Buzzfeed - CSE Surbaugh - Girls - Scouter.com

12 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

We will find out one way or another. The employee videos and upper level discussions eventually made their way here. I would think some more disclosures are inevitable as BSA has to move forward with planning and dissemination. It will take a lot of organizational discipline to control the pacing of information because of social media. I think for example in the case of a retro-active approval of girls prior service (ala Ms. Ireland) folks wanting to take credit for that 'victory' will outrace BSA National and, possibly, once again force them to make a PR announcement before prepping the rank and file. That's my speculation.

Agreed. I thought about emailing the journalist, but I'd have to do it with an email with my real name on it, and I'm not comfortable being quoted and having my words twisted to mean something I didn't say. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same reporter broke the news of the Girl Scout letter back to the BSA.   She has a source.  What I learned is that BSa leadership are clearly struggling with how to create a Boy Scout level p

Boy did I ever derail this thread. Back on topic, my daughter earned her Bobcat last night.

But no one says a thing when girls don't want boys in their club house. Then it is a safe space and empowering. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

Wow. I don't trust Buzzfeed much, but if this is true. That being said, I honestly think it's fake. The grammar and word choice seem very off for a Corporate executive, even in an informal email.

After 25 years with a Fortune 100 company, I can tell you that c-suite executives are as fallible and poor with diction/grammar/spelling as the rest of us.

He (Surbaugh) hasn't held a job outside of Scouting, has he? If not, that means he was brought up on the disjointed, systemic mis-management which is Scouting. We shouldn't be surprised that this whole roll out is being bungled like it is.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

After 25 years with a Fortune 100 company, I can tell you that c-suite executives are as fallible and poor with diction/grammar/spelling as the rest of us.

He (Surbaugh) hasn't held a job outside of Scouting, has he? If not, that means he was brought up on the disjointed, systemic mis-management which is Scouting. We shouldn't be surprised that this whole roll out is being bungled like it is.

Kinda feels like Boy Led chaos. LOL 

I read this article last night. Surbaugh is not the most eloquent speaker, and the writing sourced in the piece isn't that far out-of-step with his somewhat colloquial writing style, but I don't know how likely it is that Buzzfeed would be getting such an "inside scoop" while other, more credible sources remain oblivious. :rolleyes: I concur with the fact that there are some mighty worrisome things going on at National, but ... I can't say I feel "aghast," lol. 

3 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

I read this article last night. Surbaugh is not the most eloquent speaker, and the writing sourced in the piece isn't that far out-of-step with his somewhat colloquial writing style, but I don't know how likely it is that Buzzfeed would be getting such an "inside scoop" while other, more credible sources remain oblivious. :rolleyes: I concur with the fact that there are some mighty worrisome things going on at National, but ... I can't say I feel "aghast," lol. 

Give the guy a break, Mr. Surbaugh is an upaid volunteer.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

The same reporter broke the news of the Girl Scout letter back to the BSA.   She has a source. 

What I learned is that BSa leadership are clearly struggling with how to create a Boy Scout level parallel program and read scouter.com.

*whistles quietly*

*opens profile*

*changes location to Alaska*

Definitely adjusted my profile. I don't normally care much about anonymity, but on this situation it's nice to have.  

I don’t trust Buzzfeed - period.

Even if this article is fabricated, Surbaugh is still “deceptive and sleazy” (their words) for the manipulative survey deployed last summer to create a pretext of support for their predetermined outcome.

Whether or not the article is factual, it is obvious that BSA execs are scrambling. I find it appalling for them to announce an older girl program when they have no idea what it will actually look like. Why the rush to ram through something that hasn’t even been defined yet? It all smacks of (financial) desperation.

Edited by gblotter
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

It's a culture war item, Culture war articles drive clicks. 

The end justifies the means, the victims are of no consequence.

“But – to put it brutally – you can’t make an omelet without breaking eggs.”   Walter Duranty, New York Times reporter, on Stalin's genocide and forced collectivism.

Edited by numbersnerd
  • Upvote 1