Streamlined Cub Scout Adventure Plans

I was a new Tiger DL this past October.  I went down and bought the Den Leader Guidebook and put it in a 3 ring binder and even took it to a few meetings.  I was sorry I wasted the money after I really looked at it.  On my own I determined I could plan my meeting and conduct just using the Addendum.  I wonder if who wrote the DL Guidebook has ever been around a room of 1st grade boys. 

• Upvote 2
  • 5 years later...

I know this is a super old thread but just wanted to say this is so helpful. We're a brand spanking new group of 14 kids and it's a mixed bag, only 4 of the kids are wolf and higher. Even though we meet nearly every week, we still have some time management issues with 14 kids (10 of them neurodivergent). I am fortunate that we have lots of adults willing to help out and a good chunk of parents willing to work on adventures at home as well. 

1 hour ago, forestcharm5 said:

I know this is a super old thread but just wanted to say this is so helpful. We're a brand spanking new group of 14 kids and it's a mixed bag, only 4 of the kids are wolf and higher. Even though we meet nearly every week, we still have some time management issues with 14 kids (10 of them neurodivergent). I am fortunate that we have lots of adults willing to help out and a good chunk of parents willing to work on adventures at home as well. 

Very nice of you to help all those kids. I hope you collect a lot of good memories.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 12:10 PM, forestcharm5 said:

It sounds like you're using the mixed-age plans - me too!

I would have probably been right there with the people saying we don't need to rush through everything if I were only working with one rank, but if you streamline two or more ranks then put them back together again, it starts to fill out again. 

We're mixing lions and tigers and there's no way we would have been able to pull off the shared leadership model if I didn't have these pre-made plans to hand the parent off the week. 

Streamlining also means we can get to electives sooner or have time for a swim party when our affiliated troops have the school pool rented for swim tests.  

We've had a trickle of registration all year, and lost two of the ones who registered back in August. The streamlined model means we're wrapping up our first pass through the required adventures with enough time to take another pass at the ones we did in the fall that most of the current kids missed.

I think I'll redo some of these for next year so that if an elective is a better match for another rank's required adventure, we'll do those together instead of trying to force two required ones together if they don't fit well, but I'm so grateful to south fulton for making these and giving me a solid place to start!