Webelos can never meet any requirements for the Tenderfoot rank. They may study similar material, and may learn some of the same things, but a Cub Scout cannot complete Boy Scout rank requirements. Whatever work a Cub Scout completes will make it easier for him to complete the Boy Scout requirements, but he must still do the work as a Boy Scout. For example, a Webelos Scout may learn how to raise, lower, and fold the American flag. He does not get an automatic sign-off for a Tenderfoot rank requirement when he joins a troop. He must demonstrate that requirement as a Boy Scout.

I would think that someone or from the posts I have seen, a cople people, confused Scout Badge with Tenderfoot Rank. I'll bet the boys got the Scout Badge not Tenderfoot. Tenderfoot requirements are far more than what is covered in Webelos. In addition it requires A troop Board of Review and they will first need to earn the Scout Badge any way.

So I think the whole thing is a misunderstanding.

I should be clearer; I apologize. Many of the boys may have done the items in Scout and Tenderfoot, but they do not count until they do them as registered Boy Scouts. This makes it far easier to do those items again to earn the ranks fairly quickly. In Cubs, what they do does not count for Boy Scouts--sorry about my sloppy wording.

The same confusion seems to come up when a Cub earns the Arrow of Light award. Boy, parents, and den leader expect an automatic Scout badge when the boy joins the troop. I still want the boy to demonstrate the square knot, describe the Scout badge, etc. This should be easy, but the Scout requirements should still be demonstrated as a Scout.

Except for the unit Proud Eagle mentioned, I don't think anyone is suggesting that all a boy has to do is flash his AoL card and be handed a Scout or certainly not a Tenderfoot badge. The point is that a boy who knows the AoL material has the ability to complete the Scout and Tenderfoot requirements in short order. The requirements for Scout can be covered in a short Scoutmaster conference (which itself is part of the requirements.) With the exception of the 30-day fitness test, a campout and meal, an AoL Scout should be able to similarly complete all the other Tenderfoot requirements.

What's important here is that the troop needs to be prepared to receive the new Scouts and get them on the advancement trail ASAP. If the pack has done its job, the new Scouts should be ready and excited to join the troop. I can't think of any bigger wet blanket a troop could drop on a new Scout than to shovel him a bunch of bureaucratic gobbledygook about showing one guy the square knot, describing the Scout badge to someone else and then signing up for a SM conference three weeks from now.

In what seems like decades ago (because it was), when I received by Webelos badge in a ceremony in the school auditorium, I walked to the other side of the auditorium, where the Scoutmaster of the Tropp associated with the school was waiting, with the Troop. Mr Sevenoaks (I still think that is a great name for a Scoutmaster) asked each of us a few questions, and then gave us the Scout(?) badge and welcomed us into the troop.

My son crossed over last Friday, and when he and his three buddies walked over the bridge, the Scoutmaster gave each a Troop hat, Troop neckerchief, Boy Scout neckerchief slide and red loops (the Pack gave them the Handbook and a Scout Stave).

At his first Troop meeting Tuesday, the whole troop welcomed all four boys, and then they started in on Tenderfoot physicial fitness training.

Not every boy turned in the application or medical form or completed the pamphlet exercises, so the Scoutmaster may be waiting until one of the next Troop meetings to award the seven new Boy Scouts (three from another Pack) their Scout badge.

I am probably one of the few "new" Boy Scout parents that knows about the Scout badge.

I would guess that the other parents would characterize their sons as working on Tenderfoot, since that what their new PL told them they were working on - Tenderfoot fitness requirement 10a - quarter mile walk/run and long jump.

An honest mistake.

TwoCub,

Amen, brother. We have 5 AOL'ers who crossed over back in February. There was another one who crossed over back in November. The one from Nov has his Scout badge, but none of the others do. He also has been persuing his Tenderfoot but keeps being put off. This troop had not done any recruitment to speak of in the last several years. Some of the older boys are within a few months of aging out. It now appears that the boys and the leadership wanted to focus on the boys they had and nothing else. I recently found out that there was disagreement last Fall when Webelos Woods rolled around on whether or not they would participate. They didn't want to take a bunch of little kids camping. In fact, the SPL's mom who is on the committee voted against it. She was outvoted. Funny thing is, her son the SPL didn't make that campout. Neither did the ASPL. The new boys started out for a meeting or two with the ASPL acting as a Troop Guide to teach them what they needed to know. That was in February. Nothing since then. Needless to say, all of us "new" folks have decided to start a new troop since we don't seem to be wanted in the troop. Their loss! They are losing our six boys plus at least 3 more who joined the troop in the past year and one that my son just recruited. They will also lose 5 Wood Badge trained leaders of which 4 are Unit Commisioners and 3 are District Trainers and 2 are 2005 Jamboree ASM's. We think we can put together a dandy little troop.