I just think this rescue in Australia is cool. 

Lifeguards launched the drone, steered it towards the swimmers and dropped a “rescue pod” into the water, where it expanded so the swimmers could grab it and swim to shore. The rescue took just 70 seconds. The two swimmers were exhausted but unharmed. Drone cost $343,000.

More info here.

Does Philmont use drones? Other than for STEM, I wonder if any BSA camps are using drones.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

There is also a drone AED out there. I asked a friend if it would be feasible for Philmont, and he said drones would not.

I think the time window for an AED to make a difference is something like 5 minutes +/- isn't it? Maybe a rocket propelled one....but 'drone checks' of overdue crews might make sense but I suspect would detract from the experience...

1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I think the time window for an AED to make a difference is something like 5 minutes +/- isn't it? Maybe a rocket propelled one....but 'drone checks' of overdue crews might make sense but I suspect would detract from the experience...

10 minutes is the window for AED use.

Temperature varies depending on which part you're in. But overall I don't think heat would be an issue.

Slightly thinner air would probably require operator adjustment.

I would think the wind in a mountain range would be the most problematic.

I think you're going to see a lot of rescue/search and rescue with drones in the future.  Think about the time and energy that can be saved in say searching for a lost hiker with a handful of drones ahead of a handful of on the ground personnel. 

10 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

Question for those who have been to Philmont- How hot does it get?

Possible that if the heat is to extreme the drones can’t operate.

Maybe the heat would not be a problem for drones at Philmont, but the hailstorm that I recall witnessing there on a July afternoon in 1974 probably wouldn’t do a drone much good. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 10:56 PM, NJCubScouter said:

Maybe the heat would not be a problem for drones at Philmont, but the hailstorm that I recall witnessing there on a July afternoon in 1974 probably wouldn’t do a drone much good. :)

Temperature extremes do effect battery efficiencies.

Air density at 6400'  is 44% of that a sea-level...

Without satellite based control, operation in heavy terrain is very limited. (Line of site or less).

On 2/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, WasE61 said:

Temperature extremes do effect battery efficiencies.

Air density at 6400'  is 44% of that a sea-level...

Without satellite based control, operation in heavy terrain is very limited. (Line of site or less).

The summer storms at Philmont are indeed violent and sudden. 

6400 ft is about the lowest elevation at the ranch.  What is the density at 10,000?

I think Baldy is 12,442 ft high