“Eagle Scout Canidate” On Resume

I’m being told by my parents and other troop leaders that I should put “Eagle Scout Canidate” on my resume to present myself better. But, I don’t believe I’m a “Canidate” until I fill out the application, etc. 

I did my project, I am only two merit badges away. 

I wanted other scouters opinions on how they would feel if they saw it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there's still an opportunity to start a much better discussion than whether or not you'll become an eagle scout. If you were an SPL then talk about some skills you developed in that roll. Team

I would read: "Not an Eagle Scout."  And I was in charge of hiring for my department at the telephone company.   You have, I think, the correct instinct.  Don't stretch the truth.  It may le

Other than the obvious answer of not spelling Candidate as Canidate , I would not put it on my resume.  Would you put Life Scout candidate if you were a Star Scout?  You want your resume to reflect yo

I might be in a rather small minority in today's society, but I don't get all that worked up about someone's celebrity, political, or social status.  I much rather focus on a person's character and no amount of titles, stardom, accomplishments or position in life makes a bit of difference in how I may "judge" them. 

Just now, Pselb said:

I might be in a rather small minority in today's society, but I don't get all that worked up about someone's celebrity, political, or social status.  I much rather focus on a person's character and no amount of titles, stardom, accomplishments or position in life makes a bit of difference in how I may "judge" them. 

I think you are a small mintority haha, everyone judges each other now a days.

Of course they do, but they all judge on different dynamics about others.  I my case, I judge on character first, everything else is not as important.  At least to me anyway. 

For example, my son happens to like his den leader, so I'm okay with him participating.  Same for my daughters in their interest areas.  If any of them come to me with concerns about the people in their programs, the wife and I will steer them into other areas for them to get excited about.

Edited by Pselb

I would read: "Not an Eagle Scout."  And I was in charge of hiring for my department at the telephone company.

You have, I think, the correct instinct.  Don't stretch the truth.  It may lead to uncomfortable questions if you reach the interview stage.

• Upvote 2

Sounds odd to me. What exactly is an Eagle Scout Candidate? Is it like being a Parent Candidate? (i.e., pregnant).

But back on point, I've never heard the phrase before, so the guy looking at the resume likely hasn't either. Then it's just drawing their attention away from what's important. If you want to add something then add that you're a Boy Scout. Talk about leadership you've done and responsibility you've held. That would be more concrete than the mythical candidate.

• Upvote 2

Depends. If you are just awaiting your EBOR then put it on there. If you are still working on requirements then I wouldn’t put it on. I had my EBOR schedule in november 2016 but was filling out college applications so I put candidate on my applications and resume. IMHO you’re not really a candidate until you’ve done all the requirements and are just waiting for your BOR. Until then you’re a Life Scout. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TAHAWK said:

I would read: "Not an Eagle Scout."  And I was in charge of hiring for my department at the telephone company.

You have, I think, the correct instinct.  Don't stretch the truth.  It may lead to uncomfortable questions if you reach the interview stage.

50 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Your parents are obviously very proud of you, but don't count your Eagles until their pinned on your uni.   

"And this years nominees for best supporting cameraman's assistant cable puller are.... "

I told them the same exact thing as you all said.

I didn’t earn it yet, and I’m not exactly close so why would I put it?

• Upvote 1

1) Actively pursuing Eagle Scout rank

or...

2) Have pretty much completed all the requirements for Eagle Scout rank, though not all of them with the BSA, more life experience, and am waiting for all of them to be recognized so that the rank can be awarded

Honestly #2 may be a bit wordy

BTW...have seen the Eagle Scout candidate used numerous times, really it is up to you.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Pselb said:

:)  Every soldier is a candidate for the Medal of Honor, but I don't think they all put that down on their resume.

There’s a difference. An Eagle candidate is someone sitting for an EBOR. A presidential candidate is someone running for president. I wouldn’t say candidate unless you’re done and awaiting review. Otherwise I’ve had several people reviewing my resume or applications asking about my eagle status. I was happy to tell him them I made it. It made a difference since it spawned a question which lead to a great conversation. Got in to one school where this happened. Can’t say if the Eagle made a difference but it built a rapport with the interviewer. 

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

1) Actively pursuing Eagle Scout rank

or...

2) Have pretty much completed all the requirements for Eagle Scout rank, though not all of them with the BSA, more life experience, and am waiting for all of them to be recognized so that the rank can be awarded

Honestly #2 may be a bit wordy

Given the following:

"A candidate must be registered through the time he is completing requirements but need not be registered thereafter or when his board of review is conducted."

https://www.scouting.org/resources/guide-to-advancement/eagle-scout-rank/

"While working toward completion of the Eagle Scout service project, especially during the proposal approval process, a candidate has the right to expect the following:"

"An Eagle Scout candidate is to research and select a meaningful project, develop the idea, meet with adults, secure approvals, develop a plan, engage people to help carry out the plan, provide leadership, be accountable for the overall success of the project and — above all — complete the task at hand. This undertaking is most likely the biggest effort of a young Scout’s life."

https://scoutingmagazine.org/2017/08/help-scouts-make-eagle-scout-service-project-great/

"9.0.2.0 The Eagle Scout Service Project

While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community. "

it seems that an "Eagle Scout Candidate" is at least anyone who can affirmatively answer these questions:

1. Are you a Life Scout?

2. Are you a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America?

3. Is there time for you to complete the time-linked requirements for Eagle Scout (POR/active membership) before your 18th birthday?

4. Are you attempting to earn Eagle Scout?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TAHAWK said:

Given the following:

"A candidate must be registered through the time he is completing requirements but need not be registered thereafter or when his board of review is conducted."

"While working toward completion of the Eagle Scout service project, especially during the proposal approval process, a candidate has the right to expect the following:"

"An Eagle Scout candidate is to research and select a meaningful project, develop the idea, meet with adults, secure approvals, develop a plan, engage people to help carry out the plan, provide leadership, be accountable for the overall success of the project and — above all — complete the task at hand. This undertaking is most likely the biggest effort of a young Scout’s life."

https://scoutingmagazine.org/2017/08/help-scouts-make-eagle-scout-service-project-great/

"9.0.2.0 The Eagle Scout Service Project

While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community. "

it seems that an "Eagle Scout Candidate" is at least anyone who can affirmatively answer these questions:

1. Are you a Life Scout?

2. Are you a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America?

3. Is there time for you to complete the time-linked requirements for Eagle Scout (POR/active membership) before your 18th birthday?

4. Are you attempting to earn Eagle Scout?

Guess I’m a candidate. 

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Like 1