Patrol Method - Best Practices

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seeing how as the Patrol is the fundamental unit of Scouting, that the Patrol Method is the only method and that today in Scouting we do not see patrol method being used enough or very well, I thought

A few thoughts   1) camping 300 feet away from other patrols and adults. That way are close enough in an emergency, but far enough away to be independent 2) Adults don't interfere excep

It’s really more of an attitude. You do what you can do with your resources. The patrols in my troop as a youth always roped off the patrol campsites whether or not we were 100 yards, feet, or whisper

Posted Images

Living in the midwest we have a tough time getting campsites large enough to enforce the 300 foot rule for the 4 patrols that we have. The scouts do a good job keeping 50 away, cooking together, cleaning etc but seem to congregate as a troop when they have a camp fire. I see this as a good start and we always looking for a better way to keep the apart.

The only option would be reserving 4 campsites but that would bust our budget. We don't the option of camping on a farm or on someone property  sp thats not an option either.

Any tips from those living in the flatlands of the Chicago area on how to separate the Patrols?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TMSM said:

Living in the midwest we have a tough time getting campsites large enough to enforce the 300 foot rule for the 4 patrols that we have. The scouts do a good job keeping 50 away, cooking together, cleaning etc but seem to congregate as a troop when they have a camp fire. I see this as a good start and we always looking for a better way to keep the apart.

The only option would be reserving 4 campsites but that would bust our budget. We don't the option of camping on a farm or on someone property  sp thats not an option either.

Any tips from those living in the flatlands of the Chicago area on how to separate the Patrols?

Sometimes it is difficult as you state. The coming together for campfire seems to be a great idea. So would inter-patrol competitions.

To generate a real separation, one could encourage single patrol outings on occassion. This allows for different types of outings based on readiness of the patrol and on interest. Maybe one or 2 per year.

It’s really more of an attitude. You do what you can do with your resources. The patrols in my troop as a youth always roped off the patrol campsites whether or not we were 100 yards, feet, or whispering distances apart. Scouts of other patrols were expected to ask for permission to enter the other campsites.

Barry

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
16 hours ago, Eagledad said:

It’s really more of an attitude.

I think it boils down to this.

You do what you can in the given geography.  300ft (or whatever it is), in spirit

You typically only get that acre lot from a generous farmer or landowner. Some community parks/fairgrounds will give that, especially if the boys plan on doing some service. Game lands often have fields that large. Many wilderness recreation areas insist on that kind of spacing - in groups smaller than the average patrol, but that also predicates that your boys are have become disciplined in things like bear bagging, water purification, Leave no Trace, etc ...

In the hills of WPa/WV; however, 50 feet can feel like a mile ... easily out of sight and sound. Where allowed, I'll bring my dog, who doubles duty as SPL patrolling each site. Problem is, he hates cyclists (we've learned the hard way), and we have to find places that don't appeal to mountain bikers! So, having him along is a rare treat.

22 hours ago, TMSM said:

My troop is in SW Ohio, and I agree with that. There are virtually no public campgrounds where we can get the ideal 300 feet separation without it costing an arm and leg. We make do with what we can afford. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, TMSM said:

I'm biased, but I suggest camping in Wisconsin 😁

Seriously, the State Parks and Forest Group sites are around $8 a night if u are a scout group, and they are nice large sites. Just have to ask when making a rez.

Edited by Cubmaster Pete
28 minutes ago, Cubmaster Pete said:

Seriously, the State Parks and Forest Group sites are around $8 a night if u are a scout group, and they are nice large sites. Just have to ask when making a rez.

Meanwhile we are paying around $30 - $40 a night in NJ...

18 minutes ago, Cubmaster Pete said:

Ouch. Well, did anyone ever ask if there was a scout rate? I had to ask for it.

Yeah, we’ve tried. Even scout camps are that, sometimes more. Camporees around us are 50-60 now.

1 hour ago, Cubmaster Pete said:

Do you have some recommended parks?  We are looking for some good options in Wisconsin this July for a Pack Family camp.

7 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Do you have some recommended parks?  We are looking for some good options in Wisconsin this July for a Pack Family camp.

Peninsula, Point Beach, Kohler-Andrae, Blue Mounds, Kettle Moraine North and South. 

If you can get into Peninsula you would not be dissappointed. Not sure how far you are willing to drive or where u are coming from.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Cubmaster Pete said:

Have you gotten that rate as an out of state group? Online they list it as $10 for WISCONSIN non-profit youth groups and $40 otherwise. I don't see any discount for other Scout groups. Plus parking passes for all the vehicles...

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/camping/group.html