OA to end AoL ceremonies?

A number of long time OA guys have reported that national has decided to end the use of native American regalia in all AoL, cub colors, callouts, or any ceremony where non OA members are present. All in the name of never offending anyone in any way at any time I guess.  Not sure about the status of dance teams.  

Rumor has it this will be announced at NOAC this sumner.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't believe culture is something that can be "owned." It's a dangerous path, claiming that something as broad and esoteric as culture can be owned and dictated by one group of people. That's one o

Somewhere a member of the G2SS police is losing their mind.

You guys are thinking like adults. Remember what it was like to be a boy? OA was special because of the Native American stuff. Take that away and you have yet another service organization but one that

Oh no! That would be tragic; my boys LOVE when the OA comes all decked out in full regalia for their Arrow of Light ceremonies! 

I note however the use of the word rumor ... I hope that is just the case here. So many stories get bandied about here sometimes, one can only hope this is one of those times when the tale proves to be unfounded. Luckily the majority of my current crop o' boys will be getting their A'sofL before NOAC! :p

• Upvote 1

We have heard this rumor in various incarnations before, and it has never materialized.

That said, I have no doubt there will be a very concerted effort to do away with Native American references to almost any degree within a few years. It saddens me greatly, but there are too many that are too loud in that very vocal minority that wishes it to be so.

• Upvote 1

When I crossed over a few years ago, we had no OA come. Not a single one. I was a den chief for about two years and never saw any. 

If someone could describe what they contribute to the ceremony that would be great since I’ve never experienced it.

Edited by ItsBrian
Spelling

From what I understand, there is some grounds to this rumor. I have it in good faith from a fellow Scouter serving on one of the national OA subcommittees that this has in fact been discussed. He cited concerns over 1) changing public opinion about the OA's usage of American Indian elements, and 2) the use of American Indian culture in Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting advancement has some OA leadership concerned about the OA being "grouped in" if a pack or troop uses AIA in poor taste.

I suspect that this was brought up at the OA National Planning Meeting that happened this December, and I suspect either a decision will be announced or more input will be solicited in August at NOAC 2018.

2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

When I crossed over a few years ago, we had no OA come. Not a single one. I was a den chief for about two years and never saw any. 

If someone could describe what they contribute to the ceremony that would be great since I’ve never experienced it.

Well it is hard to say, not knowing what your ceremony looked like.  A crossover ceremony doesn't have to be done by an OA team.  Some troops like ours have regalia and perform the ceremony for a few packs.  It is Native American based and the boys run the entire ceremony for the boys crossing over.  I am sure it differs across the nation but it really is somethat impresses the scouts and families.

We've used the ceremony multiple times locally and I've not noticed anything that would be obviously offensive (granted, I am not a Native America so my awareness would not be as high).

That being stated, what is the origin of the ceremony? What is the relevance to crossover? It always struck me as something rather arbitrary as it pertains to Cub Scouts, scouting, and the Crossover. Never bothered by it, but it seemed to not fit the event.

When the OA comes to do our AofL crossovers, it's a very meaningful and impressive event.

The lights are dimmed, and a large, deep drum starts beating slowly as OA members walk in to the room in full Native American regalia. Then one begins to tell the legend of the Arrow of Light and the young brave who led his tribe out of darkness with his arrows (I can't remember enough of the details to retell it here), and then he calls out the names of the boys who have achieved the rank of AofL. The boys are charged to live the Oath and Law and the Outdoor Code, then their parents are called up so that the boys can award them their parents' pins - all of this by OA members in full costume, which the Cub Scouts always find impressive. There is then a special dance to celebrate.

If any of the boys are also bridging over to Boy Scouts, there is further story-telling, and the OA speaker/dancer guides them over our special "bridge" to their new leaders, who then have time to offer a few words, followed by their new patrol leaders welcoming them into their new patrols. Then more dancing and celebration, and even photo opportunities after the meeting.

Having their additional elements in our program has gone a long way towards encouraging my Webelos to advance in rank, and it gives purpose and meaning to what might otherwise just be another patch on their shirt. It's solemn, but also fun and exciting - the boys are usually riveted to what's going on, and the parents LOVE it. The big drum sounds mighty fine in our big multi-porpose room, and I can't thank my lodge enough whenever they pull off an especially good performance.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Latin Scot, sounds a lot like what our chapter does for the packs in the district.   Except for the dancing.  sadly all our dancers turned 21 and moved on a few years back and we had no younger scouts to take their place. 

We do an outdoor ceremony where we also tell the tale of the young brave who saved his fellow tribesmen by shooting a flaming arrow.   We actually have the smallest member of our team act out the part and shoot a burning arrow .  The cubs love it!  

3 hours ago, numbersnerd said:

Somewhere a member of the G2SS police is losing their mind.

I hope so.    Did I mention the 5 foot 1 inch high monkey bridge? The one everyone has to cross while juggling a chainsaw, ax, and a gasoline lantern? 

Actually we have a whole host of safetIy precautions  we go through.

• Haha 1

Our Lodge Advisor attended an event at Philmont Training Center last fall and it was mentioned that, henceforth, OA chapters are NOT to conduct Arrow of Light ceremonies in Native American regalia.  (As a member of the ceremonies team in my youth Lodge, I was always encouraged to call it "regalia" and never a "costume."  Not knocking anyone on the Forum--just an FYI from my Chapter Advisor.)  This doesn't mean that Arrowmen cannot conduct an AoL ceremony out of regalia.  No, it wouldn't have the same effect but would still be impressive to the Webelos in that they see older Boy Scouts in uniform with bright white sashes welcoming them to Boy Scouting.

Over the years, I have kept somewhat close tabs on how the Order of the Arrow is viewed by various Native American nations.  Some support the OA and others don't.  There have been lawsuits filed against the BSA by various nations, so moving forward the OA will have to be cautious about how ceremonies in NA regalia are depicted in various media.  My understanding is that there shouldn't be any published photographs of Arrowmen in regalia whatsoever.  (In theory, no Ordeal, Brotherhood, or Vigil ceremonies should be videotaped or photographed anyway...)

Edited by LeCastor