Eagle Scout Application Filing Fee

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Troop would pay the fee - and end all participation in Friends of Scouting.

I am already having challenges with national's new fee. Charge my son for his Eagle application, and you can kiss not only FOS, but all participation in district/council level activities, except for f

That sub reddit is wrong. I am IN Orange County Council, and if you read my post earlier in this thread, you will see there is no such fee being charged here.

Posted Images

be assessing a filing fee for Eagle Scout applications. The fee will be $120 with applications to defray the costs to the council to file. The logistics are being worked out as to who will be collecting. You will be receiving the Eagle Scout gift set with this fee.

Now that I'm finished rolling my eyes...

26 minutes ago, hikeoholic said:

The fee will be $120 with applications to defray the costs to the council to file.

"To fiule"  To file what? "File" has several meanings.  If they mean to send the application to National, it does not cost $120 (but see below) to scan two pages and email them.  Or do they literally mean "file" them as in a file cabinet?  That is some pretty expensive file-drawer space right there.

26 minutes ago, hikeoholic said:

You will be receiving the Eagle Scout gift set with this fee.

That actually makes this a little less outrageous.  I forget what we pay for the kit.  So this fee is really $120 minus the regular cost of the kit.

Better not come to my Council :laugh:

I feel like those with little income will have trouble if this spreads to other councils. I have around 5 scouts in my troop that depend on financial assistance. If they can’t always afford summer camp, how will they afford 100+ dollars in obtaining a RANK?

Edited by ItsBrian

At the Council level the  registrar validates that the MBs are in the system and that the rank dates matchup, but shouldn’t take but a few minutes. Then files the signed EBoR form. The rest is done by volunteers. 

The cynic in me say the throwing a outrageous figure, so they can look good when the lower it to what the think it cost them. 

The sad thing is this will make it more difficult for kids, particularly those  living in depressed urban and rural areas, to obtain their Eagle. 

Im not a fan, the Council needs to find another way.

You guys are thinking about this all wrong.   Finally, a council has found the solution to all of their financial woes.  However, they haven’t gone far enough.  Each year they should auction off 15 Eagle Scout rank advancements to the highest bidder.  I bet some desperate parents would fork over $1k each. Could you imagine what the first female Eagle Scout would go for if Nationals took this idea?  I’m thinking six figures.   You could sell lower ranks and other advancements as well, MBs, Eagle Projects, etc.  $120 for Eagle is a bargain... 

But seriously... I have a real problem with this.  These scouts have put in the work and I’m sure have spent countless time and money on various activities to get that point.  The council should find another way to pay for this...

Edited by Eagle1993
  • Upvote 1