Rank Advancement & Service Hours

We have a Scout who requested a SMC for the rank of 2nd class. He has participated in one service project with 4 hours of service in an approved event in 2016. The Scout applied 1 hour of that project towards his rank of Tenderfoot. 

Tenderfoot: 7b. Participate in a total of one hour of service in one or more service projects approved by your Scoutmaster[1]. Explain how your service to others relates to the Scout slogan and Scout motto.

Second Class: 8e. Participate in two hours of service through one or more service projects approved by your Scoutmaster.[1] Explain how your service to others relates to the Scout Oath.

The questions is, does the Scout still have 3 hours left to apply as he desires? Or should a scout participate in one service project for each rank?

There are several things you have to look at:

Note under Scout rank requirements: The requirements for the Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks may be worked on simultaneously;
however, these ranks must be earned in sequence.

Tenderfoot: 7b. Participate in a total of one hour of service in one or more service projects approved by your Scoutmaster. Explain how your service to others relates to the Scout slogan and Scout motto.

Second Class: 8e. Participate in two hours of service through one or more service projects approved by your Scoutmaster. Tell how your service to others relates to the Scout Oath.

First Class: 9d. Participate in three hours of service through one or more service projects approved by your Scoutmaster. The project(s) must not be the same service project(s) used for Tenderfoot requirement 7b and Second Class requirement 8e. Explain how your service to others relates to the Scout Law.

So, 2 hours could be applied towards his Second Class rank requirement, but the remaining hour cannot be applied to the First Class rank requirement.  Depending on the type of service, that hour could potentially be applied towards something else (for example: the Boy Scout World Conservation Award).

Edited by Thunderbird

Wait a minute! You are telling me that this scout did nothing in the way of service in all of 2017? What kind of scout does no service approvable by an SM for an entire year? A one-minute good turn per day would net 6 hours in 12 months!

I'm hoping you mistyped the year of service. If this was a service half-day that the scout did in October, he was awarded Tenderfoot in November, and mastered his Second Class skills in December, I'd count what you have on the books.

If not, I'd look a little more deeply as to what the scout's been doing and see if there were contributions that really would have counted, but the boy just didn't think to keep track of them. The reason that so few hours of service are asked for is that the general expectation is that these ranks don't take a lot of time.

<insert standard rant about the general moral depravity of counting service hours>

Edited by qwazse
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, qwazse said:

Wait a minute! You are telling me that this scout did nothing in the way of service in all of 2017? What kind of scout does no service approvable by an SM for an entire year? A one-minute good turn per day would net 6 hours in 12 months!

I'm hoping you mistyped the year of service. If this was a service half-day that the scout did in October, he was awarded Tenderfoot in November, and mastered his Second Class skills in December, I'd count what you have on the books.

If not, I'd look a little more deeply as to what the scout's been doing and see if there were contributions that really would have counted, but the boy just didn't think to keep track of them. The reason that so few hours of service are asked for is that the general expectation is that these ranks don't take a lot of time.

<insert standard rant about the general moral depravity of counting service hours>

Not a typo. As much as all of the Adults think that we have a very high functioning troop, when you get down to a granular level, there are a lot of things that need to be fixed. When I took over, last month, we had 22 first year Scouts that had not earned the rank of Scout. Yes, 10 months, and no rank. 

Thank you all very much for your help

I suggest talking to your CO and asking if you can help them. I’m sure they always need something done.

example: Our CO is a American Legion Post, and whenever they go to veteran homes we always come and aide. So 4 times a year x 4 hours about each = 16 hours not including our other projects.

Its so simple to find community service projects, but I don’t believe that a new scout should need the responbility of finding hours right now. 

• Upvote 1