Intentionally producing or enhancing noises related to personal bodily functions in the presence of others is rude and inconsiderate. Its a reflection of one's character. Personally, I don't care to hear anyone cut loose a big one in any situation.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at the committee mtg.last night they heard from both sides voted 5-1 and decided to remain with their same decision and add it to the troop by-laws. A female (parent or leader) must have either another female or her husband on any "Troop only outings" excludes summer camp,Camporee,Scoutorama (district events) because other females would be there.

At the conclusion of this vote the affected family decided that they would be transferring their two scouts out of the troop, and suggested we let future parents aware of this rule before they join the troop.

The discenting committee person immediatly resigned from his position and would let his son decide if he wanted to transfer out.

Worried that rumours would start, people would get the wrong idea, boys need male role models what happens if she gets hur on an outing?

These were some of the items the committee was is concerned about.

The real shocker for me is that the COR feels this controversy is hurting the program and at last months Camporee was "embarassed for the troop because we didnt win anything" ,and the year previous we only won 1 ribbon"

Actually at the last camporee hardly anyone knew about this, it wasnt until the next troop meeting when everything broke loose.

It is always interesting to me when a person or group makes a decision, and then looks for reasons to support the decision; reasons that have nothing do to with arriving at the decision. They're too spineless to openly state the real reason for their decision, which appears to be they either don't like women, or they don't like this particular woman. Why not just tell her "we don't like you and don't want you on campouts."

Funny, most of the boys in our troop under 14 are smaller and weaker than the women. Perhaps we shouldn't let them go on outings.....they might get hurt. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having "den" meetings with the women leaders and doing some arts and crafts instead.

SMRon

In your first post you wrote.

"two other ASM's and 5 boys are talking about leaving this would be at least 1/4th of our Scouts"

Than you said a MC has resigned. What are the 2 (or is it 3 total) other ASM planning on doing? What are you planning on doing?

My point I am trying to make, is that if people vote with their feet, it may change the COR mind. Not, that I would go back to that unit.

Do all of the parents of the remaining scouts know this rule? I think they should.

The CO has the right to limit leaders, but the leaders also have rights to join different units or start a new unit.

Dan..

I have not spoken to the two other ASM's since the vote, what they have told me is that they would probably leave if the rule didnt get changed they would probably would leave taking 3 more scouts with them.

I'm really not sure what I plan on doing, In the process of working my tickets so I would at least finish that and probably talk to my son (Life rank) and see what his opinions were.

No, the other parents in the troop are not aware of this, in fact the one committee member who voted against it suggested and e-mail be sent out to everyone for a special meeting to get everyone's opinion on this but I don't remember exactly what the response was but there was no special meeting planned

Ron,

With all due respect. Are you yanking our Chain?

I have sat through hundreds and hundreds of meetings. But for the life of me I can't imagine anyone engaging in a dialog such as you describe.

I agree with NeiLup.

If I were a member of the troop and this was the rule I would have to resign.

Eamonn

SMRON,

It is really sad to see this come to pass, because the only ones that really lose are the boys. They have lost a leader who really thinks that Scouting is the great program that it is. She felt that way enough to get all the training she could and be as active as she could. I hope she finds another troop that welcomes her with open arms.

You said that the parents dont know of this, sounds like a parents meeting is in order. Then they can decide if this leader was treated unfairly and vote with their feet.

I feel that this will divide your troop for quite sometime if not cause it to fold. Petty politics, and lame excuses for policy made after the fact are inexcusable, unadult and above all childish. The CO, COR, CC and Committee it self should be told to take a good look in the mirror and ask themselves if their behavior was in keeping with the Scout Law, or if they would want their own daughters treated like this. I for one would hand over the SM patch and find or start another unit with departing leaders. I wont tolerate behavior like this from my scouts and would not want my son to learn it either.

Actually I have thought about starting up a new troop but not sure what's involved yesterday I thought about making a phone call to council to see what the procedure was but decided nto to make the call. This definetly has cut a wedge thru the troop it's kind afunny the people who don't go on the outings or camp have the problem the people who camp dont't...go figure..From what I hear now the CC is stepping down next month and her son (SPL is also quitting. The SPL's decided to quit before this controversy.

Having a parents meeting was mentioned but not acted upon, I wondered if I sent an e-mail out to everyone letting them know about the new rule added to the by-laws may be seen as un-scoutlike and just trying to stir it up some more. On a personal note I have decided to complete my tickets with the troop, finish the outings I committed to. My son said he would have no problem transferring to another local troop.

For information on starting a new troop, call your district executive. The requirements for starting a new troop are the same as the requirements for rechartering an old troop -- you need leadership and you need youth and a chartering organization.

I wouldn't recommmend that you call a parent's meeting. That's not a Scoutmaster decision to make.

What you decide to do is up to you, but a conversation with your district executive and/or unit commisisoner or district commissioner is definately in order.

Unc.