Buzzfeed - CSE Surbaugh - Girls - Scouter.com

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same reporter broke the news of the Girl Scout letter back to the BSA.   She has a source.  What I learned is that BSa leadership are clearly struggling with how to create a Boy Scout level p

Boy did I ever derail this thread. Back on topic, my daughter earned her Bobcat last night.

But no one says a thing when girls don't want boys in their club house. Then it is a safe space and empowering. 

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

Your first sentence seems inconsistent with you nest sentence.  To me, "build" is consistent with "restore."  But that is me.

The first quote is speaking to an initial effort, at the beginning, in that if one is transparent, then that builds trust.  The second is addressing that if there is already mistrust, just being transparent in and of itself, will not restore that trust.  Once an organization reaches that point of lack of trust, transparency is about managing that mistrust. 

Basically if BSA National, from the Get Go, back in the day had been open and honest with the member base about many things, then trust in BSA National would have been there.  They were not as has been demonstrated.  Probably not entirely deceptive but certainly directing facts to push an agenda (agendas) that was not supported by the majority of the membership.

Now at this point in time, a good portion of the member base does not have inherent trust in BSA National.  If they suddenly decided to become transparent / open and honest, many would not believe them.  So if they were to try to become more transparent (open and honest) they are coming at this from a harder position, nobody believes what they say.

1 hour ago, TAHAWK said:

The Don IMAGINED things.  Don't you advocate for the opposite?

Aw, give him a break, he had to refer to something with a "mill" in it, and what else is there, really?

And by the way, Don, just so you know, you seem to be tilting.    :)

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

The first quote is speaking to an initial effort, at the beginning, in that if one is transparent, then that builds trust.  The second is addressing that if there is already mistrust, just being transparent in and of itself, will not restore that trust.  Once an organization reaches that point of lack of trust, transparency is about managing that mistrust. 

Basically if BSA National, from the Get Go, back in the day had been open and honest with the member base about many things, then trust in BSA National would have been there.  They were not as has been demonstrated.  Probably not entirely deceptive but certainly directing facts to push an agenda (agendas) that was not supported by the majority of the membership.

Now at this point in time, a good portion of the member base does not have inherent trust in BSA National.  If they suddenly decided to become transparent / open and honest, many would not believe them.  So if they were to try to become more transparent (open and honest) they are coming at this from a harder position, nobody believes what they say.

OK.  Got it now. Thank you.

On 1/24/2018 at 9:30 AM, cocomax said:

In all the news stories I have been reading about girls joining boy scouts the one quote that I keep seeing over and over again from scouters that sums it all up and sticks with me is:

"It doesn't matter what boys think, it only matters what girls want."

That should be the new scout motto. 

So why should Boy Scouts be any different than the rest of the world.  We of the burlier gender mostly recognized by late

adolescense that we had very little to say in regard to who was really in charge.:rolleyes:

Edited by skeptic
6 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

"girls just wanna have fun"

everyone applauds that and no one cares if something is a girls only thing

but it is not reciprocal, apparently.

How is this a girls only thing?  Just because someone says girls just wanna have fun doesn't automatically mean the opposite for boys.  

• Thanks 1