Advancement + Grade Level

14 hours ago, perdidochas said:

That's what my son chose to do. We gave him his choice whether to to Bears twice (with me as the Den Leader), or go ahead and go to Webelos. He chose to stay in Bears twice--for him, it was less of an ego blow to be in a den with his current classmates, rather than the ones in the grade ahead of him.  I think this should be done based on the individual scout. A blanket rule doesn't really work, IMHO.  

I discussed this with Mrs Turtle and she wished she had one boy stay back a year in scouts so he would be more socially in sync with his contemporaries. So "we don't repeat" is not an iron clad rule...I will eat my words. (crow over a campfire...does this count for cooking MB somewhere?)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has earned Tiger as of last Sunday.  We found out half way through Kindergarten that he has a vision problem.  So he is still kinda playing catch up, while everyone is moving forward.  So the probl

My philosophy is once in a den, he stay's with the den. I had one Cub in the same situation, and he stayed with us. I had another Cub who quit before he failed. He later came back to Cub Scouts in ano

Probably a case by case basis...where are his friends?  

9 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I discussed this with Mrs Turtle and she wished she had one boy stay back a year in scouts so he would be more socially in sync with his contemporaries. So "we don't repeat" is not an iron clad rule...I will eat my words. (crow over a campfire...does this count for cooking MB somewhere?)

Well, as I said, it depends on the individual.  It worked to hold my son back, but a friend of his did just fine by staying with his age cohort.  

2 hours ago, perdidochas said:

Well, as I said, it depends on the individual.  It worked to hold my son back, but a friend of his did just fine by staying with his age cohort.  

I am glad that the Guide to Advancement gives parents the option to do either one based on what is best for their Cub Scout.  Individuals are different, and what is best for one is not necessarily best for another.

• Upvote 1