Girls still want to be girl scouts

Look at these girls:

http://epaper.bostonglobe.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=12c84660-0428-44b3-a64b-5d1232622bd8

That article make me want to join up as a Girl Scout leader, maybe be a troop's outdoor expert.  

Looks fantastic to me, I have been reading about the Girl Scouts, they seem fantastic to me. There is a long list of outdoor thinks they can do. They are Girl lead, they have patrols.

Unlike Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts can run power tools, including chain saws. 

I am reading a lot of good things about Girl Scouts that they are actually doing better than the BSA. . .  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at these girls: http://epaper.bostonglobe.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=12c84660-0428-44b3-a64b-5d1232622bd8 That article make me want to join up as a Girl Scout leader,

In my opinion, BSA is greedy. By having them not have a dual membership will increase revenue by having more money spent on BSA. 

Sorry all, I didn’t mean that they were trying to interfere or “steal members” more like trying to gain money. Apologies to those that voted down. Mind doesn’t think late at night and early

@cocomax, as long as you know how to fold a sit-upon, you'll do fine! 

There's a lotta love out there for GS/USA. I'm making plans to buy me some cookies from the great-nieces next week.

But, when a girl wants to camp once a month -- far from outlets and flushies most nights -- she'd better hope there's room for her in the one troop in twenty that will give it a go.

• Haha 1

My daughters Troop picked the summer camp “Diamonds and Pearls” where they get to put on a fashion show and pick out clothing for their councilor.  Troops in my area have divisions as some girls want the outdoor activities and others prefer more “traditional” girl interests... many trend to the cookies, STEAM and going to the mall as an outing.  A few do get outdoors a lot, but it really depends on the Troop leaders and what the majority of the girls want to do in the Troop. There is no camping requirement in GSUSA unlike BSA.

In my Pack, we are up to 10 girls with almost no advertising.  We have 70+ boys. Many are coming from GSUSA (including one GSUSA Troop leader).  While several are maintaining membership in both there is definitely a persevered difference in what we offer.  

10 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I’m shocked BSA is allowing them to have a dual membership between GSUSA and BSA

Why?  

I don’t think BSA would have any loyalty test or requirement (you can join both 4H and BSA).  For elementary school age girls, I don’t see it as an issue.  GSUSA Troops in my area typically meet right after school and our Pack and Dens meet later (so no overlap).

I doubt many will maintain both as they go into middle school and high school (too many activities).  About half the girls that joined are members of both organizations (or will be once we figure out how to switch on our family Pack setting).

All of this is still VERY early.  My primary point is that I wish the program and offerings mentioned in the article were more consistent and widely available, it is clear there are gaps by the girls that are joining my Pack.  

16 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I’m shocked BSA is allowing them to have a dual membership between GSUSA and BSA

A Scout is Helpful.
A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.
A Scout is Friendly.
A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.

We should not now consider the GSUSA to be our enemy, there has been a long history of Girl Scouts doing things with the Boy Scouts. The Girl Scouts in my area used to go to the Scout Summer Camp to do shooting sports.   I have seen Boy Scouts put on events for the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts used to be friends.  But I guess now we are expected to put them down to build up the BSA.  Sad.   

BSA is not being very scout like.

What's frustrating to me is that the GSUSA is touting their "single-gender model" as being so superior, while either ignoring or remaining ignorant of the fact that the BSA is not going co-ed, but rather creating a new, separate program for girls that will be distinct from their boy's program, despite the ranks and requirements being the same. One of the basic premises of their argument, that the single-gender model is better for development, is actually still being followed by the BSA, but they continue to put us down for straying from it, which isn't true.

I have read many articles lately from both the BSA and GSUSA sides, but I notice the trend is that the BSA seems to appear weak for capitulating to public opinion (certainly true if you ask me), while the GSUSA seems unduly vindictive in attacking their potential numbers loss to the BSA (their articles can be downright venomous in my area). 

The fact is, the BSA is going to have a new program for girls, while Cubs and Venturing will include girls in their programs as they are. So we might as well just try to get along with the GSUSA, because for the time being no amount of whining, criticizing or arguing is going to change anything. Both organizations will benefit from working together; neither will accomplish much spending its energy tearing the other down.

• Upvote 1

I live in the mountains, the girls and boys here love the outdoors. We have girls (sisters) that tagged along with our cub scouts and camped without the flushies or outlets, have been doing so for years. 

We had no Girl Scouts in our area, when presented with the idea of Co-Ed Cubs the reaction from the Cub parents and some cub leaders was. . .  okay. . .  we are forming an outdoor based Girl Scout Troop (GSUSA) ,  the girls will go camping, hiking, cook over camp fires, because that is what the girls have decided what they want to do.  The Girl Scout Troop after one month is already bigger than our Boy Scout Troop and Our Cub Scout  Pack, the Girls are very happy to have their own thing.  We have several families where brother is a Boy Scout and Sister is a Girl Scout.

The Girl Scout leaders of our Girl Scout troop are following two core rules. .. 

1. This is a girl lead troop, the girls decide what they want to do and we will help them make it happen. (They want to go hiking and camping)

2.  Have fun

Yes, we are 

6 minutes ago, qwazse said:

@cocomax, is your GS/USA troop sticking to the size limit of 15? Or are the bucking that "recommendation"?

Yes, we are staying under 15. We have 9 girls right now.  We plan on sticking to the size limit of 15.

Our Boys Scouts just added 1 more boy last month and stands at 8 boys, in a few month we will be adding 3 cubs that will be crossing over.  I am excited to soon have enough boys in the troop to have two patrols again. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, The Latin Scot said:

The fact is, the BSA is going to have a new program for girls, while Cubs and Venturing will include girls in their programs as they are. So we might as well just try to get along with the GSUSA, because for the time being no amount of whining, criticizing or arguing is going to change anything. Both organizations will benefit from working together; neither will accomplish much spending its energy tearing the other down.

I certainly hope that occurs; however, it will probably have to happen at the local level.  The problem I see coordinating with GSUSA is their structure.  We have 1 Pack to their 6 Troops at our school.  Those Troops rarely coordinate within our school let alone them coordinating with us.  In addition, several of the troops have their own internal drama with different factions of girls wanting different things.  That said, as a committee we have discussed coordinating more and may attempt this in the future.

I do wish the GSUSA attempted to partner with BSA instead of fighting as they have a good program and there are some great Troops and some good summer camps.  I think some of their leadership decided to fight to scare parents from considering to switch their girls away.  Your point about the articles regarding coed is spot on; however, the general public may not understand anyway and it is easier for newscasters to report coed.

We have attempted to emphasize the GSUSA  program when talking to parents. My daughter will remain in GSUSA unless she does not enjoy it and I no longer see the value (that hasn’t happened yet).  Beyond that, it is up to the parents and girls which program(s) they want to be a part of.

1 hour ago, cocomax said:
But I guess now we are expected to put them down to build up the BSA.  Sad.   

BSA is not being very scout like.

Hmmm.. what is your source from the BSA    that we are supposed to put them down?  I have only heard BSA talk up their program and never rip the GSUSA.  Even on the local level I have not seen any DE or council employee rip the GSUSA.  Yes, individual scouters will explain their experience but I’m wondering where this comment came from?  Was this in the same CNN interview where someone said who cares what the boys want?

• Upvote 1