Buzzfeed - CSE Surbaugh - Girls - Scouter.com

Remember the BSA "spokesman" who, during one of the suits by atheists,  explained "A Scout is ...Reverent" in terms of talking to trees.  That was pretty far from the party line, even taking Buddhism into account.  "Professionals."

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same reporter broke the news of the Girl Scout letter back to the BSA.   She has a source.  What I learned is that BSa leadership are clearly struggling with how to create a Boy Scout level p

Boy did I ever derail this thread. Back on topic, my daughter earned her Bobcat last night.

But no one says a thing when girls don't want boys in their club house. Then it is a safe space and empowering. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

This is absolutely correct; in fact, for many decades Scouts were supposed to wear the neckerchief over the collar with the collar tucked under. Allowing them to tuck the necker under is the more recent option, but as @HelpfulTracks has pointed out, both are entirely permitted.

Yes, the whole tucking the collar in is why I really miss the collarless shirts. I loved the old OD green uniforms with no collar. But I believe I was in the minority. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Would you mind providing a link to that?

Working on it. The FB page is TALK ABOUT SCOUTING!.

Lori McGraw is the committee member and stated  "National is considering continuing the pack Family Scouting model to troops. Continuing the Family Scouting model into troops makes sense. The Family Scouting Model for packs is the CO's choice : All Girl Pack, All Boy Pack, or Family Pack (boys and girls in separate dens) 
So Troop model would be : All Girl Troop, All Boy Troop, Family Troop (Girls and boys in separate patrols) . 
There should be a decision out on it soon (possibly this month). 
You may chime in at Family.Scouting@Scouting.org"

On 03/02/2018 at 7:44 AM, gblotter said:

I have no problem with vintage headwear. Our troop has adopted the garrison hat. It took no arm-twisting from me - the boys proudly wear it because it sets them apart. Everyone at camp recognizes immediately who we are.

VintageHats.jpg

I love the hats, just can't find one big enough for my head

• Like 1
15 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Yes, the whole tucking the collar in is why I really miss the collarless shirts. I loved the old OD green uniforms with no collar. But I believe I was in the minority. 

I must have been in the minority also.  The collarless shirt made wearing the neckerchief so much more comfortable, rather than tucking the collar.  My current unit does not opt to wear a neckerchief though, so a moot point for me.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

Still have my garrison cap that the troop wore just before converting to the red beret.  Unfortunately the beret has long since vanished.

54 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

Those garrison hats are sized incredibly small. Even our youngest Scouts wear a size large.

Folks in this century just have bigger skulls.

8C2DB1EB-184F-4AF7-88EC-90A17B5B0E27.jpeg

Edited by gblotter
6 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

You may chime in at Family.Scouting@Scouting.org

That’s a good one. National does not care what I or anyone else thinks about this topic. Why would they suddenly start now? They will ram through whatever stupid decision they come up with, and then claim everyone is asking for this and they are just responding to popular demand. They will lie and manipulate as they always have.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, gblotter said:

Those garrison hats are sized incredibly small. Even our youngest Scouts wear a size large.

Aw ... I am 34 years old and I still wear a small. Now I feel ridiculous. :laugh:

My Dad wears a garrison hat though; he's a Wolf Den Leader and the boys love it. Between his garrison and my campaign hat, we're pretty well covered in my home! Now we just need to find my mom a good lady's hat that doesn't make her "look like an airline stewardess." ;)

On 1/21/2018 at 4:25 PM, Thunderbird said:

The girls are in separate dens in family packs, correct?  If your son's den is ready to crossover to a troop in December, why should they be held back if the girl's program (whatever it's going to be called) isn't ready by then?  Just let the boy's den crossover when it's ready, and the girl's den might crossover later.

A lot of girl's dens will probably need more time anyway, especially if most 5th grade girls don't join until August-September.  They wouldn't meet the 6-month tenure requirement until February-March.

But most packs have an elaborate event for rank advancement and crossover, while some combine it with B&G.  Most packs have a tradition on how they handle this every single year....this throws a wrench in tradition for the packs, and everyone on top should know it.  I don't think its unreasonable to wait until 2019 but it has to be in place right after 1/1/2019!  If for nothing else, the troop needs to be organized prior to accepting new scouts.

Was there a time when neckerchief-over-the-collar was the rule? Maybe back when neckers were larger and thus the size made under-collar more difficult? 

I kind of wish we went back to the larger size neckers. And wore them more without the uniform, like a lot of non-US orgs do. We had a boy at camp recently wearing his neckerchief over a t-shirt. I'm keeping hope alive that maybe this could catch on. :)

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, FireStone said:

We had a boy at camp recently wearing his neckerchief over a t-shirt. I'm keeping hope alive that maybe this could catch on. :)

It’s a great look - I agree. Wonder if my SPL would go for it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JustAScoutMom said:

But most packs have an elaborate event for rank advancement and crossover, while some combine it with B&G.  Most packs have a tradition on how they handle this every single year....this throws a wrench in tradition for the packs, and everyone on top should know it.  I don't think its unreasonable to wait until 2019 but it has to be in place right after 1/1/2019!  If for nothing else, the troop needs to be organized prior to accepting new scouts.

Personally, I think a lot of packs could stand to tone down their "elaborate events" - they become almost like wedding receptions what with all the pomp and money thrown into them. I think that learning to simplify things and creating a more modest approach to rank advancement at the Cub level is an important lesson for many packs. Yes, we should be celebrating achievement and advancement - I always do with my den - but it should be to a degree that's appropriate to their age and accomplishment. The grand advancement ceremonies and Blue and Gold banquets with the huge costs and extravagant decorations are too much if you ask me. In my opinion, being compelled to simplify can only be a good thing.

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, FireStone said:

Was there a time when neckerchief-over-the-collar was the rule? Maybe back when neckers were larger and thus the size made under-collar more difficult? 

I kind of wish we went back to the larger size neckers. And wore them more without the uniform, like a lot of non-US orgs do. We had a boy at camp recently wearing his neckerchief over a t-shirt. I'm keeping hope alive that maybe this could catch on. :)

Yes, if you look at materials from the 20's and 30's, it was expected of boys to wear their neckerchiefs over the collar, a look I very much enjoy. 

When I take my boys on service projects or especially rigorous outdoor activities, I only require them to wear the necker so that they can be recognized as Scouts. At this point I have emphasized the appropriateness of this option so often that most of the boys in our pack and troop can quote with a degree of precision the exeprt from the guide to uniforms and insignia regarding the appropriate wearing of the neckerchief without the rest of the uniform. :laugh:

EDIT: I am including this link to a webpage I found extremely educational regarding neckerchief wear; it isn't official BSA material, but I found it authoritative enough in its own right. 

http://inquiry.net/uniforms/neckerchief/swn1.htm

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, gblotter said:

Folks in this century just have bigger skulls.

8C2DB1EB-184F-4AF7-88EC-90A17B5B0E27.jpeg

At least far too many so called star of sports and the entertainment industry, as well as, unfortunately, many pols in positions of power.