Jump to content
RememberSchiff

Buzzfeed - CSE Surbaugh - Girls - Scouter.com

Recommended Posts

I am always skeptical of news sources, some more than others.  A recent Buzzfeed article details an Surbaugh Jan 9, email to scout executives which Buzzfeed claims to have seen  and spills the contents.

How truthful that article is, I do not know, but keep a look-out for this alleged Jan 9 email. @Eagle94-A1

The article does mention Scouter.com. :o, maybe someday we will be mentioned by the BBC or NYT.

Surbaugh said the proposed survey question was a "mistake" and apologized for causing "distress" to members by the mere suggestion of coed scouting — words he said were "toxic" to many scouters.

He said that he had stopped the survey from going out to members because "there are those (not just on Scouter.com) that really dislike our leadership and will say, 'See, we told you so. They LIED to us, they just want co-ed scouting, and this is a sleazy, back door way to show that’s what some people want so they can push their agenda forward.'"

He added that the proposed idea would also make BSA staff "feel foolish" for defending the organization from accusations of coed scouting.

Edited by RememberSchiff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as you may want to believe the content of this article, Buzzfeed's veracity and journalistic integrity is seriously in doubt.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These quotes (if accurate) fill me with confidence

     "What will we recommend?" Surbaugh wrote. "Frankly, I'm not sure."

     "And, don’t even get me started on all the abuse I get from those who don’t like any of this because it’s not fully co-ed," Surbaugh wrote.

     "Any miscellaneous garbage that comes out of this office will 'face the wrath of the dark side of the force,''' he wrote.

Also...the "family" things rears it's ugly head again

     gave an option for members to choose a "family troop" that would contain both all-boy patrols and all-girl patrols.

This pretty much sums it up...

     However, Surbaugh's email suggests that the board is still unclear about the "philosophy and program design" for welcoming older girls in Boy Scouts troops.

Train is rolling down the tracks, the conductor has no idea where it will stop or how it got in this set of track, no idea where the stations are, and sadly no idea where the passengers are hoping to go

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

 

He said that he had stopped the survey from going out to members because "there are those (not just on Scouter.com) that really dislike our leadership and will say, 'See, we told you so. They LIED to us, they just want co-ed scouting, and this is a sleazy, back door way to show that’s what some people want so they can push their agenda forward.'"

 

Wow. I don't trust Buzzfeed much, but if this is true. That being said, I honestly think it's fake. The grammar and word choice seem very off for a Corporate executive, even in an informal email. Buzzfeed is clickbait journalism. It was "fake news" before there was fake news. 

If this is true, it's greatly discouraging. 

I've edited this post so there are less "quotes from BSA members" to be put in a "BSA members aghast at CSE email."

 

Edited by Sentinel947
Avoidng predatory reporting
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Wow. I don't trust Buzzfeed much, but if this is true. That being said, I honestly think it's fake. The grammar and word choice seem very off for a Corporate executive, even in an informal email. Buzzfeed is clickbait journalism. It was "fake news" before there was fake news. 

With that being said my thoughts on the article as if it's true:

Agree, consider the source and that it reads like fake news, but I was surprised the article gave a specific date for the email - Jan 9.  An email snipe hunt is on over the internet. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buzzfeed was founded as a social media story aggregator to track viral social media  stuff. It’s like a blog of trending hashtag-like stories. It wasn’t meant to be journalistic until they brought over the guy from Politico. That’s another source of dubious integrity. No one I know trusts any single source. We’ve been taught to read both sides and try to find the truth in the middle. There are no independent news sources anymore. 

Edited by Back Pack
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fake? Real? Tough to say. Why would someone fake this? It's not exactly favorably worded towards the new girls programs, so one would have to assume if this is a fake email that it originated from someone who wants us to believe there is confusion and chaos around crafting the girls programs. It that's the case, why not just go all the way with it and word it to suggest that Surbaugh thinks this was all a mistake? That would have been more effective, I think. 

That said, there is a lot in there to suggest this may be an authentic email. During the fall announcement, myself and others suggested that this all seemed rushed and poorly thought-out. As much as I was (and still am) in favor of increased inclusion of girls in the BSA, it was disappointing that there was not much thought given to mapping out how this would all work. This email makes it sound like those concerns were valid, and that the problems around this could be very real. 

It also sounds like Surbaugh is trying to come out of this without anyone disliking him. That's impossible. He needs to decide what's important and make bold decisions to get there. If that's co-ed scouting, then do it. If he maybe does think this was a mistake and wants to back off of it, then do that. He eneds to stop with the "let's make everyone happy" idea, though. 

And please, please, please, Mike, don't invoke POTUS and talk about "winning". :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

Why would someone fake this? It's not exactly favorably worded towards the new girls programs

As it pertains to fake news, pro vs con is irrelevant. "Eyeballs" is all that matters and so far, it has succeeded in that goal.

I don't know if it is fake or not but it is loaded with enough drama that regardless of your opinion of the changes, it is likely to be clicked on and read.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, EmberMike said:

It also sounds like Surbaugh is trying to come out of this without anyone disliking him. That's impossible. He needs to decide what's important and make bold decisions to get there. If that's co-ed scouting, then do it. If he maybe does think this was a mistake and wants to back off of it, then do that. He eneds to stop with the "let's make everyone happy" idea, though. 

 

This.  Absolutely.  A bit of decisive leadership would be refreshing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading the articles some of the comments seem like it was paraphrased from discourse on Scouter.com. That said I suspect IF there is a 'rambling' email it WILL get out. (I doubt anyone outside this Forum will care that much) The President of the United States cannot stop leaks so why the BSA CSE. 

I agree that Surbaugh keeps trying to please all people...not possible. It is (predictably) becoming a mess and a preventable one at that.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

After reading the articles some of the comments seem like it was paraphrased from discourse on Scouter.com. That said I suspect IF there is a 'rambling' email it WILL get out. (I doubt anyone outside this Forum will care that much) The President of the United States cannot stop leaks so why the BSA CSE. 

I agree that Surbaugh keeps trying to please all people...not possible. It is (predictably) becoming a mess and a preventable one at that.

 

I think so as well. Many online journalistic outlets will use "unnamed sources" when they are talking about stuff they saw on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter or other message boards. If there is an email how come Miss Nashrulla did not quote it in it's entirety in her article?

Edited by Sentinel947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chisos said:

This.  Absolutely.  A bit of decisive leadership would be refreshing.

Ironic since BSA touts itself as "the best youth leadership program in the country" (if not the world)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

I think so as well. Many online journalistic outlets will use "unnamed sources" when they are talking about stuff they saw on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter or other message boards. If there is an email how come Miss Nashrulla did not quote it in it's entirety in her article?

We will find out one way or another. The employee videos and upper level discussions eventually made their way here. I would think some more disclosures are inevitable as BSA has to move forward with planning and dissemination. It will take a lot of organizational discipline to control the pacing of information because of social media. I think for example in the case of a retro-active approval of girls prior service (ala Ms. Ireland) folks wanting to take credit for that 'victory' will outrace BSA National and, possibly, once again force them to make a PR announcement before prepping the rank and file. That's my speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×