June 2018.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
47 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

What MBs do you have left?  Get to work on them. The light is at the end of the tunnel.  If you don't have Personal Fitness or Personal Management, get to work on them immediately.  

Fitness and cycling.

Im only 15.

2 hours ago, Back Pack said:

The one I know of personally is Pharma, many of my clients are in that industry.

Certifications and degree acronyms are mostly seen after names in the quality assurance area, regulatory affairs, and some specialty sciences and research areas. 

2 hours ago, EmberMike said:

The one I know of personally is Pharma, many of my clients are in that industry.

Certifications and degree acronyms are mostly seen after names in the quality assurance area, regulatory affairs, and some specialty sciences and research areas. 

I’m in the med device industry and I’ve seen this with PMP (project management professional) and various nursing certifications (CNA, RN, etc.). However, I do agree some can go overboard.  Generally it’s a red flag if the characters in your degree and certification list exceed your name length. 😀

As far as eagle candidate on your resume I’d keep it to Life Scout for now.  At 15 that is a great accomplishment.  

• Upvote 2

Sometimes the use of degrees seems like the Scouting equivalent of knots. ;) 

Doctors I get. Pharmacists I get. Even lawyers I get. Professional certifications I get. But in general, if I see someone with "John Doe, BS, MBA" I think "Wow, look how many knots he has." In the consulting world it would just be saying "Look at me...I have an MBA." The irony is that most people do but don't put it down. 

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

No reason to not Eagle at 15. Both of my sons did.  My oldest had a great time as senior scout after he got his Eagle.

I’m aware, but just letting others know that I’m not rushing or anything.

• Upvote 1