Interesting discussion last night

2 hours ago, mashmaster said:

OK, I need to get a copy for myself.  Which version should I look for?

3rd edition VOLUMES (emphasis) 1 &2 . IT WAS AWESOME! ( ok I'm shouting now ;) )  Lent it to a friend whom I thought could use some help. And he moved unexpectedly without returning it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our troop hated mb sessions during meetings. In fact we had several spls give speeches during elections on how we’d spend more time outside than doing advancement work. These guys won all the time. If

I don't know why so many Boy Scout leaders keep insisting that boys just want to have "fun." There are scouts who actually do want to work towards advancement and no, that doesn't always meant th

When in doubt ask Bill! From the Handbook for Scoutmasters, 3rd edition, 1938, Vol. 2.  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

Agreed.

And as said before, only a few actually pay attention and do all the requirements.

Advancement is a issue in our troop as well. All they want to do is play games. The best way we have fixed it is the ASM (we only have one active one), and usually the SPL (me) or the Guide and we sit down one by one with the scouts who have their books. If they don’t have their books, then it’s their missed opportunity. Anyway, we basically guide them along. If needed, we teach them requirement(s) and then they come back after practicing, demonstrate the skills (orally or physically), and then that requirement is done.

When we did try MBs, nobody paid attention (myself and another person did), and now we are one step closer than the rest because they decided to talk.

I was taught that is you could make a topic the subject of a game, you "had it made."   By "game" was also meant patrol competition.   There are few barriers to that approach for any advancement topic.

"Advancement is the natural outcome of good program" ties into the above concept.  

Scouts have proved well able, in my experience, to come up with such games.

And they can usually be active.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TAHAWK said:

I was taught that is you could make a topic the subject of a game, you "had it made."   By "game" was also meant patrol competition.   There are few barriers to that approach for any advancement topic.

"Advancement is the natural outcome of good program" ties into the above concept.  

Scouts have proved well able, in my experience, to come up with such games.

And they can usually be active.

I don’t think it would work out well for a small troop like ours. It would be 3 v 6, and 3 in the one Patrol are almost at Eagle.

3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

3rd edition VOLUMES (emphasis) 1 &2 . IT WAS AWESOME! ( ok I'm shouting now ;) )  Lent it to a friend whom I thought could use some help. And he moved unexpectedly without returning it.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

Think he is suggesting this one.

smhb3.jpg

http://www.inquiry.net/adult/methods/3rd.htm

Thanks

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I don’t think it would work out well for a small troop like ours. It would be 3 v 6, and 3 in the one Patrol are almost at Eagle.

Score individuals and a patrol's score is average of its member's scores.  A  Scout came up with that.  It's only an accident if patrols are even in members or "fire power."

On 1/16/2018 at 8:47 PM, Sentinel947 said:

Our Troop does not offer Merit Badges as part of the troop meeting. We have tried it, it is boring and a logistics problem. (What do the Scouts who already have the badge do?)

Scouts, buddies, or patrols can work on a badge during our Troop Meeting if they'd like, or schedule time before the meeting to meet with the MBC. 

Warning rant ahead:

Many of our Scouts do the local merit badge college. I no longer counsel merit badges at merit badge colleges, because frankly, the pass rates for the badge I counseled (Communications) was abysmal, and I have more entertaining things to do on three Saturday mornings than having scouts sit in my merit badge class and come out with partials because they don't do the prework or prepare the presentations they need for the badge. Badges should be a individual or small group thing. Rant over. 

Some badges and counselors do well in the Merit badge college format, but I finding it lacking vs a buddy pair of scouts working with a counselor. 

I agree with your thoughts about the clinics if pertaining to Eagle required are offered, and in many cases, based on the size of group if not run well, at summer camp too.  I don’t agree with a requirement that might have 6 or 7 answers to list, 6 or 7 scouts give an answer, and all 15 there get credit for it.  Now if it’s a clinic for non required for badges scouts may not always experience, I’m good with that, as it may generate interest in a new hobby or even a new vocation that they normally would never experience.