Advancement + Grade Level

Say a boy needed to repeat the first grade.  If he earned Tiger does he go ahead and work on Wolf with the rest of the den even though he is doing first grade again or is he effectively done with Cub Scouts since there is not really a way to catch up with a grade and age match?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has earned Tiger as of last Sunday.  We found out half way through Kindergarten that he has a vision problem.  So he is still kinda playing catch up, while everyone is moving forward.  So the probl

My philosophy is once in a den, he stay's with the den. I had one Cub in the same situation, and he stayed with us. I had another Cub who quit before he failed. He later came back to Cub Scouts in ano

Probably a case by case basis...where are his friends?  

https://www.scouting.org/Home/CubScouts/Parents/Awards/advancement.aspx

The Wolf rank is for Scouts who have finished first grade (or who are 8 years old).

Personally I thought it would have been 7 yrs old in that most 2nd graders are in that range. Might be best to consult your UC and see what the options are. Odds are they will work to find a way to retain the Scout, especially if they have completed year in the program.

14 minutes ago, numbersnerd said:

https://www.scouting.org/Home/CubScouts/Parents/Awards/advancement.aspx

The Wolf rank is for Scouts who have finished first grade (or who are 8 years old).

Personally I thought it would have been 7 yrs old in that most 2nd graders are in that range. Might be best to consult your UC and see what the options are. Odds are they will work to find a way to retain the Scout, especially if they have completed year in the program.

I want to say that was put in for our LDS brothers who still use the old 3 year Cub Scout program in use prior to 1982 when Tigers were introduced.

I know in my neck of the woods, once they join a den, they stay with them.

1)  The boy in question is mine.

2) I am the DL.

3) We talked about holding him back in Kindergarten bet decided against it.  I sent a message to his teacher tonight to see if its something to think about.  So, its not a done deal yet.

My philosophy is once in a den, he stay's with the den. I had one Cub in the same situation, and he stayed with us. I had another Cub who quit before he failed. He later came back to Cub Scouts in another pack. He was put in the grade specific den there because A) He was not involved with my den at that level and B) His schoolmates were in that den.

Unlike school, you and you son have a lot of options with Cub Scouts.

• Upvote 2

I was always told "we don't repeat grades in Cub Scouts". It depends where his buddies/peer groups go. If he is pulled out to home school then that is another issue. The main thing is if he is having a fun time with boys who welcome into his group.

I had this happen to one son who had to repeat third grade, he stayed with his den. It worked out OK, occasionally his schedule was different. He went on to Boy Scouts and got his Eagle, too. In retrospect I anguished way too much over this.

13 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

1)  The boy in question is mine.

2) I am the DL.

3) We talked about holding him back in Kindergarten bet decided against it.  I sent a message to his teacher tonight to see if its something to think about.  So, its not a done deal yet.

Happened to me. Best move my parents made. I wasn’t emotionally ready to go up with my peers though I had few friends then. Wasn’t a big deal. Scouting helped me grow up and learn to behave and make friends. It just got me to college one year after everyone else. 

16 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I want to say that was put in for our LDS brothers who still use the old 3 year Cub Scout program in use prior to 1982 when Tigers were introduced.

I know in my neck of the woods, once they join a den, they stay with them.

Ok, that makes SOME sense, just makes it unnecessarily confusing. Agreed about keeping them in the same den. Why kill the enthusiasm and camaraderie?

• Upvote 1

I would imagine making him repeat his Tiger year could possibly sour him on scouting altogether. The Tiger year is kind of low-key to begin with, intro to scouting, basic "backyard jungle" type of stuff, etc. He might be bored doing it all again, with the worst-case scenario being he gets so bored that he doesn't want to do it anymore.

There have been some opinions around this forum that cub scouts is already too long of a program, a sentiment that I agree with. 2nd grade is probably more ideal for starting scouting anyway, and would likely lead to greater long-term retention. So making a kid go through an extra year of the Tiger program would, I think, probably do more harm than good in this regard as well.  

• NJCubScouter changed the title to Advancement + Grade Level