Eagle Scout and "Scouts for Equality" founder runs for Senate

1 hour ago, walk in the woods said:

The district contains Iowa City and the U of I.  It's a blue district.  It will be interesting to see if Mr. Wahl's can consolidate the young vote.  One of the linked articles mentioned the only other declared candidate is a career diplomat (http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/local/2017/12/21/zach-wahls-announces-bid-dvorskys-iowa-senate-seat/973866001/).  

Just based on the articles, it looks to me like the kid has a shot at this.  His primary opponent's only electoral experience is losing a race for school board.  One might also question whether, being a diplomat stationed all over the world, she had much of an opportunity to become well-known in her own district.  In my experience (in NJ) there is a fairly well-worn path to becoming a state senator:  Local council member, mayor, usually a seat on the county board of freeholders (county legislature), usually a state Assembly seat, and then you run for state Senator.  Neither of these people have done any of this.  (I do realize things might be different in Iowa.)  It also appears that Wahls got an endorsement (and was recruited by) a prominent local politician who decided not to run for the seat himself.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I predict this thread will not go well.....

You're saying that I should look at my own beliefs...not "politics"...but rather my beliefs. Your beliefs are right and mine are wrong...? That seems to be what you're saying. I know the dif

Congratulations to Zach on his Iowa state senate win. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his politics, it's great to see an Eagle Scout rising in public service.

On 1/22/2018 at 11:15 AM, NJCubScouter said:

Good luck to him.

26 is a little young to be elected to a state legislature, but not unheard of.  I know we have had people younger than that be elected to county-wide office.  And my town just elected an 18-year-old to the school board, which obviously is not on the same level as the state legislature, but it's still quite an accomplishment.

politics aside,  I would love to see the age of Congress start shifting back to younger ages.  When the founders wrote COTUS, they put 25 and 30 (house/senate) in there for a reason.  Might be time to start exercising those ages and move the 60 and 70 year olds out. 

As an aside, here's a list of the youngest people in congress:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest_members_of_the_United_States_Congress

14 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

politics aside,  I would love to see the age of Congress start shifting back to younger ages.  When the founders wrote COTUS, they put 25 and 30 (house/senate) in there for a reason.  Might be time to start exercising those ages and move the 60 and 70 year olds out. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest_members_of_the_United_States_Congress

and have a better cross section of people. there are plenty of lawyers, and businesspeople but not enough farmers, plumbers, or teachers.

• Upvote 1
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, SSF said:

You're saying that I should look at my own beliefs...not "politics"...but rather my beliefs.

Your beliefs are right and mine are wrong...? That seems to be what you're saying.

I know the difference between right and wrong, morality vs. immorality and that, in the sad state of the world that we live in today, common sense, traditional values and truth take a back seat to sensitivity, political correctness and the social justice drivel that's undermining our society.

This Iowa guy is part of the problem, not the solution. That's my belief.

You can have yours. I'll have mine.

Nah, I'm not saying you are right or wrong.  And you do make a good point that our politics are tied in to our beliefs.

I'm just saying it isn't his politics that led you to your conclusion - it is your politics that have done so.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

I think that's a good point, and that's an interesting article, but I am disturbed by your implication about people who are 60, which I will be in several days.  :)

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I think that's a good point, and that's an interesting article, but I am disturbed by your implication about people who are 60, which I will be in several days.  :)

No implication made. :)  Just that in a representative government, there should be a wider range of ages doing the representing. :) 

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Just based on the articles, it looks to me like the kid has a shot at this.  

He's 26. If that's a kid, than I'm an adolescent still. I guess I want them Eagle Palms I never finished if I'm still a child. :p

All joking aside, I get that "kid" is a way to refer to younger adults. But at 24, I'm out of my parents house, undergrad is done, working, paying all my own bills. Definitely not a "kid" anymore and I doubt Zach Wahls is either. 

3 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

He's 26. If that's a kid, than I'm an adolescent still. I guess I want them Eagle Palms I never finished if I'm still a child. :p

All joking aside, I get that "kid" is a way to refer to younger adults. But at 24, I'm out of my parents house, undergrad is done, working, paying all my own bills. Definitely not a "kid" anymore and I doubt Zach Wahls is either. 

No offense meant, I can assure you.  I sometimes do refer to people in their 20's as "kids," but I probably should not do so outside of my own family, in which it is intended as a term of endearment.  :) My children range in age from 26 to 35, none living at home, all working, all have been married (one now divorced), one with a child and one with a step-child... and I still call them "kids" every now and then.  It's all a matter of perspective I guess, a perspective you may share when you are 59-going-on-60 years old.  Last night I attended a school board meeting in which the board was honoring the "teacher of the year" nominees from each school, and I realized that about half of the nominees looked younger than my youngest child, and about 75% looked younger than my oldest child.  The milestones keep piling up.

But you make a good point and from now I will (try to) refrain from using that or similar terms for adults who I don't know personally.

43 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

No offense meant, I can assure you.  I sometimes do refer to people in their 20's as "kids," but I probably should not do so outside of my own family, in which it is intended as a term of endearment.  :) My children range in age from 26 to 35, none living at home, all working, all have been married (one now divorced), one with a child and one with a step-child... and I still call them "kids" every now and then.  It's all a matter of perspective I guess, a perspective you may share when you are 59-going-on-60 years old.  Last night I attended a school board meeting in which the board was honoring the "teacher of the year" nominees from each school, and I realized that about half of the nominees looked younger than my youngest child, and about 75% looked younger than my oldest child.  The milestones keep piling up.

But you make a good point and from now I will (try to) refrain from using that or similar terms for adults who I don't know personally.

No offense taken. Although I have seen this interesting article floating around: 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/01/19/adulthood-now-begins-24-say-scientists-young-people-delay-work/

1 hour ago, Sentinel947 said:

In politics, he's a kid. In pro football, he'd be middle-aged. A female gymnast at age 26 is old and retired. :laugh: It's all a matter of context. 

On 1/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, Sentinel947 said:

On the other hand, and no offense meant, at 24, you can still legally be on your parents health insurance (and Zach can be too for at least a few more months - whenever his birthday is) so maybe you are both still "kids"  ;)

14 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

On the other hand, and no offense meant, at 24, you can still legally be on your parents health insurance (and Zach can be too for at least a few more months - whenever his birthday is) so maybe you are both still "kids"  ;)

Thanks Obama!

I was on my own insurance last year, but I changed jobs and my current company doesn't offer health insurance. So I am back on the folks insurance for now. 

• 9 months later...