Buzzfeed - CSE Surbaugh - Girls - Scouter.com

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same reporter broke the news of the Girl Scout letter back to the BSA.   She has a source.  What I learned is that BSa leadership are clearly struggling with how to create a Boy Scout level p

Boy did I ever derail this thread. Back on topic, my daughter earned her Bobcat last night.

But no one says a thing when girls don't want boys in their club house. Then it is a safe space and empowering. 

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Do you mean single gender dens within coed packs, or single gender patrols within coed troops?  Or both?

I think he meant Single gender patrols in coed Troops, which is what I was hearing rumblings of prior to the Buzz-Feed article... 

1 minute ago, Gwaihir said:

I think he meant Single gender patrols in coed Troops, which is what I was hearing rumblings of prior to the Buzz-Feed article... 

That's what I think he meant too, but I just wanted to make sure.  @Eagle94-A1?

After all, if we are going to get upset over rumors, we should at least make sure we understand the rumors correctly.  :)

• Upvote 1

In all the news stories I have been reading about girls joining boy scouts the one quote that I keep seeing over and over again from scouters that sums it all up and sticks with me is:

"It doesn't matter what boys think, it only matters what girls want."

That should be the new scout motto. 

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

It's gonna be a free for all.   Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave!.... dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I think you left out "human sacrifice!"  I have seen that movie more times than I care to admit.

More directly to the point, I think that does pretty much sum up the attitude that some people have been taking towards all of this.  Which, of course, people are free to do.  People are also free to take more of a wait-and-see attitude, which is what I choose to do.

1 hour ago, cocomax said:

In all the news stories I have been reading about girls joining boy scouts the one quote that I keep seeing over and over again from scouters that sums it all up and sticks with me is:

Isn't that way it is everywhere? :ph34r:

[Hiding from Mrs. Col. Flagg]

2 hours ago, cocomax said:

Wow, who was it that actually said that? Was that somewhere in this email?

Edited by Hawkwin
minor typo
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, cocomax said:

Who is the source of that quote?

Who is the source of any of these quotes and ideas?  None if it is coming from National.  National says there will be single gender Troops - they specifically said there would be no mixed gender Troops.  24 hours later, there's "reporting" all over the place that the BSA is going to have mixed gender troops, and maybe even mixed gender patrols.  Where did that come from?  Scouters speculating like wild because they can't seem to take what National has said at face value and they say they can't take what National says at face value because they don't trust them.

Trust is a two-way street - A Scout (and a Scouter) is Trustworthy.  As you continue to repeat these rumors, as you continue to state that you don't trust National, ask yourself just how Trustworthy you are.

• Upvote 4

Hold up. . . .

The quote ""It doesn't matter what boys think, it only matters what girls want."" is not from anyone of any importance in Boy Scouts, I have never seen anyone at the national level say that or write that.  I don't think they would ever say such a thing.

Two months ago I saw a video in which a Cub Master was sitting with her son and daughter and was being interviewed by CNN about girls joining the pack and those words came out of her mouth.  I will never forget that. 

I have since seen that quote pop up several more times in comment sections, other videos and twitter and sometimes it is just about girls and boys / women and men in general and not scouts it is just a general saying that is making the rounds now. 

What hit me so hard about that quote is NOT who said it, but deep down I know it is true.

• Upvote 1