Girls still want to be girl scouts

8 hours ago, cocomax said:
A Scout is Helpful.
A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.
A Scout is Friendly.
A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.

We should not now consider the GSUSA to be our enemy, there has been a long history of Girl Scouts doing things with the Boy Scouts. The Girl Scouts in my area used to go to the Scout Summer Camp to do shooting sports.   I have seen Boy Scouts put on events for the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts used to be friends.  But I guess now we are expected to put them down to build up the BSA.  Sad.   

BSA is not being very scout like.

I personally could care a less, but I’m shocked BSA doesn’t want them only in BSA.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at these girls: http://epaper.bostonglobe.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=12c84660-0428-44b3-a64b-5d1232622bd8 That article make me want to join up as a Girl Scout leader,

In my opinion, BSA is greedy. By having them not have a dual membership will increase revenue by having more money spent on BSA. 

Sorry all, I didn’t mean that they were trying to interfere or “steal members” more like trying to gain money. Apologies to those that voted down. Mind doesn’t think late at night and early

6 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I personally could care a less, but I’m shocked BSA doesn’t want them only in BSA.

I’m not sure I understand why the BSA would want this.  To me, many girls may want to do both. How does maintaining their GSUSA membership harm BSA?   The girls joining our Pack would drop GSUSA membership if they had to choose, but I would never ask that of them.  

17 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I’m not sure I understand why the BSA would want this.  To me, many girls may want to do both. How does maintaining their GSUSA membership harm BSA?   The girls joining our Pack would drop GSUSA membership if they had to choose, but I would never ask that of them.  

In my opinion, BSA is greedy. By having them not have a dual membership will increase revenue by having more money spent on BSA. 

• Downvote 2

@ItsBrian ,  I have never heard of the BSA interfering with member involvement in any other youth organization. I have known scouts who were also members in 4-H, YMCA youth groups,  rifle teams, school outing clubs, Hugh O'Brian, Civil Air Patrol, ...

Anyone have any evidence to the contrary?

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I don't think "A Scout is Loyal" was ever meant to mean that someone had to be exclusively loyal to only one scouting organization. I know there are kids who are BSA members and also BPSA-US members.

What I would find shocking is that after so many years of not having an exclusive membership policy, that the BSA added one on to the books just for Girl Scouts. 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, cocomax said:

Look at these girls:

http://epaper.bostonglobe.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=12c84660-0428-44b3-a64b-5d1232622bd8

That article make me want to join up as a Girl Scout leader, maybe be a troop's outdoor expert.  

Looks fantastic to me, I have been reading about the Girl Scouts, they seem fantastic to me. There is a long list of outdoor thinks they can do. They are Girl lead, they have patrols.

Unlike Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts can run power tools, including chain saws. 

I am reading a lot of good things about Girl Scouts that they are actually doing better than the BSA. . .  

After reading this entire thread, and from being familiar with some of your posting history, I get the distinct impression that you are posting a topic that you don't believe in simply as a method to "rile up" the members of this board.

For example, you previously posted this:

And this:

I am calling shenanigans.

• Downvote 1
10 hours ago, cocomax said:

Yes, we are 

Yes, we are staying under 15. We have 9 girls right now.  We plan on sticking to the size limit of 15.

Our Boys Scouts just added 1 more boy last month and stands at 8 boys, in a few month we will be adding 3 cubs that will be crossing over.  I am excited to soon have enough boys in the troop to have two patrols again.

It seems like your advantage is a small community ... at the moment. Basically, you have a patrol of boys and a patrol of girls. My daughter's problem seemed to be that she was the 16th girl in any troop with regular outdoor activities. Thus, venturing. That said, for the other girls in my crew ...

11 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I’m shocked BSA is allowing them to have a dual membership between GSUSA and BSA

We had mostly dual registered (either with a GS/USA or BSA troop) in our crew. Council wide, it tended to be the GS/USA pros who were most vocal about the arrangement. The rank-and-file volunteers made it work with happy faces.

In general, I've always known BSA to encourage youth at every level to participate in other service/outdoor organizations as well as their troop/crew -- with the expectation that they bring back what they discovered to the unit.

11 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

What's frustrating to me is that the GSUSA is touting their "single-gender model" as being so superior, ...

Yeah, neither BSA or GSUSA have been fully clean.  Each behaves more like a cordial neighbor than helpful friends.  

3 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I have never seen the BSA or any unit try to restrict the non-BSA activities of its members or leaders.  As EmberMike pointed out, there are people who are members of both BSA and BPSA, which are directly competing organizations.  The same could theoretically be true for Trail Life, though I don't know whether there is anyone who actually is a member of both.

7 minutes ago, cocomax said:

As long as you pay your membership fee why would BSA care about anyone anyone being a member of another group?

Could you imagine how much BSA membership would drop if they did?

When they are losing so many people each year they can ill-afford to be picky about what other organizations their members belong to.

15 hours ago, cocomax said:

I am reading a lot of good things about Girl Scouts that they are actually doing better than the BSA. . .  

I read a lot of good things about the Girl Scouts too - I also read a lot of things about the Girl Scouts that show that many Evangelical Christian Conservatives are as upset with the Girl Scouts about certain issues as they are about the Boy Scouts (The BSA is dealing with Girls/Gays, the Girl Scouts are dealing with Planned Parenthood/Abortion). 

Like the BSA, the Girl Scouts are also struggling with declining membership, and has been pretty much at the same time as the BSA.  Between 2015 and 2017, they lost approximately 800,000 youth members.  In the BSA, the current youth membership is approximately 2.3 million, down from 2.6 million in 2013 which means the BSA lost approximately 300,000 members since 0213.  The membership numbers don't seem to back up the idea that the Girl Scouts are doing better than the Boy Scouts. 

1 hour ago, Hawkwin said:

After reading this entire thread, and from being familiar with some of your posting history, I get the distinct impression that you are posting a topic that you don't believe in simply as a method to "rile up" the members of this board.

My Star Wars comments are 100% true, I was a fan of Star Wars and now I am done with Star Wars.

You are on point and correct about my YMCA post, that was complete sarcasm.  I believe 100% that if Girls want their own club they should be allowed to and the same for Boys.  I am HAPPY that the GSUSA is a Girls only club,  my daughter is now a member.  I am bummed at the direction that BSA is taking.

So yes, calling shenanigans, on my YMCA is the correct thing to do. 

• Thanks 2