Buzzfeed - CSE Surbaugh - Girls - Scouter.com

53 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

She may need to be cognizant of that and realize that contrary to PT Barnum's input "There's no such thing as bad publicity" is not always true.

She is learning from her father (Gary) as evidenced by the continuous interview photo op cycle.

In the end, she's just a kid. The SM, ASMs and committee members in her "unofficial" troop in NY are the folks who deserve blame for continuing this nonsense of "unofficially" earning MB and ranks. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same reporter broke the news of the Girl Scout letter back to the BSA.   She has a source.  What I learned is that BSa leadership are clearly struggling with how to create a Boy Scout level p

Boy did I ever derail this thread. Back on topic, my daughter earned her Bobcat last night.

But no one says a thing when girls don't want boys in their club house. Then it is a safe space and empowering. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Just listened to the “pantsuit nation” podcast with Sydney Ireland as the guest.  The striking inconsistency of the argument presented that BSA must tear down this patriarchal program while maintaining Girl Scout are great for girls is blatant.  I warn you not to go searching for the podcast....

In the name of complete disclosure.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cadence13/pantsuit-nation-podcast/e/52933039

3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Adding a new girls program will be massive and they will need some groups to work out the bugs to be ready for 2019 Feb/March crossover.

Don't you mean December/January 2018, the earliest the 4th grade female Webelos who are "early adopters" can cross over?

13 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Don't you mean December/January 2018, the earliest the 4th grade female Webelos who are "early adopters" can cross over?

True... but I’m thinking more about the widespread rollout from Packs.  There will definitely be some need late this year.  

4 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

In the name of complete disclosure.

Thanks for the link.

After listening to that (the host commentary I could do without), I came away with the impression that here was a young person that dedicated themself to the ideals of scouts, both boy and cub, and for which they did all the work without any of the official recognition, and now that they can become an official member, they would also like the opportunity to earn the highest award - not someone that joined up long ago to ONLY get the highest award - it was never just about Eagle, it just became also about Eagle.

Up until a few months ago, this person had done everything up through First Class without any official recognition or any idea that they would ever receive official recognition. If there was anyone that could say that they did scouts for the journey and the experience and not the swag, it would be her.

If anything, I gained more respect for her, not less.

@Hawkwin, you forgot to add that she is a habitual rule breaker who deliberately and consistently flaunts that she is breaking the rules. Oh, and that she has been enabled since she was 5 or whatever by adult leaders who deliberately and consistently ignored BSA bylaws, and then had the sheer audacity to submit membership and advancement paperwork for her to their council, which they knew would be rejected.

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

@Hawkwin, you forgot to add that she is a habitual rule breaker who deliberately and consistently flaunts that she is breaking the rules. Oh, and that she has been enabled since she was 5 or whatever by adult leaders who deliberately and consistently ignored BSA bylaws, and then had the sheer audacity to submit membership and advancement paperwork for her to their council, which they knew would be rejected.

Or, maybe BSA has been breaking more lofty rules for a few decades, and they are just setting things aright!

Player or pawn, she's not the first. She just happens to be present when enough customers are clamoring for recognition based on achievement, not identity.

29 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Thanks for the link.

After listening to that (the host commentary I could do without), I came away with the impression that here was a young person that dedicated themself to the ideals of scouts, both boy and cub, and for which they did all the work without any of the official recognition, and now that they can become an official member, they would also like the opportunity to earn the highest award - not someone that joined up long ago to ONLY get the highest award - it was never just about Eagle, it just became also about Eagle.

Up until a few months ago, this person had done everything up through First Class without any official recognition or any idea that they would ever receive official recognition. If there was anyone that could say that they did scouts for the journey and the experience and not the swag, it would be her.

If anything, I gained more respect for her, not less.

Did she understand that she was not/if not  Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star. or Life ?   

10 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

Did she understand that she was not/if not  Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star. or Life ?   

I think she consistently states that her ranks are unofficial.  However, she is looking for official recognition.

8 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I think she consistently states that her ranks are unofficial.  However, she is looking for official recognition.

Great. Follow the same rules everyone else has. Join Scouts. Start at Scout and work your way up. Too bad if that means you’ll be 20 when you make Eagle. I have dozens of friends who’d like special treatment too. Life shouldn’t work based on how loud you complain. Certainly an Eagle shouldn’t expect that. 

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Back Pack said:

Great. Follow the same rules everyone else has. Join Scouts. Start at Scout and work your way up. Too bad if that means you’ll be 20 when you make Eagle. I have dozens of friends who’d like special treatment too. Life shouldn’t work based on how loud you complain. Certainly an Eagle shouldn’t expect that. 

We already have a thread debating this (I agree with you and at the same time do admire her work).   The question was if she understands that her ranks are not official.  It appears she understands that.  I probably shouldn’t have mentioned the podcast as it took this thread sideways.  

We should probably just start a thread titled Gary Ireland’s Twitter feed...